VSSA 50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Marc
Facinating to follow your energy.
It will still be simple thing if you do like post1660, and should sound +like orginal VSSA.
Best thing i think, you can go ahead now and do one mono stage, because you have to times VSSA from Andrej, and that lovely preamp to test with (and i august Andrej ships VSSA Again, myself get my first VSSA, and you could get 2 times more for last mono stage).
BR Ricky

Hi Marc
We did reply at same time your post20 and mine post21.
Reply to post20, i saw that lovely SANKENS you bought in the other thread, but if Andrej's VSSA sound as lovely as you said, i think it must be first route but you are chief of operation.
BR Ricky
PS Must go off web for some work

Good idea BYRTT :up:

Marc, connect two VSSA modules to bridge (full balanced) and you'll get almost double amplitude on the speakers terminals, meaning four times the power in theory. I think it will be 2,5 times in reality. Your preamp is well prepared for that arrangement since it has full balanced outputs. :yes:

Can you use 2SK246 that has higher voltage and still available.
Do you need the full rail voltage at the front
I would stick to the orig LC design and keep the voltage on the front same level as LC even do you want higher rail voltage:)
What do you think, in that case you could use the low noise high hfe BC550C & BC560C
Bridging two channel is good idea if your speakers are min. 8Ohms, otherwise you will kill the amplifier....
I think you know that.
To build a 90db speakers takes a lot of time, specially to get the X-over right. That has to be done at your listening room.
And after that still not sure you will like the sound of your new speaker.

Greetings G

Can you use 2SK246 that has higher voltage and still available.
Do you need the full rail voltage at the front
I would stick to the orig LC design and keep the voltage on the front same level as LC even do you want higher rail voltage:)
What do you think, in that case you could use the low noise high hfe BC550C & BC560C
Bridging two channel is good idea if your speakers are min. 8Ohms, otherwise you will kill the amplifier....
I think you know that.
To build a 90db speakers takes a lot of time, specially to get the X-over right. That has to be done at your listening room.
And after that still not sure you will like the sound of your new speaker.

Greetings G

Yes i no that all. In last choice a could rebuild my first love speaker : scanspeak 15w4531g00 (revelator serie)/Fountek JP3. I sold the scanspeak driver for buying cquenz one....what a regret i have as i spend a huge among of pleasure time with bookshelves. This was driven by the zenquito. It had same power rails PSU as VSSA only 2 pair of 1058/162 as output. I never feel frustration with power need in 35m² room.

lisa10.jpg

The cross over is a serie one that i have lay up today in a box on my shelves

imgp0213.jpg

Marc

Yes i no that all. In last choice a could rebuild my first love speaker : scanspeak 15w4531g00 (revelator serie)/Fountek JP3. I sold the scanspeak driver for buying cquenz one....what a regret i have as i spend a huge among of pleasure time with bookshelves. This was driven by the zenquito. It had same power rails PSU as VSSA only 2 pair of 1058/162 as output. I never feel frustration with power need in 35m² room.

Marc

That sucks because those are pricy drivers:rolleyes:
I had the same Scan Speak like yours on the pic. but I use Visaton AL130.
I got used to it to the sound of the Visaton (also DIY speakers)..
I tried several replacement but I didn't like them. Like Scan speak revelator , Peerless. Audax, KEF etc.
It took me almost a year until I got the crossover (18db) right
There is a similar size 12L speakers at the Visaton site with these driver so I tested their crossover design and it sounded awful.
I think much easier to build or mode a amplifier than to build a new speaker which meet your criteria - size of your room, acoustic etc..

What would happen if you drop the front rail voltage by 10V or so when your rail voltage 50V at the power stage
I think you can do that and still get enough driving power to drive the VAS stage.
Greetings G

Last edited:
Hi Marc
I shall and will stop now about the balanced version.
But here the last which will use your Rcore and bring Andrej's VSSA to 50v, lower speaker z as mentioned by gaborbela.
But i don't know how to calgulate output power with a given spaker z, but others can surely help.
See image for wireing.
It also follow letters VS in VSSA name.
BR Ricky

Attachments

• VSSA bridge.png
    VSSA bridge.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Fellows, I am more than interested in the balanced amplifier discussion, as i have also a working balanced preamp. As VSSA is specified to work with 4 ohms at +/-45V i would expect two VSSAs will work balanced at the same voltage in 8 Ohms without issues. Just need to at least double the power supply capacitors and heatsinks. Maybe a PeeCeeBee optimized for balanced operation and using discrete P and N channels would be better than two working VSSA balanced with the mixed ALFETs.
I guess we can aim for a huge power with this kind of structure (I aim for a 200W/8Ohms which sounds realistic in my proposed outline).
Cheers!

