John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
I just checked with Jack Bybee. He is formally forbidden with documentation by the US government to ship his modules to Russia, and most other places.

I guess Germany does not count, or was the last unit without them? I don't want to see you in trouble. It's hard to believe who's lurking here, Les Tyler emailed me and now I might have to make good on my offer, which is fine something good might come out of it.

Re: Newsflash!

jam said:

Come on John is 0.1 % distortion at 20 hz relavent in this application?
Jam

Since distortions begin at a fundamental and cascade into harmonics and some other variations on that theme...and interference patterns rarely cascade into an increased level of sub-harmonic distortion (unless you count the recent adventures into ultrasonic audio preproduction via interference patterns) ..and add that to the sensitivity to 'polarization' and distortion under load that a transformer exhibits..then yes, low frequency distortions at high levels do end up counting-as sources of issues goes.

I am still a fan of transformers for MC cartridges, and have not been convinced via listening that I could like SS amps more...but I am certainly open to the idea.

MikeBettinger said:

This describes what I hear when a transformer is inserted..

That's OK, Mike. I understood exactly what you meant. You are talking about adequate 'drive' mass. But transistor circuits suffer from the same/similar issues, with regards to the signal and noise riding together. We tend to identify one, sonically, with the other. We don't really know how to separate the two,as in reproduction, they've always been there. Circuits that emphasize 'it', tend to be prized by those who have forgotten how to intelligently connect the sound of live music to reproduction.

Sometimes those who do recognize the distortions..attempt to come up with fixes-- that kill the signal. They little or seldom realize that the two are inseparable, and must be killed at the transistor design and circuit design and parts implementation level. Few--is the designer who recognizes this. But really..all that can be done until we have some better controls and or understandings of the quantum situations..is to do our best to lessen the effects. At this point it involves intelligent design and listening intelligently to our creations.

KBK,

In the context of this discussion, what are the levels in question that are used here..............nothing is perfect but could it be that noise might be a bigger issue in this case.................I am not disagreeing with you but till someone shows otherwise lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Jam

john curl said:
I just checked with Jack Bybee. He is formally forbidden with documentation by the US government to ship his modules to Russia, and most other places.

The secrecy over the Bybee devices amuses me. I got a few a couple years ago, unsoldered the end caps and removed the resistor; then I drove the raw device with a generator/amp through the AUDIO range, stepping the level. I logged the output the phase response between input and output. I kind of speculated what was going on and formed an opinion based on The results and what I heard. Duh. Still have the CSV files.

Hint, most of the action is in the 1K to 3K range.

I even ran down the probable material he was screening onto the ceramic core. It's a quantum tunneling material used for sensors. It all made sense.

Not high tech enough. Maybe Mr. Bybee can supply a sim model? Oh, I forgot! Then the spy types for the gov would have to slap his hand...

Don't bother barking John, I given up trying, but this is like fish in a barrel. I can walk down stairs, take a picture of the device I used but it would mean nothing to the rocket scientist assembled here.

It's not the device itself, Mike, it's the cracking of the the door, the chink in the armour it provides. Anything that helps people think is strictly verboten. I've been threatened directly, in my office, in person, from people in the US defence industry, for speaking on public forums about the things I've figured out. Not that I think I'm special, 100's to 1000's have been there before. The holes are getting bigger and bigger,and more difficult to plug.

Your signal would be swamped with the inherent noise from such a large mass, is my guess. A MC signal is very tiny. I could be wrong, but that's my off the cuff guess as to the result. You need to use a transformer of comparable mass characteristic, with regards to drive mass vs mass driven.

A weird simile would be that using such large transformer on such a tiny signal would be like using a 6000 lb fulcrum and lever system to move/leverage about a 10 lb weight. Not a good mass matching, with regards to nimbleness of the translated signal, besides the mass of the transformer dominating the linearity of the signal that gets through. Audiophile terms for the result would likely center around being spoken of as 'noisy, slow, and dark'.

Status
Not open for further replies.