Has any one built this 1KW amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

It am sure you know what you meant, but I saw a risk your
phrasing could be misinterpreted as saying that it really isn't
dangerous, but just a forum rule. I wanted to clarify so nobody
gets the wrong impression here. It wasn't meant to pick on you,
and I forgot to point that out. Sorry. I just wanted to try
explaining why it is dangerous.

Matttcattt said:
sorry to cause all the fuss. i understand the dangers of mains. i did not know that this was a forum rule, i will re-read the rules now. :dead:

would it work with +/-115vDC using an isolation transformer (1:1 windings) from the mains? :angel:

5000W with +/-115v is about 20A isnt it? :hot:

did you know, that first off that transformer would still be huge... second when rectifying AC to DC you times the voltage by 1.41 giving you +-163 volts, and thirdly, you need a centre tap...

hey drafence u seems to me as INDIAN.
I know PUNJABI MC very well!
NI tu hunne hunne hoi muteyaar mundiyan ton bachke rahi
aiwe kari na kise de naal piyar mundiyaan ton bachke rahi

HEY dudes this above written was punjabi language song!

Happy amping!:smash:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Matttcattt said:
using 2 seperate mains feeds, you could get +/-324vDC. this would be okay with 400v output devices,

with +/- 324v DC, you are talking about potential voltage drops on the output devices of 324vx2=650v before any safety factors.

Realistically, you are probably talking about 1000v Vce/Vds devices. they are probably difficult to find and you may have to parallel a lot of them to drive 8ohm speakers, :)

1000W RMS Power Amp

As someone who builds 1000W amps every day, I have had spectacular resilts with the ICEPower modules from B&). The 1000A costa us less than US$100.00 a unit.

As well, the 1000ASP is available to us for under US$200.00 and it includes a regulated switching 120/240V Power supply. Plus, the 1000ASP power supply has enough power capacity, it can drive a 1000A module, giving you 2000W of sub woofer power.

Alternately, it can drive 2 of the 500A modules to give you plenty of mid and high on a tri-amp system.

The prices are 100+ OEM prices. You will have to lookaround to see who may sell them. See:

http://www.powerhouse.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp

Matttcattt said:
in practice (i was about to say "in theory"), what is the highest voltage rails you could have (DC)?

230vAC x 1.41 = 324.3vDC

using 2 seperate mains feeds, you could get +/-324vDC. this would be okay with 400v output devices, but could you get other components to work at this voltage?

maybe i will re-write my question. what would be the highest rail voltage (DC) that you would use?

Re: Burn up?

richie00boy said:
Hi amp_man_1

I like your schematic, but I notice that the bias voltage is set only using a pot, hence there can be no thermal tracking. Isn't this unwise with such a high power design and BJTs?

Sir , The thermal Tracking is very well performed by diode connected transistors which are mounted on heatsink.

If u insist , I can also put a Vbe multiplier using transistor.

Regards
Ampman

Commentable Thoughts

richie00boy said:
Thank you amp_man. I would have thought that a Vbe muliplier would be a better way to do it than the 2 diode-connected transistors + pot?

Also, why is Q3 and Q4 on the o/p stage made from paralleled devices? A single device would easily handle current required, I would think.

Hey man
The parallel drivers play their role when someone is driving 2 Ohms load at low frequency , therefore for ample current drive requirements the paralleling is required.

Regards
Ampman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.