John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grounding

On this topic, can we read people's experience of the use of a resistor between high current ground ( typically output stage currents correctly controlled to avoid large loops) and low signal ground ( mainly input stage decoupling). I mean impact on the quality of sound

What is the influence on sound quality of the use of a ground loop breaker ( 2 diodes in // + a resistor) to break ground loops created by safety requirements.

Did people use a clean ground which is an equipotential where no signal current is flowing and where all the shields and input filtering is connected. This clean ground is connected to the chassis and protective earth after the ground loop breaking circuit

I am interested to know if these techniques have a strong or weak influence on the sound quality.

JPV

The ground issue was previous brought up, and unfortunately misplaced into the wrong section on diyaudio. Electronics & Parts are not about ground theory as far as I can tell.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134500

Apparently the moderators did not see fit to move it to a more appropriate venue, like this Solid State sub-title. I wish they had, or would still... it has not flourishedfrom a lack of visibility sitting in the wrong place, imho.

The way to handle it if the "tube guys" want to see it is to put a pointer on a sticky in that section...imo. (at least long enough to attract enough of them over...)

Mr. Pass??

_-_-bear

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Re: Bear

bear said:
The ground issue was previous brought up, and unfortunately misplaced into the wrong section on diyaudio. Electronics & Parts are not about ground theory as far as I can tell.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134500

Apparently the moderators did not see fit to move it to a more appropriate venue, like this Solid State sub-title. I wish they had, or would still... it has not flourishedfrom a lack of visibility sitting in the wrong place, imho.

The way to handle it if the "tube guys" want to see it is to put a pointer on a sticky in that section...imo. (at least long enough to attract enough of them over...)

Mr. Pass??

_-_-bear

albin said:
Come back Jneutron, where are you, I miss you
Kind regards
Max

I agree it belongs in the solid state forum, but sadly John started his thread in another forum.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1681462#post1681462

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
It is difficult to know what people want. Sometimes they want confidential info, such as detailed schematics. Other times, they just want me to go away, so they can be happy in their existing belief pattern. I am still open to REAL questions about amp and preamp design that don't impinge on my making some sort of living.
For the record, I have a part time business partner who is almost incensed that I contribute here, because it makes me no money, and just wastes time that might be directed toward stabilizing my income stream. He makes a good point, but I often learn here from many who respond on this and other threads, especially through 'links' that I was previously unaware of.
That alone, makes it worthwhile for me.

John

Just be yourself, nothing more nothing less.
Nobody with a sense of understanding has asked you for a schematic or secrets.
Nobody wants you to go away.

Cheers
Stinius

Re: Re: asking questions

albin said:

Try it yourself,or you will never know

stinius said:

It’s in fact both the wire and how and where it’s connected that matters.

Both of you are correct.

Simply put, ground loops are formed when current is flowing in more than one path via the various ground return connections and wirings.

I don't know whether rules for avoiding ground loops can be written down.
Anyhow, it takes common sense, the ability to visualize currents flow and a lot of experience.

Also, as John Curl wrote in this thread – the ground return route is a part of signal route – including the bypass capacitors and all the rest.

stinius said:

John

Just be yourself, nothing more nothing less.

As far as I can tell (including personal phone conversations), John (John Curl) is and have been himself all along this thread from day 1 he posted here and all along this thread. (For which I highly respect him, first and foremost as a human being).

However, JC being himself didn't prevent others, including you, stinius, from attacking, mocking and ridiculing him.

So, stinius, please, do yourself and all of us here a favor – take a stand and stand firm on your stand.
Do you perceive JC as a human being?
Do you perceive JC as an accomplished electronics engineer and audio designer?
Do you respect JC?
– If yes, how does it manifest?
– If no, what are you after in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.