200W Class A amp with high efficency

How to design 200W Class A power amp with very high efficiency, that was my interest last few months. Some kind of combination of Class A and Class D or T, but what is simple way to do that.
There are different ways to do that, I don’t have all information what’s going on in commercial audio, but I haven’t seen the way I will present here. Normal Class A amp has very low efficiency of around 30%, but with this approach presented here it could be much better with similar sound benefits.

The power amp I will use is modified 100W CFA and 200/400W Class D amp. This CFA is quite similar to my Class AB amp but the output MOSFETS are biased to Class A and power supply is only +-6V with middle point not connected to the ground but to the Class D amp output. Both amps should have the same gain.
I ordered two Class D amps in kit from China and now waiting to arrive, and then I will check if this concept is viable. Simulation shows very good results regarding both, distortion and efficiency.
The Class A amp needs two separate power supply one high voltage for the input blocks and one low voltage for the output transistors.
Attached the schematic as simulated, FFT plot of the Class A amp and to compare with some distorted FFT of simulated Class D amp and the SRPP plot of the output low voltage power MOSFETs. It’s quite easy to find a Class D amp with similar or lower distortion than the one I used in simulation(not real, I used ideal voltage source with distorted input).
Damir

Attachments

• amplifier efficiency.gif
    amplifier efficiency.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 3,846
  • 200W CFA Class A_sch.jpg
    200W CFA Class A_sch.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 4,079
  • 200W CFA Class A-FFT20k_200W_8.jpg
    200W CFA Class A-FFT20k_200W_8.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 3,866
  • 200W CFA Class A-200W_8.jpg
    200W CFA Class A-200W_8.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 3,402
  • 200W CFA Class A-OPS-PSRR.jpg
    200W CFA Class A-OPS-PSRR.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 3,341
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dear Damir,

nice idea - for example see "Devialet Expert Pro" Analog-Digital-Hybrid and similar. I have had the chance to listen to such an (expensive) amplifier.

Unfortunately it may not be as easy as your simulation example. Have you thought about e.g. class D phase shift at higher frequencies?

BR, Toni

Dear Damir,

nice idea - for example see "Devialet Expert Pro" Analog-Digital-Hybrid and similar. I have had the chance to listen to such an (expensive) amplifier.

Unfortunately it may not be as easy as your simulation example. Have you thought about e.g. class D phase shift at higher frequencies?

BR, Toni

Dear Toni,
I don't know enough about Class D amps, just in what I read about it, no practical experience, but that is way I am going to test it in real life.
I've heard about Devialet, not much how thy did it, and there no to much information just commercial bla bla, and I think thy exaggerate power wise.
How did you like the sound?
BR Damir

The sound of Devialet leaves me completely uninterested in the music it plays.

My guess is the class D rf pollution over weighs any sonic benefits of the class A. But then, that is my principal grumble against class D in general. In the case of Devialet this is further exacerbated by the switched mode ps... Still, a lovely solution for the iPhone generation :)

My guess is the class D rf pollution over weighs any sonic benefits of the class A. But then, that is my principal grumble against class D in general. In the case of Devialet this is further exacerbated by the switched mode ps... Still, a lovely solution for the iPhone generation :)

I hope that the PSRR of the output transistor pairs will reject most of Class D RF pollution coming via low voltage power supply(as simulation shows).
I intend to use linear power supply for Class A (high and low voltage) and SMTP only for Class D and keep in that way the sound of linear Class A amp.

Joined 2011
Paid Member

You haven't seen specs.
You never heard that "beast".
There is no RF pollution on outputs.
There is nothing wrong with switch mode power supplies if done right (e.g. Hypex). I have used a 1200W SMPS in my 4 channel mosfet amplifier with great success.

IMHO: modern high end Class D amplifiers (Hypex; diyaudio member ChocoHolic has developed the "LiteAmp" - a very good IRS2092 based design)
don't need Class A hybrid. They are good enough standalone for audiophile listeners. But would be interesting if one could build it as DIY project

Have fun,

Toni

Last edited:

I totally agree of what was said here.

Not sure why one believes Class A + Class D is a good combo. What is wrong with Class A + Class B combo ? Class A + Class B has been proven to work and perform fantastic. As stated here, the Class D very likely introduces issues that totally spoil any good the Class A provides. Phase issue is just one but noise, poor THD and transient response is another. In my opinion High Power Class D is ok in Servo Subs but that's it. True fidelity will never be achieved with a Class D to the same level a decent Class AB offers.

But again just my 2 cent of opinion.

I totally agree of what was said here.

Not sure why one believes Class A + Class D is a good combo. What is wrong with Class A + Class B combo ? Class A + Class B has been proven to work and perform fantastic. As stated here, the Class D very likely introduces issues that totally spoil any good the Class A provides. Phase issue is just one but noise, poor THD and transient response is another. In my opinion High Power Class D is ok in Servo Subs but that's it. True fidelity will never be achieved with a Class D to the same level a decent Class AB offers.

But again just my 2 cent of opinion.

Then look up Hypex class D amplifiers. Better performance than class AB.