hifi tuning fuse -amp overheating ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
No, It makes no sense, period!
The only difference between the 2 fuses you compare in your post are the words "hi fi tuning". I would be deeply grateful if someone would point out the functional or performance difference between a "hi fi tuning" fuse and a regular slow-blow fuse of similar specification, if it is not just gold plating, branding or price.

Unless:
You are playing the amplifier at higher power output than before.
The temperature in your listening room is higher.
The power is very high and approaching the failure limit of the fuse
You didn't really test anything properly before you changed the fuse.
This is a recent purchase and you are unfamiliar this type of equipment.

Buy a cheap contact thermometer to compare temperatures, since you can afford hi-fi equipment.
Unfortunately,"I feel..." tells us nothing that can be responded positively to.

Last edited:
No, It makes no sense, period!
The only difference between the 2 fuses you compare in your post are the words "hi fi tuning". I would be deeply grateful if someone would point out the functional or performance difference between a "hi fi tuning" fuse and a regular slow-blow fuse of similar specification, if it is not just gold plating, branding or price.

Unless:
You are playing the amplifier at higher power output than before.
The temperature in your listening room is higher.
The power is very high and approaching the failure limit of the fuse
You didn't really test anything properly before you changed the fuse.
This is a recent purchase and you are unfamiliar this type of equipment.

Buy a cheap contact thermometer to compare temperatures, since you can afford hi-fi equipment.
Unfortunately,"I feel..." tells us nothing that can be responded positively to.

I have the amp years
I hear music all day amp never the heat
After that I changed the fuse to the amplifier HIFI TUNING started to warm up more.
Yesterday I made another attempt
by change the polarity of the fuse
And warming stopped
The strange thing is that according to what they claim to do the fuse like a diode

Need to install it
Direction of the input power
i Even measured wite continuum meter whan i installed the fuse
Now fuse installed in the opposite way;

The test was done before the change and after the change in polarity
Amp is not heating up now
Strange

Joined 2010
Paid Member
dazz, a fuse is just a short piece of wire. It is an incredibly basic device that has no affect on the amplifier until the current passing through it exceeds the maximum power permitted in the device it is fitted to. Then the wire, which must be a specific small diameter to melt at the rated current, melts and breaks the power to amplifier. That's all.

The slow-blow feature is to do with preventing nuisance brief currents destroying the fuse unnecessarily

You described a single fuse that seems faulty in use and if it requires to be fitted polarized, that should be very clearly indicated in the instructions. However, let me guess you have just 1 device fitted in the mains supply which is AC and so the mains power flowing in it is constantly changing polarity. That means that changing the fuse polarity cannot make any difference because the exact same current flows in both directions. Is this the case?
Otherwise, you would refer to 2 or more fuses, one in each DC voltage supply to both power amplifiers. Are you aware of the fuse's intended application and are you using it correctly for either the AC power line or the DC to the amplifiers, as instructions?

It is your choice to buy High-end toys and crazy gadgets if you believe the BS slung by the "reviewers" about them. Most here are skeptics because most such products soon disappear when buyers realise they don't do anything useful. Some people just get a buzz out of trying stuff and get a buzz out of reading really clever BS.

If you really have an problem with your amplifier as you describe, return the thing(s) for a refund and lodge your complaint. It's clearly a bad idea as well as a BS one.

dazz, a fuse is just a short piece of wire. It is an incredibly basic device that has no affect on the amplifier until the current passing through it exceeds the maximum power permitted in the device it is fitted to. Then the wire, which must be a specific small diameter to melt at the rated current, melts and breaks the power to amplifier. That's all.

The slow-blow feature is to do with preventing nuisance brief currents destroying the fuse unnecessarily

You described a single fuse that seems faulty in use and if it requires to be fitted polarized, that should be very clearly indicated in the instructions. However, let me guess you have just 1 device fitted in the mains supply which is AC and so the mains power flowing in it is constantly changing polarity. That means that changing the fuse polarity cannot make any difference because the exact same current flows in both directions. Is this the case?
Otherwise, you would refer to 2 or more fuses, one in each DC voltage supply to both power amplifiers. Are you aware of the fuse's intended application and are you using it correctly for either the AC power line or the DC to the amplifiers, as instructions?

It is your choice to buy High-end toys and crazy gadgets if you believe the BS slung by the "reviewers" about them. Most here are skeptics because most such products soon disappear when buyers realise they don't do anything useful. Some people just get a buzz out of trying stuff and get a buzz out of reading really clever BS.

If you really have an problem with your amplifier as you describe, return the thing(s) for a refund and lodge your complaint. It's clearly a bad idea as well as a BS one.
The thing what you said I already know
But that does not change the fact that I changed the polarity warming has stopped
I did this last attempt before returning the original fuse
But I changed polarity amplifier overheating stopped
Even to me it seems logical but is not heating up

(In this picture before replacing the fuse direction)

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 370
Hahahahahahahahaha - What a laugh.

If the fuse is in any way acting like a diode it should be chucked.

In the mains circuit, diodes are used in the likes of cheap consumer goods to reduce the speed of motors, they generate an enormous amount of noise in the process.

Last edited:
All this BS in the "hifi" world just winds me up.

The day I read a hifi magazine where they rambled on about a stand that produced an open sound stage was the day I vowed never to read such stuff ever again. This was way before my DIY days as well.

Edit: The link I posted above was for humour purposes. Quantum tunnelling.... I think I'll have to get some stratajobes.

Oh, you'd love the July 2013 Hi-Fi World (UK) where a speaker cable under test was described thus, "...the Element cable always seemed to be 'on watch' for unruly and errant frequencies, like a sonic version of a sheepdog."

I almost threw up.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.