John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
dimitri said:

Thanks, did you have a chance to evaluate OPA827?

Yes, I got a few engineering samples from TI. A truly amazing FET input opamp. Realistically, audio doesn't need anything better than this, as a low level gain block.

Bottom line, there's nothing wrong that I can measure with this opamp, in the audio range. About the "sound", I'll let others talk.

Newsflash!

John Curl Kinda likes transformers for low noise..............:bigeyes:

Come on John is 0.1 % distortion at 20 hz relavent in this application?

What about distortion inheritant in the cartridge, cutter head, microphone, tape head...............speakers?

You might be wanting to guild the invisible lilly .......;)

Regards.

Jam

SY,

I might be wrong but it seems to me that all the other forms of distortion in the playback system would swamp out any distortion inherent in the transformer.

This is not to say designing for lowest noise or distortion s not a noble goal but at some point we have to be realistic and choose the best compromise.

Jam

I might be wrong but it seems to me that all the other forms of distortion in the playback system would swamp out any distortion inherent in the transformer.
Normally distortion is additive (aurally for sure).
I.E. One form does not swamp out another, but
adds to it, creating further audible degradation.

If that were not true, these discussions would
be moot, since loudspeakers would 'swamp out'
all but the grossest of distortions.

Mr.Curl,

Get out of the way? Now, now...................you claim that you are here to teach...........so teach!

It sees to me that you are using this this forum as a vechicle to let the the rest of the membership know great you are, by your repeated chest pounding............pity.

Regards,

Jam

Hitsware, you are on track. I can't say that a single input transformer will completely change the sound quality of an audio chain, but I have spent the last 40 years and more, trying to provide an alternative.
By the way, Jam is mad at me, because I won't help him privately anymore. He must now rely on others. Goodbye Jam and good luck. :geezer:

Status
Not open for further replies.