John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
bear said:

You ought to. Scott ought to. Everyone who is participating in a discussion of what makes or does not make this unreasonably high priced b*****snippie*****that some things that you expected to sound "good" fall short? Just would like to know.

Good/bad does not = sounds different/does not sound different and you’re going to impressive lengths to pointlessly justify a straw man argument. But this is all rather boring.

:yawn:

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Joshua_G said:

As far as I can tell (including personal phone conversations), John (John Curl) is and have been himself all along this thread from day 1 he posted here and all along this thread. (For which I highly respect him, first and foremost as a human being).

However, JC being himself didn't prevent others, including you, stinius, from attacking, mocking and ridiculing him.

So, stinius, please, do yourself and all of us here a favor – take a stand and stand firm on your stand.
Do you perceive JC as a human being?
Do you perceive JC as an accomplished electronics engineer and audio designer?
Do you respect JC?
– If yes, how does it manifest?
– If no, what are you after in this thread?

Joshua

The post was meant for JC (not for you) and I think he can answer it by himself so please just have a little respect for him and let him speak for himself.

By the way if the post represents how you would like to discuss, it’s fine by me.

Cheers
Stinius

Boring perhaps, Glenn, but you ducked and bobbed and weaved rather than to answer the specific question I asked of you!

I fail to see any strawman present.

Good/bad may or may not correlate to other things.

In Scott's case it's a bit easier since he defined the situation as having one single variable that yielded two very specific results/outcomes - as noted previously.

In specific, he found he could hear a crucial difference (not heard before) but at the same time things that likely ought to have sounded "good" he described as now "bad" sounding.

But one has only two possible choices in general terms:
- things either sound good or bad to you.
- things all sound pretty much the same - or you don't care at all how it sounds

My feeling is that if it doesn't sound good, what is the bloomin' point of it?

What is the point of error cancelling amplifier circuitry if it doesn't sound good, or sound better than some other amplifier circuit?

Why would Mr. Curl bother with the things he did in the Blowtorch if they didn't sound any good? I know for a certainty that the milled chassis was not the first pass/first idea for example - less expensive means didn't yield "the desired result." That had to have a negative effect on his bottom line... and certainly there are other ways to make a "slick" looking box, if that was the goal, eh?

So, Glenn, please indicate some sort of response regarding your own subjective perceptions of things sonic. The example I suggested was to comment on your own various amplifier projects?
:rolleyes:

_-_-bear

PS. Mr. Pass would you please attend to the matter of that thread by jneutron that I referenced?

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
bear said:
Boring perhaps, Glenn, but you ducked and bobbed and weaved rather than to answer the specific question I asked of you!

I fail to see any strawman present.

Bobbed and weaved? No, I ignored because my subjective evaluations of my own equiptment are irrelevent.
For the third time here is your strawman (now put on your glasses if necessary):

bear said:
Furthermore, according the thesis you (and others) usually put forward, the headphones ought to sound no different than any other reasonably good electromechanical interface to the ear,
[/B]

That is utterly inane and isn't a thesis usually put forward by anyone. Straw man!

As many of us seem to agree on importance of grounding issues, I would like to show a result of improper grounding scheme, the one that is quite often used. The measurement is done at power amp speaker terminals and spikes are a result of the grounding scheme chosen.

I can comment on a problem later, if there is an interest. I apologize myself that I am quite busy, so not able to be 'permanently' here to reply.

Attachments

• sn_time_s.png
    sn_time_s.png
    52 KB · Views: 476
bear said:
The ground issue was previous brought up, and unfortunately misplaced into the wrong section on diyaudio. Electronics & Parts are not about ground theory as far as I can tell.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134500

Apparently the moderators did not see fit to move it to a more appropriate venue, like this Solid State sub-title. I wish they had, or would still... it has not flourishedfrom a lack of visibility sitting in the wrong place, imho.

The way to handle it if the "tube guys" want to see it is to put a pointer on a sticky in that section...imo. (at least long enough to attract enough of them over...)

Mr. Pass??

_-_-bear

I am surprised by the reaction.

I thought that we were discussing the influence of techniques and components on the quality of sound.
My questions are not related to the understanding of grounding techniques but were about the experience of the influence of some grounding techniques on the quality of sound.

It seems that people are very quick to give definitive advices on the use of components and topologies.
If someone believes he is an expert able to make these judgments, I would expect him to have the experience to answer my questions. They are related to phenomena that have an unquestionable influence on sound.
It is easier to talk about esoteric effects because there nobody can argue that it is BS or incompetence or not
Let's also discuss the influence and importance from a sonic point of view of some important and real stuff. We would be surprised that very second order effects from an electrical point of view have first order effect from a sonic point of view. This is the purpose of my question and I believe that it pertains to this thread. Otherwise, don't discuss: wires, resistors, capacitors, dielectric absorption, feedback shielding, there are other threads for that.

