Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Something like this ? Slewbaby with CFA-X BV Mod
For inline mounting, honey badger. OS prefer 2 line, something about shortest possible path

Attachments

• Slewbaby CFA-x.png
    Slewbaby CFA-x.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Currentflow,
That solution is exactly what I have been looking to do. I will be mounting the output devices perpendicular to the board surface and using an L shaped aluminum extrusion to attach the outputs to a rather narrow vertical finned heat sink. I only have a bit less than 4 1/2" max width on the heat sink and it must be even narrower than that as the edges of the heat sink create a seal to a self powered speaker.

Currentflow,
I would think that would require some serious changes in the topology of the amp and output section. I think the original design by OS was supposed to be as symmetrical as possible and I don't know that you could get the same results moving all the devices to a single row?

I agree it would lose its symmetry, but with some careful thought, bearing in mind that the peak currents would be somewhat lower with the baby version, I would imagine it should be achievable :) A traditional layout with L & R heatsinks of a lower height is really what I am looking for.

Something like this ? Slewbaby with CFA-X BV Mod
For inline mounting, honey badger. OS prefer 2 line, something about shortest possible path

It may help may not, I did very similar setup on PCB (but different amp) and it is working really good. Small board can be mounted easly on the heatsing. pic bellow

Attachments

• bg9top.png
    bg9top.png
    422.2 KB · Views: 540
For Terry

Terry,

Have had a go at "improving" the circuit you posted earlier. There is a small change to the OPS but this can be removed if desired.

THD has improved significantly but slew rate is very low.

There is probably much room for tweaking but I like to get a circuit working with less than optimal perfromance. Then once its working in reality the performance can be pushed to the max. The simmed ULGF around 1MHz but I suspect you could push this up higher.

Clipping is ugly. But since there aren't any measures to deal with this it is not really a surprise.

C41, C42 are just place holders.

Stability 1 is the loop around OPS. Stability 2 is the main loop.

Let me know what you think...

Paul

P.S. I'm pretty certain this is less than optimal and other more experienced designers could improve it significantly. (I'm just a beginner ;))

Attachments

• AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 sq wv.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 sq wv.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 130
  • AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 stability2.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 stability2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 280
  • AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 stability1.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 stability1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 405
  • AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 clg.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 clg.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 463
  • AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 sch.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1 sch.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 499
  • AX-14 Slewmaster mcd1.asc
    22 KB · Views: 66
Hmmmm, slew rate is slow and clipping is ugly. Doesn't sound like it belongs in this thread. Maybe not worth the trouble. I have a board stuffed but it in not working so I'm troube shooting that. I chew over and see. It can always just become another AX-14 if I can't get it working with the slewmaster.

I tried running it in LTspice. I don't now how to deal with the pulse thing. I hooked the sine wave back up so I could see. I have 3V at the input and it still isn't clipping so the gain must be lower now.

Thanks for all your work.

Blessings, Terry

Well you know me, I just can't stop myself. :D

I got the issues worked out with the AX-14 frontend and hooked it up to my Baby Slewmaster OPS. No problems at all so far. Not a hint of oscillation. 6mv offset and this IPS doesn't have offset adjustment. The bias adjust perfectly. Pretty tickled. I have only played it through my test speakers so far but sounds lovely through those. After I made sure it plays music I hooked it up to the scope and sine wave generator and did some tests. Running at +-46V rails it clips at 25vac into an 8 ohm dummy load. Clipping looks really good at 1K. Symetrical and nice and flat on the top and bottom. Square waves show a hint of over shoot at 20K but up to there, very sharp. Gets a little rounded at 100K but I can't hear that high. I'm a little stoked that it seems to work so well. It is just built per the schematic I shared above. I did change the 2n5401 to KSA992A because I was out of them and changed the BC547/557 to BC456C/4556C for the same reason.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• 100Khz square wave.jpg
    100Khz square wave.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 50Khz square wave.jpg
    50Khz square wave.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20 Khz square wave.jpg
    20 Khz square wave.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 10Khz Square wave.jpg
    10Khz Square wave.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 1Khz Square wave.jpg
    1Khz Square wave.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 132
  • clipping.jpg
    clipping.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 150
Well you know me, I just can't stop myself. :D

I got the issues worked out with the AX-14 frontend and hooked it up to my Baby Slewmaster OPS. No problems at all so far. Not a hint of oscillation. 6mv offset and this IPS doesn't have offset adjustment. The bias adjust perfectly. Pretty tickled. I have only played it through my test speakers so far but sounds lovely through those. After I made sure it plays music I hooked it up to the scope and sine wave generator and did some tests. Running at +-46V rails it clips at 25vac into an 8 ohm dummy load. Clipping looks really good at 1K. Symetrical and nice and flat on the top and bottom. Square waves show a hint of over shoot at 20K but up to there, very sharp. Gets a little rounded at 100K but I can't hear that high. I'm a little stoked that it seems to work so well. It is just built per the schematic I shared above. I did change the 2n5401 to KSA992A because I was out of them and changed the BC547/557 to BC456C/4556C for the same reason.

Blessings, Terry

Terry, this is very cool. Clipping with no sign of saturation or other artifacts, clean square response... Congratulations and greetings to Mile Slavcovic ;)
Another great VFA front-end option :up:

Cheers,
Valery

Nice work Terry, Since i was young I always liked Yamaha amplifiers, I was never wealthy enough to afford really expensive amplifiers. So when I first came across the APEX AX14 I just had to build one. I gave it with a set of speakers to my niece,

Regards

Hi Vostro,

Yes, the AX-14 sounds very nice. I have built three versions counting this one. Simple and common parts. Great for DIY.

So what's next? Anyone have a new IPS to try? How about that PSU circuit Valery? I'll be finishing up a TMG8 when the rest of my parts get here and then I'm going to need something to work on. :D

Protection

Hi Vostro,

Yes, the AX-14 sounds very nice. I have built three versions counting this one. Simple and common parts. Great for DIY.

So what's next? Anyone have a new IPS to try? How about that PSU circuit Valery? I'll be finishing up a TMG8 when the rest of my parts get here and then I'm going to need something to work on. :D

Hi Terry,

Here is the schematic, illustration of PCB layout and PCB photo of the latest version of protection module. If you like it, I can share gerbers. I will also give more details on standby transformer and relays used in the circuit, share the firmware and show how you can adjust the delays.

All indication is performed with a single LED - rather elegant, I think.

I am also working on the new hybrid front end - will give more info soon. It's got all the voltage gain performed purely by the tubes (2 x 12AU7) and rather light NFB - preserving the "tubish sound" - hopefully :p

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• @Protection-sch-2.0.jpg
    @Protection-sch-2.0.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 02 Protection-pcb-2.0.jpg
    02 Protection-pcb-2.0.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC03341.JPG
    DSC03341.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 440