Hi metallicus69
I am a little bit sure ballanced version will hit top in SQ with right wiring and do high power (Mostly because of common mode return from speaker gets relieved to kind of virtuel point between pos/neg amp). So your post1660 can be gold. But my setup at present don't need that high power, and only have single ended out at present. But would like to hear experience whit such a setup.
BR Ricky

Marc, I have a better advice to you, with this one you'll hit two flies with one swat. Listen, in the mean time waiting on First Oné to arrive, why don't you build a speakers with high efficiency and in september you will have new speakers and a new amp. All kinds of combination possible among four of them. :wiz:
Hi LC,

Why not...The question will be more could i resist to Oné call.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Marc
Lazy Cat hasn't been very lazy lately. First One SMD populated PCB (50 x 80 mm) first time connected to SMPS600 and yes it will run on +/-64 V :cool:

Attachments

• First One Test 2.jpg
    First One Test 2.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 797
  • First One Test 1.jpg
    First One Test 1.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 744
it will run on +/-64 V :cool:
Hi Andrej, thats nice
Very symetrical and short trace Down 4 X devices lane (Picture).
Guessing - you ad buffer for VAS and using LATfets ?
Does it also hold your before mentioned LTP for input (Wikepidia say=Long Taylored Pair) or is somthing about leds ?
BR Ricky

Attachments

• ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
Hi metallicus69
I am a little bit sure ballanced version will hit top in SQ with right wiring and do high power (Mostly because of common mode return from speaker gets relieved to kind of virtuel point between pos/neg amp). So your post1660 can be gold. But my setup at present don't need that high power, and only have single ended out at present. But would like to hear experience whit such a setup.
BR Ricky

Hi Ricky,
Yes, I need to plan this very carefully. For the moment I will mount VSSA in it's own box giving the best I can to have it a good reference (500VA trafo with 4 separate windings, as I would like to get best separation, independent rectifiers and 2x15.000uF capacitors for each channel).

As you spotted, in case of balanced operation the speaker return will not come into ground, so that means I can have only one power supply per channel, not differential, but high voltage; that can be referenced to GND by a lower current divider. For that project I already have a 1kW toroid with 2 independent 63V secondary windings, so I can use one for each channel (around 85V after rectifiers that makes less than 90V maximum voltage recommended by LC). I also have lots of 10000uF/100V caps that are drying in the drawer and also a PCB that can hold 8 of each, making a hefty 40.000uF per channel. For the active elements I have 4 matched pairs of pulled Hitachi 2SK175/2SJ55 that should be enough for both channels. I plan to breadboard everything on the power heatsink, with power devices mounted on L shaped aluminium at 1/3 and 2/3 height distance from the edges.
Of course, the cap multiplier presented by PMI in another thread is also appealing, and also elevated rails for the input stage... but I know that too many complications can kill my project and I don't want that!
It's quite nice and hot in NL these days and I don't feel like turning on the soldering iron but enjoy the nice weather instead. Also, with family and a full-time job, it will take a while until I will get all the pieces together. But that is why I mentioned the idea, maybe somebody will be faster than me :)

Marc, please let me know if you feel I am way too off-topic, I don't intend to jeopardize your thread. I am following carefully all the nice projects you are making.
Cheers!

Thanks Marc and metallicus69
I see you have certain serious plan and knowledge, so don't have to mention remember do wiring as symetrically as possible eg same length/dimension/route for pos/neg amps and psu.
Myself have situation than if this brings higher SQ and truth for reproducing source i go that way, even i don't need the high power.
But i first need to make trails with VSSA when arrives then BG1-BJT (Sanken) and also need to try standard supply/PMI supply/Hypex/Connex. So at first mix against 2xamps + 4xPSU to get analized which setup is most true in performance (and frustrating in timemanner, Andrej yesterday teased new model called "First One", then 3x amps).
All this for me needs to be answered before putting in big time effort for setting up ballanced version, so at present it is future, but i believe 2xmodul agaist 1xmodul per mono stage wil bring higher SQ.
By the way metallicus69, do you think the resistors in post28 example can do the current divider ?
BR Ricky

Last edited:
Lovely to hear Marc, i like to be there AUDIOHEAVEN myself, it is like kind of dope, and worlds then OK again.
High SQ soundstage is there at most of the CD-material but commercial industri have not seemed to get poor/ordinary man the high SQ material out in room (They more seems focused on new higher resolution and channels to few % of rich population).
So we diy which Works for us, and spread out to family and friends, beatifull.
BR Ricky

By the way metallicus69, do you think the resistors in post28 example can do the current divider ?
BR Ricky
I think yes, they will do (I was thinking also in that area, 5-20kOhms).
My advice is also to follow your dreams, and plans. i abandoned too many projects because something better appeared in my sight, so I would suggest don't loose your target.
Anyway, if something it's worthy in my journey to the high-end dream, I will make it public, no worries :) First milestone is VSSA, for now (assembled, but no cased and tested)...
Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.