Building FETZILLA - Questions and Answers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Meanman1964 had stated that he is using an SMPS for his latest FetZilla. Looks very interesting. Unfortunately, it appears that the +-38V SMPS only come in a 230V version. If anyone know of one in 115V please post a link. I am interested in trying this myself.

Blessing, Terry

Hello

Could this amp drive Ushers CP 6371 (4 ohm 90 db, double 7inch woofers + tweeter) ?
Unfortunatelly i do not have any measurements for their behavior over the spectrum.

I'd apprecciate your advice and i apologize in advance if this not an appropriate thread for this question.

Thanks in advance

Hello

Could this amp drive Ushers CP 6371 (4 ohm 90 db, double 7inch woofers + tweeter) ?
Unfortunatelly i do not have any measurements for their behavior over the spectrum.

I'd apprecciate your advice and i apologize in advance if this not an appropriate thread for this question.

Thanks in advance
Of course Fetzilla can drive 4 Ohm speakers.
It is just a question of volume. One might be careful at very high volume output.

I bought mine at Audiophonics - Câbles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY
Have to check but I thought there is a way to use 110Volt mains by removing a jumper

In another thread it was asked what exactly you did to connect the SMPS to your Fetzilla, and you mentioned that you left out the smoothing caps, but i couldn't find much else. I assume you used a single SMPS300RE to power a stereo pair of Fetzillas?

Was that the only modification you did? Did you leave the resistor network in place? Since i also plan on using the SMPS300RE to power my Fetzilla i'd be interested to know exactly how you've interfaced the SMPS to the Fetzilla.

Last edited:
This is the reply I got from eastern_audio from ebay. Those of you who live in USA may want to consider this.

hi, we have the +- 36V version in stock in our Oregon USA warehouse, price is 62.99. We can list this and send you a link.
Or you can buy this item, wait with payment, and we can update the price and change shipping price to 9usd (USPS first class) and send it from Oregon.
Let us know if you'd like this, and send us a note after you have "buy it now".

In another thread it was asked what exactly you did to connect the SMPS to your Fetzilla, and you mentioned that you left out the smoothing caps, but i couldn't find much else. I assume you used a single SMPS300RE to power a stereo pair of Fetzillas?

Was that the only modification you did? Did you leave the resistor network in place? Since i also plan on using the SMPS300RE to power my Fetzilla i'd be interested to know exactly how you've interfaced the SMPS to the Fetzilla.

Yes I used a single SMPS for two fetZillas and I'm planning to do a test with a SMPS for each channel.Resistor network to you mean the ones underneath the board?Those are gone when you cut the boards

I haven't used an SMPS yet but Lasy Cat swears by them. Unless they get noisy under a high current draw I can't see how they wouldn't be ideal. The voltage doesn't sag like a normal transformer does. I like the idea of being able to shorten the boards and the SMPS costs less than two transformers. Add in the cost of the filter caps and it seems like a bargain. I guess the biggest test will be does it affect the sound.

Another thing I wanted to know is if many of you have used the Renesas 2SJ162/2SK1058 output? If so, did you notice any difference between those and the Exicon units?

Thanks, Terry

Yes I used a single SMPS for two fetZillas and I'm planning to do a test with a SMPS for each channel.Resistor network to you mean the ones underneath the board?Those are gone when you cut the boards

Thanks for this information!

Another question, what is the switch-on / switch-off behaviour of your SMPS-powered fetzilla compared to linear PSU? I read somewhere that there is a soft thump on power on/off using a linear PSU, is it the same with the SMPS? This is assuming you do not have a relay circuit to hide this.

Thanks,
yac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.