VSSA 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2013, 06:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Idefixes
Default VSSA 50

Last week i put together LC VSSA module with +/-36Vdc rail as i had 300va 2x25vac stock trafo. As i wrote it in vendor bazar thread, this module as some magic in how and reproduce sound with natural, detail, live sound. The "issue" (it's a really one??)for me is the samll amout of power comparating to the speaker that i use. Power volume button is turn on 2/3 to 3/4 from total possibility without having a really lound level. So the idea for me is to use 2 another stock trafo : Rcore 500Va 2x36vac (2x120 pri), that give my +/-50Vdc on rail in VSSA 104 public schematic.

As answer Lc that need small changes :
-First swap entry bjt to higher Vceo one : BC546/556 but is there an issue to use B grad instead C that are obsolet
-second change ALF08NP16 to ALF16N16 and ALF16P16 combo
-change R7, R8 to 10K : ihave difficultie to identify them as there's no numerotation on 1.4 schematic
-handel to ouput bias i suppose i have to swap from 182mA (2 die) to 364mA (4 die)

So that are questions turning in my head...in answer waiting time i take eagle rout as i've been more aware with it than with parts and schematic adaptation.

Under first attemp to layout
Attached Images
File Type: png VSSA_50_V1_sch.png (21.3 KB, 1426 views)
File Type: png VSSA_50_V1_brd2.png (30.4 KB, 1381 views)
File Type: png VSSA_50_V1_brd.png (43.0 KB, 1328 views)

Last edited by Idefixes; 24th July 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 24th July 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can i change ALF with SK1058/sj162 ?

Didiet
Old 24th July 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post

Didiet
They have not the same package and not same rating : To264 versus To3P and 16 versus 8A. ALF16 are double die in same package. One pair 1058/162 won't be enough for +/-50Vvdc rail voltage. Bur one ALF running i don't sink there is issue to modify layout icluding 2 pair 1058/162 and will do it if there is some interest
Old 24th July 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post

Didiet
Hi kang Didiet,
use 2 pairs K1058/J162 but for lower voltage you can use it.
I made 2 pairs output version layout but not tested yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
They have not the same package and not same rating : To264 versus To3P and 16 versus 8A. ALF16 are double die in same package. One pair 1058/162 won't be enough for +/-50Vvdc rail voltage. Bur one ALF running i don't sink there is issue to modify layout icluding 2 pair 1058/162 and will do it if there is some interest
Hi Idefixes,
thanks for pointing out the difference SK/SJ & ALF16...
(may I post for 2 pairs output with K1058/J162, I need some comment)
I must give it a try too with higher voltage...
I have only K1058/J162 combo, for +/-45VDC we can still use BC550-560
for +/-50VDC why not try 2SC/SA combo...
LC answer me twice(at SSA & VSSA) about the hFE of input pair,
suggested value of 600+ hFE to get better gain per stage performance

Last edited by JOHN BALI; 24th July 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN BALI View Post
thanks for pointing out the difference SK/SJ & ALF16...
(may I post for 2 pairs output with K1058/J162, I need some comment)
Hi john,

For Add on, Exicon seem to have a similar device to ALF16 it is ECW20N20-Z and ECW20P20-Z you can find by profusion plc.

Marc
Old 24th July 2013, 02:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Last week i put together LC VSSA module with +/-36Vdc rail as i had 300va 2x25vac stock trafo. As i wrote it in vendor bazar thread, this module as some magic in how and reproduce sound with natural, detail, live sound. The "issue" (it's a really one??)for me is the samll amout of power comparating to the speaker that i use. Power volume button is turn on 2/3 to 3/4 from total possibility without having a really lound level. So the idea for me is to use 2 another stock trafo : Rcore 500Va 2x36vac (2x120 pri), that give my +/-50Vdc on rail in VSSA 104 public schematic.

As answer Lc that need small changes :
-First swap entry bjt to higher Vceo one : BC546/556 but is there an issue to use B grad instead C that are obsolet
-second change ALF08NP16 to ALF16N16 and ALF16P16 combo
-change R7, R8 to 10K : ihave difficultie to identify them as there's no numerotation on 1.4 schematic
-handel to ouput bias i suppose i have to swap from 182mA (2 die) to 364mA (4 die)

So that are questions turning in my head...in answer waiting time i take eagle rout as i've been more aware with it than with parts and schematic adaptation.

Under first attemp to layout
I want to follow these thread closely since I have some high power (dual die) LatFET from EXICON and Class D to.
Hopping one day I can put them in good use.
After you test the amp I hope you can share the layout with us..
Thank you for the feedback on the Zenquito amplifier on the VSSA thread (I do have 4PC stuffed PC board to also a pair Grand MOS clone)...
Tough I did never tested (powered up) those, I have a feeling to me VSSA the way to go..
Greetings G
Old 24th July 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborbela View Post
I want to follow these thread closely since I have some high power (dual die) LatFET from EXICON and Class D to.
Hopping one day I can put them in good use.
After you test the amp I hope you can share the layout with us..
Thank you for the feedback on the Zenquito amplifier on the VSSA thread (I do have 4PC stuffed PC board to also a pair Grand MOS clone)...
Tough I did never tested (powered up) those, I have a feeling to me VSSA the way to go..
Greetings G
Hi,

For sure i will share if there is an interest to. But first i need help to achieve mutation from VSSA 1.4 to VSSA 50. Without there will be no VSSA 50 alive.
One more time LC VSSA puppies are mouvelous pieces of amp....that's what Melody Gardot said me today after lunch time : in one of her first album there is some passages with children taken in the background...that was so realistic that i turn my head to room door while thinking it was mine coming down in the house basement

Marc

Last edited by Idefixes; 24th July 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One more time LC VSSA puppies are mouvelous pieces of amp....that's what Melody Gardot said me today after lunch time : in one of her first album there is some passages with children taken in the background...that was so realistic that i turn my head to room door while thinking it was mine coming down in the house basement.
My friend who had my VSSA amp for a few days in his system, also found many new informations from music well known to him. For instance in Pink Floyd's title "Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)" he showed me a guy in the background accompany the children singing "Hey teacher leave us kids alone". This and many more details were clearly and easily revealed by VSSA, as he didn't notice before, although having many high resolutive amps like Naim, Gain Clone, T-amp etc.

Also by his words the Nigel Kennedy's Vivaldi: The Four Seasons concert never sounded so alive and vivid. Harpsichord in the background is presented with all small transients and harmonics. Many amps presents this concert as hardly listenable material was his words.

Guess what, after a week he called me and ordered two VSSA modules.

Lately, when performing presentations on different locations I encountered many heavy league amps having tens of output transistors, weighted 30+ kg, all famous names on their front panels, big bucks to pay, but sadly found their musical presentation from average to poor. Bottom line is people buy them as all these claims they're the best.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi LC,

could you take a look at few question mention in first post that would be nice?

Marc

Last edited by Idefixes; 24th July 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The "issue" (it's a really one??)for me is the samll amout of power comparating to the speaker that i use.
I am sorry but I don't understand: "The issue (it's really one??) ... samll", question.

Please Marc, explain.

Hide this!Advertise here!