John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
bear said:
[snip]Also, why would anyone be afraid to honestly discuss what their own personal listening experience WRT to the matters under discussion here? I don't get it.

How about this. Some of us are of the opinion that casual, anecdotal, uncontrolled listening is just that, a personal experience, that is only valid for oneself, an experience that, because of the many perceptive factors involved, can be very different for someone else even with the same equipment and music. In that perspective, my or your listening experience is irrelevant for someone else, so why should it be discussed and analysed here, unless this is a thread about perception.
Does that make some sense?

Edit: corrected spelling

Jan Didden

Joshua_G said:

The star-shaped ground routing for PSUs is probably the best one.

It would be useful if you could add why you think this.

For the sake of clarity before the question is asked, that does NOT mean I am implying you are wrong or that I don't agree, just that the statement on its own reads like a personal opinion and I am sure you can back it up with why it is (probably) the best.

JPV said:

This is the origin of Ground Loop Coupling.
See Don White Consulting literature for an in depth analysis and design guide lines.

JPV

The technical term would be impedance coupling in this case, but through a shared ground line (due to its nonzero impedance).

The sonic impact, beside the most obvious hum, would depend on the load, as this coupling got more worse if the load current rises.

janneman said:

How about this. Some of us are of the opinion that casual, anecdotal, uncontrolled listening is just that, a personal experience, that is only valid for oneself, an experience that, because of the many perceptive factors involved, can be very different for someone else even with the same equipment and music. In that perspective, my or your listening experience is irrelevant for someone else, so why should it be discussed and analysed here, unless this is a thread about perception.
Does that make some sense?

Edit: corrected spelling

Jan Didden

Listening is a _subjective_ experience in any case, be it a casual or a controlled (less or more, mostly less :) ) one.
Even if a large population of data is sampled, it is not sure if the results are valid for every member (inside or outside the tested group), so at the end everybody has to do his own tests.

While a lot of members do obviously participate in this field just for intellectual/technical reasons, others are mainly interested in the impact of technology soundwise.
Hifi/audio is closely related to human perception, at least as long as it is an imperfect reflection of reality. :)

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
bear said:

Dear Glenn,

IF one does not hear any differences in various "properly engineered" and "low distortion" amplifiers that is an entirely different thing than if one does.

Many have claimed that there is no audible difference to be found or heard. Many. You may not have, I don't know. I was inquiring.

Scott apparently hears something going on now that he has these certain headphones.

If necessary please ignore the section that you quoted, and work with the rest of what was said? It's not critical - it's merely a crude condensation and approximation of a viewpoint that I see/hear oft stated in one form or another. Surely you can understan****blahblahblah***

I'm just trying to understand what everyone is saying and thinking. It seems quite confusing, truly.

Also, why would anyone be afraid to honestly discuss what their own personal listening experience WRT to the matters under discussion here? I don't get it.

ROFL

1) You evidently haven’t the slightest interest in understanding what other people are either saying or thinking and are far to wrapped up in pontificating your own point of view and subjectivist baloney, partly buttressed with the erection of straw man arguments to define what others allegedly say and think.

2) That freaking headphone issue was put to rest two pages ago but you can’t see the forrest for the trees. The reality is relatively mundane and nothing special, but the pollywaffle production continues unabated. :rolleyes:

3) As for my ignoring of your vague request for subjective equipment evaluations on my part, it has nothing to do with being “afraid”. Refer to (1)

Jakob2 said:

The technical term would be impedance coupling in this case, but through a shared ground line (due to its nonzero impedance).

The sonic impact, beside the most obvious hum, would depend on the load, as this coupling got more worse if the load current rises.

Ground loop coupling which is a form of common impedance coupling is a technical term used in the analysis of the classical case of two electronic boxes with their supply and communicating via a connection cable. This is the case of all audio systems.

There are a lot of different solutions depending on signal bandwith, existing EMI and so on. I am interested to understand the sonic impact of the rather conflicting solutions.
It seems that people are more interested in giving opinions on components. It is alway easier to say that this resistor sounds better.

