APT 1 power amp – undeservedly forgotten

Not me. I got my apt-1 running again after replacing the front end devices and a few other parts. I reread the thread and don't remember doing some of the sims it has been so long. The only thing I've done system wise is switch to a soft-start circuit for my amps to stop the lights from dimming.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a soft spot too. Bought mine in 82 I think. I think if I were to redo it about all I would do is make it a bit taller. It is tight to work on. Almost like they decided the box size before they started squeezing stuff in. A mere 1/2 or even 1/4 inch would have made it much easier.

Why not just buy a used one and service/upgrade it? I've done just that to our three units. New output transistors, film caps, electrolytics, trimmers, bypass caps, and other odds and ends. Certainly less expensive than designing and building a clone, which would be difficult based on the lack of availability of many of the smaller transistor types.

This photo is while setting the impedance warning light, in preparation for conducting distortion/function testing.

GKTApt1-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user