RG59 Coaxial shielded cable for input wiring? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2005, 10:24 PM   #31
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going with the "zip cord", not POT64 of course .

-Chris
Old 4th December 2005, 10:32 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by audiotux
yes that was the stereoplay-version ,
2 RG214 - Cables the inner lead is + and the shield -
on both sides cross the - than you have a low R and
a low inductance - Cable !
There's still capacitance.
Unfortunately, very low inductance means high capacitance.
Old 4th December 2005, 10:38 PM   #33
diyAudio Moderator

If you take things back to basics, what you want to do is transfer power to the speaker without adding too much impedance.

Capacitance seems to be the most sensitive thing that may upset an amplifier, so stay with a reasonable gauge wire that is reasonably low in capacitance and inductance. In other words, exotic designs may not be your friend.

For RF pickup, I've had to use a series inductance with an RC in parallel (yup, a "snubber"). I had a CB'er who's transmissions would come through the speakers with the amp turned off. Running a bit over 5W I'd say. Didn't report him, just solved the problem.

-Chris
Old 4th December 2005, 10:39 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm going with the "zip cord", not POT64 of course .
That's the same thing, right?

OK, now I think I'm crazy, I re-tried my CAT5 cable without shorting the leads of my undescructible amp this time(It played correctly for 5 minutes with the cables shorted, after that, it was overheating. It still works!) and I have the impression it's better than the OFC or the plain ordinary 16AWG wire. I was A/B ing with one wire to one speaker and one to the other. Maybe that if I switch the cables, the 16AWG will magically sound better?
Old 4th December 2005, 10:59 PM   #35
diyAudio Moderator

Hi DragonMaster,
Keep doing that and you'll confuse yourself! Listening tests may or may not be effective. This is doubly true if you are doing it by yourself. When you get going in a group you could reach any conclusion.

The CAT 5 does not have enough copper, so you are running an equivalent smaller gauge cable to your speakers. I ran some tests earlier with a tube amp at higher power. The volume even dropped with CAT 5.

-Chris
Old 4th December 2005, 11:31 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well, it sounded louder in my case.

I swapped the wires and magic... The zip cord was better!
Old 4th December 2005, 11:43 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
The volume even dropped with CAT 5.
I've heard that effect clearly by changing Kimber 4TC for Supra Ply 3.4S.
The difference in gauge is (or should be) insignificant, so I think the problem is not only there.
Btw with that amp (a Rega Mira) the Supra even took all the treble and detail away, bass started to boom.
The volume was noticeably lower (same setting on the amp), confirmed by all the people present in the room.
For me, it was the highly capacitive Supra (but very low inductance) making the amp unstable.
Cat 5 is very capacitive, and it may be a trap for some amps, but it sometimes works very well, depending on the construction you make with it, and the gauge is whatever you want.

I have experienced too many times too: exotic cables may not be your friend, and a top of the range $$$$ Wirewold cable can be easily bettered by a cheap (~4€/m) figure-of-eight cable.
Not by hazard, the problems are always with highly capacitive cables.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:29 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You know,

some 20 years ago the whole cable shabang started.
Every month i read another enlightning techno story about interconnect and loudspeaker cables.
From skin effect to oxygen free copper, symmetrical versus non-symmetrical, stranded versus solid wires, solid to hollow cables, and homogenous to multimaterial strands, untill my head spinned.
Several times a year the new ultimate cable was released, prices per feet skyrocketing like the Nasdac.

People started twisting their own fabrications, even i was such a trendhopping git that i put pieces of cork around enamalled wire and shoved them in hollow PCV tubes because of the revalating sound benefits.

In those years the German Stereoplay magazine started their own cable tests including a comparison with industrial off the rail cable.
I went to visit a DIY audio shop in Essen, Germany, in 1987 to have a chance of listening to the stuff i had been reading about in the magazines. Each and everyone of the audio stores in Germany had the Tiden Bara Gar test track the Stereoplay magazine used, song by Therese Juel, Opus 3.

In Düsseldorf, also Germany, i managed to buy 80 feet of RG214.
Brought it home, took me 3 months to get the right kind of connectors that fit the wires, soldered them on the dual cables, and put woven sleeves around each pair.

Looked like a fancy cable, felt like one, and cost me $125 for a 20 feet set. Which was like 1/4th of my total monthly student allowance then.
In some 20 months from now i will have been using that same set of cables for 20 years, that is a little over $6 write-off for each year.
I've never occupied myself with cable stuff again, talking about coaxials now merely for sentimental reasons.
The ones occupying themselves over and over again with cable issues must have a masochist urge, imo.

Nevertheless, as the Double Dutch guy i am, the price for RG214 at the cable store Audiotux posted is so cheap, i am convinced i need a new set of bi-cabled RG214 shortly.

Jürgen, fielen dank für den link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rg214.jpg (86.3 KB, 335 views)
Old 5th December 2005, 12:26 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hi jacco ,
your german is very good , nice to hear that you are
so happy with RG 214 !
i used it as interconnect and speaker-cable in my car !
the car mechanics thought i was grazy !

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen
Old 5th December 2005, 12:54 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by audiotux
the car mechanics thought i was crazy !
Jürgen,

habe gerade geschaut das wir ungefähr den gleichen alter haben, also wahrscheinlich beide die Deutschen audio hochzeiten miterlebt haben.
Heutzutage nennt man die RG214 altmodisch, meiner meinung nach ist die noch immer ein superkabel.
Dagegen spricht das ich 10 jahre aus dem audio gewirbel war, bin erst seit einige jahren aus dem gefängnis.

Ein gruß zurück von den nachbarn.
Jacco.

Hide this!Advertise here!