JPV

PMA said:
Simplified view. Inductance matters.

Of course inductance matters and it should be minimized.
Star-shaped ground routing is only the topology, not the whole story.

alansawyer said:

It would be useful if you could add why you think this.

In star-shaped grounding routing, all ground traces, from all components, connects together in one point only. This minimizes the possibility of ground currents along few paths simultaneously, which is more likely to occur when all components are connected to a ground buss, at various points along the buss.

JPV said:

I am interested to understand the sonic impact of the rather conflicting solutions.

Once more, the techniques for eliminating ground loops, having lowest possible impedance for supply and ground paths and separating signal ground path from the supply ground path are the things that impact the sound for the better.

When all else is equal, good grounding will give good sound and vice versa.

As for music reproduction.
Listening to music is a subjective experience.
Music reproduction systems are aimed, or should be aimed, at serving this very subjective experience.
It is the experience of so many audiophiles all over the world that the generally used measurements in themselves are unable to tale how a system component may sound.

Consequences? Each to ones' own.

JPV said:

Ground loop coupling which is a form of common impedance coupling is a technical term used in the analysis of the classical case of two electronic boxes with their supply and communicating via a connection cable. This is the case of all audio systems.

<snip>

JPV

But in PMA´s example there is no need for two electronic boxes, as this effect can be produced inside a power amplifier itself.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JPV said:
[snip] I am interested to understand the sonic impact of the rather conflicting solutions.[snip]JPV

JPV,

I think it's almost impossible to map ground loop issues directly to audibility. As I see it, the best we can come up with is to map ground loop issues to hum, noise, distortion, stability, EMI susceptability etc. That in itself will be a tall order. Then, the next step would be to map the, say, increased noise or distortion to audibility, and I think that will be easier than the first step.

BTW Did you get my email on the TM5000?

Jan Didden

The 'ground noise voltage' I have shown is audible, and influences low level details, low volume listening. It affects localization, and bass perception. Subjectively it affects midrange spectrum mostly. Bass perception is usually more about midrange spectrum, rather than bass amplitude frequency response. The difference compared to proper grounding is audible, and explainable.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:
The 'ground noise voltage' I have shown is audible, and influences low level details, low volume listening. It affects localization, and bass perception. Subjectively it affects midrange spectrum mostly. Bass perception is usually more about midrange spectrum, rather than bass amplitude frequency response. The difference compared to proper grounding is audible, and explainable.

OK, clear, if that is what was meant by JPV. I thought he was looking for something like 'wide ground loops lead to blabla sound'. You have already done one step, you have actually measured and quantified a loop problem.

Jan Didden

PMA said:

Hi,
how minimize the ground noise voltage or what's the perfect schematic for the ground? Maxpou

Please review the image, and tell me where would you connect the load return - to SIGGND, or to PWRGND?

This simulation tries to describe real circuit issue, and simulation result quite fits to measurement.
500uF are on-board capacitors, amp is an 'ideal' for simplicity, but it is not important at the moment.

It is a high bias amp, more than 1A at idle, so the ripple is always high.

Attachments

• grounds.png
    grounds.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 643
PMA said:
Please review the image, and tell me where would you connect the load return - to SIGGND, or to PWRGND?

This simulation tries to describe real circuit issue, and simulation result quite fits to measurement.
500uF are on-board capacitors, amp is an 'ideal' for simplicity, but it is not important at the moment.

I can't see a reason to connect it to other than PWRGND, at the point of the red dot, along also with the caps that are shown connected to PWRGND. Do you have reason to connect to SIGGND ? Another alternative would be to use an additionaql channel amp to "amplify" ground and connect to load to the active ground thereby passing the current to the power rails. This seems to be a common approach in headphone amplifiers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:

As it is drawn, it seems OK. The signal at OUT exactly follows that at IN, measured against the 0V point if I read that correct. All the other stuff will have an impact on PSRR and such, but not on the signal directly.
The question is, can you connect the input source as drawn?

Jan Didden

Status
Not open for further replies.