diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Ok understand what you are saying but then how does he know that they are overkill as above post? Really just looking for a ballpark educated guess based on past experience from other amps. Worst case ambient would be 85F. Speakers are 6ohm and 89 db sensitivity. Play music at loudest 95-100 db

What you described was larger than the full genesis heatsinks I used on
the first badger with 4 pair. I eventually halved the heatsink (it was in
2 parts).

So I thought it safe to say your full size would be "overkill".
The half genesis HS was 100mm X 175mm X 175mm.

(below 1) ... I could never get more than "warm" with 4 pair NJW X2 in
40C hot tennessee weather with just 1/2 the heatsinks you see in
the picture.
If you look to an OEM (below 2)- 4 pair (2 channel) on a 80 X 80 X 140mm. I own it...
barely gets warm with 2 pair 8R (speakers) cranking all day.

Use the photo's or my approximation of the sizes to judge what 3 pairs
would require.

PS - this is where the source comes in ... I am quite sure that I could really heat
either amp up with a continuous full level sine !
OS

Attachments

• genesis.jpg
    genesis.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 4pairHS.jpg
    4pairHS.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Another point to make is output device selection.

ON/fairchild devices perform best at 60-80ma ... they run "hotter".

The second amp I just described uses "ring emitter" Sanken Op devices.
These have a recommended quiescent current of just 30-35ma , this
is how the Japanese OEM's "get away" with using such small thermal
solutions.
My badger has twice the heatsink , but idles at the same temperature
as my H/K !
PS - you could use the Sanken outputs on the Badger :) ... They are reasonably
priced and some say they are more "musical".
OS

I'm actually a "nuub" (my internet addicted son says this) , as well.

Self , Cordell , Hawksford ... they are the true engineers :eek: .

I have just repaired many , found so many in the waste .... so many examples
of good amps and bad. I like the ones that last decades with only
a recap , these ones I note in my design philosophy.

As I learn more , this philosophy matures to differentiate between "adequate"
and exceptional. Some of the simple designs , like this one ... mirror the
"good old days". Early Kenwood , Sansui , and Luxman used this Linn
topology and live on as "vintage".

The first amp I ever pondered over was Ampslab's C300 c300 - 300Watts Power Amp by AmpsLab
This was before I even knew about DIYA. :D

OS

Honey Badger topology

Hey OS!

I'm reading through this thread having just purchased a set of boards from the DIYaudio so first is a Thanks! You have spearheaded a wonderful idea. I look forward to this build!

Second I just noted you mentioned (vintage) Linn topology :) I love the Linn Klout. Is the Honey badger topology in some way related to that of Linn Klout?

Hey OS!

I'm reading through this thread having just purchased a set of boards from the DIYaudio so first is a Thanks! You have spearheaded a wonderful idea. I look forward to this build!

Second I just noted you mentioned (vintage) Linn topology :) I love the Linn Klout. Is the Honey badger topology in some way related to that of Linn Klout?

Just an extra "n" :eek: (I have seen it this way).
Actually , it was Harry C. Lin 1956 .... first amps were simple , no fancy
CCS's or CM's or Cascodes . Just a basic input stage , VAS , current amp affair.

Those very old ... (70's) consumer amps were simply a resistive sourced
input pair (or singleton -one device) , bootstrapped VAS (you can do
this with the badger) and a simple EF2 output stage . Some are still
around.

We have "come a long way ..baby!" ... :D

OS

topology vintage!

Understood (kinda) :worship: Thanks OS.

I am not at all well versed about the much more complex world of solid state.

I'm stretching over from the tube world for a deep drink of power. :spin:

Some solid state amps have left a permanent mark on me like that Linn Klout. Someday I hope to understand what made it so musical. First I build what is within reach.:eek:

Thanks so much for this amp and this guide. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it.

Cheers!

Linn gear is not for everyone...but what gear is?

The Klout however, seems to have won many a heart. Mention it's name in informed circles and no one will say "It's no big deal." They may say it is overpriced and perhaps it is so but something about that amp has folks not parting with them.

I'd love to know it's secret. All that is obvious is that the toroidal transformer takes up the lion's share of interior real estate :rolleyes:

For the Honey Badger I can see too the real estate is mostly about power supply, but too, I can clearly see the dozen output devices. I like being able to see what something is made of .;)

The "big" power up happened today, rather anticlimatic (which is a good thing).
Both channels have been running for a couple of hours, bias is set at 25mV and stable, dc offset below 1mV. Heatsinks are mildly warm, certainly way cooler than
my NAD 326 runs at.
Question is now, when can I hook up speakers and try some music?? Is there any other pre prep I should be looking at.
My build is, as per the BOM using the digikey #'s. Q1 and Q2 decided to go with
SS9014 as I could acheive a better matched pair, and there was talk about
instability with the MPSA18. Out of 6 I had on hand I couldn't get two to match
closely.
I must say, there are numerous people on this forum that have helped (unknowingly to them) with this build. This is by far the largest electronic project I have ever undertaken, and I fear has opened the door to more.

Thanks again P.

Does the Honey Badger care?

I too would like to know what people favor with the Honey Badger. I am currently building a couple variations of the Bride of Zen and the JFET Bride of Zen and reading all I can to see what might actually be the most musical with my Aleph J but the HB is a different beast...

I'm listening to a Honey Badger with an Aleph J on the bench with almost all components on hand (just need the ground buss bar). I'll let you know how they compare shortly. ;) So far it is roughly equal to my Leach, with each having subtly different strengths. Beats a Yamaha DSP-A1 easily although I slightly prefer my A75, but that may be nostalgia over my first amp build.

I have been pairing Tube Pre's with SS power amps for about 25 years now. I think they sound quite well together. I currently use an Aikido preamp with my Pass A40 and am very happy. I think you might consider a tube pre with that Badger.

To Bob I'm still stuggling with going bigger on another Class A design or the HB. I love my A40 but not big enough(i think) for planars. So finding out that you have an A75 I'm very interested in your opinion.

Freecrowder I will be rolling amps again shortly and will try to do a direct comparison. I don't want to mess up this thread with detailed reviews of other amps.

When I first replaced a Leach with a Honey Badger I noticed the sound stage is a little smaller but better defined with the badger. Still wider than speaker placement, and it's a trade off. To go with that, it seemed very detailed, almost harsh until I worked with better recordings. OS suggested a resistor tweak to make it less forgiving but I haven't done it.

All in all the Honey Badger is a top notch amp and good boards are available. It won't disappoint.

Freecrowder. Basic P.S. 800va 45-0-45 secondary (Antec 8445), 1 bridge + four
10000 caps per channel. Rails run at 65 vdc unloaded. Chassis is home built from
scrap aluminum, sinks from heatsink usa. The chassis was by far the most time
consuming in the build process.