JPV

PMA said:
As many of us seem to agree on importance of grounding issues, I would like to show a result of improper grounding scheme, the one that is quite often used. The measurement is done at power amp speaker terminals and spikes are a result of the grounding scheme chosen.

I can comment on a problem later, if there is an interest. I apologize myself that I am quite busy, so not able to be 'permanently' here to reply.

A wise man in an analog seminar quite a long time ago gave the advice to realize that the connection lines in a circuit diagram do have an impedance. :) (if the circuit is actually build)

PMA said:

One important comment is IMHO: how would you describe from a sonic point of view this faulty way and its cure.

Thanks

PS: Show us the scheme, we can figure out what's happening.

PMA said:

Pavel, the circuit, or wiring, would be a great assistance in understanding the issue.

JPV said:

I thought that we were discussing the influence of techniques and components on the quality of sound.
My questions are not related to the understanding of grounding techniques but were about the experience of the influence of some grounding techniques on the quality of sound.

I fail to see the difference between grounding techniques and the impact of grounding on sound. Good grounding techniques will give good sound and vice versa.

JPV said:

One important comment is IMHO: how would you describe from a sonic point of view this faulty way and its cure.

See above.

Originally posted by JPV

This is the origin of Ground Loop Coupling.

A Ground Loop means current flowing in more than one path, so, it's not only that the ground path has impedance. However, the ground path's impedance matters even when there are no ground loops.

Originally posted by JPV

See Don White Consulting literature for an in depth analysis and design guide lines.

A link would assist.

PMA, contamination of signal-gnd with charging-currents of ps-caps ?

Jakob2 said:

A wise man in an analog seminar quite a long time ago gave the advice to realize that the connection lines in a circuit diagram do have an impedance. :) (if the circuit is actually build)

People should also realize that most circuit diagrams are not an accurate representation of how the circuit should be physically built,especially wrt. grounding.

klaas

Joshua_G said:
[snip
A Ground Loop means current flowing in more than one path, so, it's not only that the ground path has impedance. However, the ground path's impedance matters even when there are no ground loops.
[snip]
That's part of the story. Even if there is only a single ground path with zero impedance, there might still be a ground loop. This is the case when the ground return path deviates from the signal path in such a way that a non zero loop area is created . That's why it's called ground loop.

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Bobbed and weaved? No, I ignored because my subjective evaluations of my own equiptment are irrelevent.
For the third time here is your strawman (now put on your glasses if necessary):

That is utterly inane and isn't a thesis usually put forward by anyone. Straw man!

Dear Glenn,

IF one does not hear any differences in various "properly engineered" and "low distortion" amplifiers that is an entirely different thing than if one does.

Many have claimed that there is no audible difference to be found or heard. Many. You may not have, I don't know. I was inquiring.

Scott apparently hears something going on now that he has these certain headphones.

If necessary please ignore the section that you quoted, and work with the rest of what was said? It's not critical - it's merely a crude condensation and approximation of a viewpoint that I see/hear oft stated in one form or another. Surely you can understand this?

What we are trying to get at is if there is any relationship between various participants personal subjective experiences and their objective engineering and measurement experiences.

Should this be ignored?
Should we discuss minutia in terms of circuit improvements, and never consider if we ever hear any of it?
Or to be blunt, are people talking about technical details who have never personally experienced the sonic results of such things?
Does project "A" sound the same as project "B" to anyone here?

The purpose of all this effort is supposed to have something to do with how it sounds. Although the hobby of building/designing things is fun.

_-_-bear

An aside, being a Ham Radio operator, I have come across people who collect ham radios and never run them, people who build transmitters and never transmit through them, people who recondition old radios and never use them.

That's a bit like people who collect cars but never drive them.
Some people collect cars AND drive them.
Some people just drive cars.
Some people just need to go shopping and to work in a car.

I'm just trying to understand what everyone is saying and thinking. It seems quite confusing, truly.

Also, why would anyone be afraid to honestly discuss what their own personal listening experience WRT to the matters under discussion here? I don't get it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The charging current flow from rectifiers through the supply caps back to the transformer secondary is not part of the signal path. Yet, it is very often a cause for less than optimal performance because of errors in ground paths and/or loops.
The first step should be to keep that loop totally outside of any signal-related return loops, and only interconnect it voltage wise to the signal loops at one point, like the star point.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
The charging current flow from rectifiers through the supply caps back to the transformer secondary is not part of the signal path. Yet, it is very often a cause for less than optimal performance because of errors in ground paths and/or loops.
The first step should be to keep that loop totally outside of any signal-related return loops, and only interconnect it voltage wise to the signal loops at one point, like the star point.

Jan Didden

The star-shaped ground routing for PSUs is probably the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.