diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 06:18 PM   #461
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

That discussion is a bit over my head, but I gather that D8 & 9 are a safety measure to prevent reverse wiring the amp?
Old 14th August 2013, 07:06 PM   #462
diyAudio Member

Any idea of when the next version (V2.3?) will be available? I noticed the V2.2 boards are in stock. Will the store wait until all of the V2.2 boards are gone before they make available the newer version? what is no one buys the V2.2 board because they're waiting for the newer version?
Old 14th August 2013, 07:13 PM   #463
diyAudio Member

I just got my boards. Where in this thread did version 2.3 start. Maybe I don't want to build these.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:16 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

I'm building v2.2 boards, they are perfectly fine. You may need to drill out a couple holes and scrape off a couple of solder pads but I've had no big issues. OS said a few pages back that the v2.3 changes are only convenience changes- larger holes, etc.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:25 PM   #465
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
OS said a few pages back that the v2.3 changes are only convenience changes- larger holes, etc.
Right. Ostripper detailed the changes in post #391 and #396. Then in #402 clarified that these are minor changes to make construction easier. The schematic hasn't changed. I built the V2.2 and love it.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:02 PM   #466
pthep is offline pthep  Canada
diyAudio Member

If anyone would care to comment regarding the major component placements within
the enclosure, I would appreciate that. Just a little worried there may be some interference issues I have overlooked. Using the amp, sp and ss boards, ps will be point to point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case_1.jpg (320.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg case_2.jpg (365.9 KB, 367 views)
Old 15th August 2013, 02:50 AM   #467
diyAudio Member

Another thought on board changes, perhaps too late but oh well. Would be nice to have solder pads on the top for Q16-21, and even 14 & 15. That way we could temporarily bolt the transistors to the heat sink, lay the board on top and align, and solder in place. Then remove, apply the mica and grease and do a final install.
Old 15th August 2013, 02:50 AM   #468
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthep View Post
If anyone would care to comment regarding the major component placements within
the enclosure, I would appreciate that. Just a little worried there may be some interference issues I have overlooked. Using the amp, sp and ss boards, ps will be point to point.

Either way looks good to me. Look up nissman's or jo jo's amp (the other builds) or even builds in general on the solid state forum -
The build thread ....
Post your Solid State pics here.

Lots of wisdom and idea's there....

OS
Old 15th August 2013, 03:00 AM   #469
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Another thought on board changes, perhaps too late but oh well. Would be nice to have solder pads on the top for Q16-21, and even 14 & 15. That way we could temporarily bolt the transistors to the heat sink, lay the board on top and align, and solder in place. Then remove, apply the mica and grease and do a final install.
The V2.4 I posted for everybody has all those changes. I have V2.3 boards , I didn't even know they were selling V2.2.

V2.2 was the original submitted to variac , I left for awhile - I saw that the boards (including the one's DIYA gave me) were V2.3 .

ALL the versions are electrically perfect with no errors , match the BOM , and just have slight mechanical variations. V2.4 ,( if they make them) ... Is perfect , but the other versions can be made just as perfect with a little careful tweaking.

OS
Old 15th August 2013, 04:04 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

Oh absolutely! I'm very happy with the v2.2 boards. I was chomping at the bit to get going on this amp and bought the first boards available, which are totally functional and workable. Please don't take any of this as anything but constructive feedback. I've built a wall-wart powered DAC and an Aikido, this is my first foray into high power. Yet I feel confident, with the v2.2 boards and also the soft start, speaker protection, and upcoming PSU boards. You all have done an incredible job putting this together. No complaints, just trying to give back to the community with suggestions for improvement.

I'd buy even the v2.2 boards again in a heartbeat.

Hide this!Advertise here!