Has any one built this 1KW amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1:1 isolation transformers turn up on the surplus market a lot-big ones, and cheap. So an amp with 120v or 220 volt supplied to the rectifiers might be very versitile for us DIY folk.

Also step up and step down transformers are around a lot too, at good prices. BUT some of these are autoformers I've heard- It seems like these won't isolate?

Ampman- do you wear a cape like a super hero?

Commentable Thoughts

wonder_b said:
amp man I want to build your 1600w amp but change it to 600w 8ohm 1200w 4ohm around 115v rails will it do it and what will i need to change .
I will have pcb layouts soon if anyone wants them
Simply , Build That monster and Enjoy The Professional thunderbolt .Nothing to change.BUT DONT FORGET TO USE ATLEAST 8 PARALLEL OUTPUT DEVICES FOR EACH RAIL.
Compliments
AMPMAN

hi!!

Anyone knows this esquematic of PSS audio, or build it??
Maybe help on this tread...

On this the 9-D. the series 9 uses 2 fonts. The series 8 use one font.

http://pssaudio.com/english/1technic.htm#ampli09

9-D esquematic uses 10 units of the MJ21196; the series 8-D1 uses 12 units of MJ15024, so i ask:

Can I install 12 units of the MJ21196 on the 9-D without any change on the esquematic to get some more watts??

I apeciate any comments...

Thanks in advance!!!

TiLuis ;)

Ampman,
I have a 5000w amplifier - Phonic XP5100 - but it blows out one of the channels because I connect its bridged output to an inductive load, a transformer with 4 ohm primary and 4000 ohm secondary for modulate an AM transmitter.
Could you advice me a protection system against EMI-RFI and any other trancient that could be appear in the AF amp outputs?????
Thanks

Looks like the Altec 9440 output stage (post #5).

Altec2.gif

The MJ21196 has 50% more SOA than the ML15024.

Last edited:
It really does boggle my mind the people here who want to DIY an amp with such crazy amounts of power - especially class AB. I cant help feel a lot of it is trying to "do it on the cheap", hence the crazy suggestions of powering straight from line voltage.

Class G is a must here, but even then by modern standards that is crazy. I doubt you could safely and reliably build such a high power amp, for less money than you could get a purpose build Class D based PA amp to do the job.

djk, a sub amp on 95v supplies is about the limit of what i'd say is reasonable to DIY.

"djk, a sub amp on 95v supplies is about the limit of what i'd say is reasonable to DIY. "

Pretty much, unless you go class G or H.

"tell no of transistor circled in red"

I would use three MJE15033/34 for drivers (as per the Altec diagram) and use at least 8 pair of MJ15024 for outputs on the ±94V listed, or use one pair of the MJ15024/25 for the drivers.

Last edited:
Distorted sound at low volumes...

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Here is a Schematic for u
Amp was made by myself, with 1k at the input sound distorted and unclear at low volumes, here are the psu specs:125VAC Pri, 66-0-66VAC Sec, 1.5kva toroidal transformer from Plitron, 6-10,000mfd 125vdc Cornell Dubilier, i'm getting +-106vdc with no load, no input signal, Output BJT's are MJ21194, 12 per rail, drivers are MJE15034-35 HV rated as you know, and the rest of BJT' are MJE340-350, half of the outputs have been placed on a BIG heatsink, same for the other half(12 in one heatsink and the other 12 on other exactly same sized both of them) so heat is no a big deal here, a stated before, at low volumes sounds unclear and distorted, but when pushed sounds very well indeed, has large amounts of power, but i'm a little concerned about such distorted sound when it's running low,
what should i check? Thanks in advance, Paul...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.