John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
PMA said:
There is a feedback and feedback. This has nothing to do with conventional dominant-pole VFB design. 57dB and 1.7MHz BW, no slew rate limitation. This counts.

We care how it sounds, not only how it measures THD in audio band.

"there is feedback and feedback" - that's the second best joke I've heard lately. The first is the Robert Heinlein quote: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

And of course, when anything else fails, join the golden ear brigade team.

Wanna a circuit that has over 120dB OL gain, 100MHz unity gain OL bandwidth and is unconditionally stable for resistive loads? Take a look at the attachment. Now, try to figure out how it works, and what would it take to allow capactive loads (and hence make it useful for driving a power stage). Hint: you may still get over 120dB gain in the audio band, while limiting the BW at around 2 MHz.

Of course, this circuit sounds like crap :D It's built out of dirty sand and uses that "other" NFB that you dislike.

Attachments

• pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,134
Out of nothing else to do, let us take apart SE's question. How quiet is good enough? What is good enough for me, an old man? What about a young woman? What about a really low output MC cartridge like the original Ortofon cartridges, that this design was originally made for?
Why do you think that I chose 2 ohms as the input? That is the DCR of the Ortofon cartridge. Yes, it is the cartridge itself that sets the gain. What is the noise figure of this preamp with an Ortofon cartridge? Is it 3dB, 6dB, 10dB? Something else? Hint: With a 10 ohm cartridge, it is 3dB. :geezer:

Status
Not open for further replies.