Integrated No NFB Son of Follower - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2011, 12:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Integrated No NFB Son of Follower

Here is almost completed integrated amp, which unifies No NFB headphone amp/preamp with the Modified Follower. As expected, sounds exellently.
Output "cap" is a ring-like cluster of 1000uF low-ESR caps (SamWha WL) with 100uF polypropylene shunt (Solen).
Current was decreased to 2A, since with 60V power rail power dissipation goes to high for a single transistor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Integrated Flwr 2A forum.JPG (161.3 KB, 888 views)
File Type: jpg Foto Flwr 2A res.jpg (115.3 KB, 842 views)
Old 15th May 2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks very nice Vldimirk.

I suspect you must own a heatsink company
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th May 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Looks very nice Vldimirk.

I suspect you must own a heatsink company
Some years ago I was inspired by Nelson Pass for building Zen4 and Zen9, then I wanted more and more power from them, and this has ended up by ordering of 6 big custom made (machined) heatsinks. Since that time, only Zen9 (4,8A current, disconnected CS modulation) is living still, another two pairs of heatsinks have travelled to follower-based designs.
Old 16th May 2011, 07:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Now the Son of Follower is being breaking in. Pass's style has touched a bit this creation.
I would also like to mention, that VT9 and VT10 can be easily replaced by more obtanible MOSFETs, since output impedance of the driver stage is nearly 2 Ohms (it is possibly a record value). I used to connect the driver stage directly to loudspeakers, and sound was quite listenable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breaking In.jpg (102.8 KB, 679 views)

Last edited by VladimirK; 16th May 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
Pass's style has touched a bit this creation.
Indeed, I noticed also the front panel design
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th May 2011, 03:24 PM   #6
miklos is offline miklos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default PCB

A possible PCB for the power amp.
The board is not include the large capacitors and two resistors: C6,7, 11, and 12, the resistors R20, 23 and R1 the potentiometer.
The size is 17.8x4.5 cm (7x1.8 inch).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VladimirK PowerAmp 2011 05 18.jpg (91.7 KB, 595 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip VladimirK Poweramp 2011 05 18.zip (6.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 18th May 2011, 04:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Since getting HF transistors is not an easy task, I would propose using K1530 as VT9, VT10. At this, R15 and C4 could be decreased for preserving the passband of the amp.
Also, now I can state that the Low-ESR SamWha WL 1000uFx63V, in the cluster arrangement, give very good result for the output cap. Of course, one could test also Nichikon KZ or Elna Silmic II, for instance. With 100uF polypropylene shunt, sound easily competes and outperforms that of a good tube SE amp, at all frequencies.
Old 18th May 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

And the minimum voltage is? Since 120w disipation kind a on a high side
Old 18th May 2011, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Vladimirk,

You know, it's kind of strange to see that you are from a city world famous for the quality of it's vacuum tubes, yet you are a solid state guy ?
Old 18th May 2011, 06:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Vladimirk,
You know, it's kind of strange to see that you are from a city world famous for the quality of it's vacuum tubes, yet you are a solid state guy ?
My amp building activity is not aimed against tubes, simply I believe that HF transistors and tube-like simple SS schematics could do the job even better (sound-wise). But, for achieving this, one should observe few design principles. One of them - make the regions with alternating currents as compact as possible, for precluding parasitic interactions, induced noices and post-effects. Shunt PS and follower-like solutions are very good for this.
Many "perfect" schematics with very low THD do not sound good, since the sound is sensitive to many usually unaccounted things.

Hide this!Advertise here!