ThermalTrak+TMC amp - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 05:10 PM   #181
diyAudio Member

My scope is a Tektronics 465B. I have an even older 561B ith 10uV/1MHz resolution. The FG504 is something different:

Tektronix FG504 Square Triangle Sine Function Generator

40MHz max. Sa, sine triangle and square functions. Linear and log frequency seeps. VCF. I think I could broadcast FM if I hooked up a microphone!
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:20 PM   #182
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
My scope is a Tektronics 465B. I have an even older 561B ith 10uV/1MHz resolution. The FG504 is something different:

Tektronix FG504 Square Triangle Sine Function Generator

40MHz max. Sa, sine triangle and square functions. Linear and log frequency seeps. VCF. I think I could broadcast FM if I hooked up a microphone!
I have DIY function generator working up to 100kHz, sine triangle and square.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:32 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

For inspecting amplifier stability you need something ith a fast risetime and high frequency capability. My FG504 has a 6nS risetime. ith 100KHz max you are only seeing very basic stability. There may be all sorts of nastiness you don't see.

You can make something like this:

JFET input, MOSFET VAS, LATERAL output = Perfect!!

Use fast small-signal transistors like the 2N5089, BC550C etc. MPSH81 are great. Output ill be roughly 600mV, balanced, and ith the 27R resistors roughly terminated into a 50R coax cable. Poered by a 9V battery. 200KHz is about the right frequency for examining output impedance. To do this, put a 1k resistor in series ith the generator and hook it across the output of the amp, probing the amp output ith the scope. You should see spikes, and little ringing. Don't blo it up.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:40 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
For inspecting amplifier stability you need something ith a fast risetime and high frequency capability. My FG504 has a 6nS risetime. ith 100KHz max you are only seeing very basic stability. There may be all sorts of nastiness you don't see.

You can make something like this:

JFET input, MOSFET VAS, LATERAL output = Perfect!!

Use fast small-signal transistors like the 2N5089, BC550C etc. MPSH81 are great. Output ill be roughly 600mV, balanced, and ith the 27R resistors roughly terminated into a 50R coax cable. Poered by a 9V battery. 200KHz is about the right frequency for examining output impedance. To do this, put a 1k resistor in series ith the generator and hook it across the output of the amp, probing the amp output ith the scope. You should see spikes, and little ringing. Don't blo it up.
Thanks, I will need a time to make it, and the time is something you miss when retired.
Old 26th January 2013, 03:34 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvi View Post
Dado,

Please provide PCB Pdf files.

Joshvi
Did you ever make this amp??
dado
Old 26th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Not everyone is following the Analog Line Level thread, and interested for a line preamp I did one here Current conveyor as a voltage amplifier perfect conpanion for the TT amp described here.
dado
Old 29th January 2013, 04:32 AM   #187
joshvi is offline joshvi  India
diyAudio Member

Dado,
I want to make this one.But later, because I am busy with my job and have 2-3 projects in my hand.I think this one is worth to make.I have most of the components except VAS transistors.Instead of ksa1381/c3503 I have 2sa1360/c3423, can I use it ? I brought these for my fc100.

joshvi
Old 29th January 2013, 05:52 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvi View Post
Dado,
I want to make this one.But later, because I am busy with my job and have 2-3 projects in my hand.I think this one is worth to make.I have most of the components except VAS transistors.Instead of ksa1381/c3503 I have 2sa1360/c3423, can I use it ? I brought these for my fc100.

joshvi
Yes, you can use it.
It would be very interesting to compare this one with fc100.
dado
Old 9th April 2013, 03:35 PM   #189
hahfran is offline hahfran  Germany
diyAudio Member

Just came across this. As I have a bunch of military grade matched dual n junction FEts
( indeed the match is perfect, has two separate chips in one case) and low noise, too,
any idea how to reduce this amp to one pair of Thermal track? I don't need more than 60-80 watts peak power.
Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 04:31 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahfran View Post
Just came across this. As I have a bunch of military grade matched dual n junction FEts
( indeed the match is perfect, has two separate chips in one case) and low noise, too,
any idea how to reduce this amp to one pair of Thermal track? I don't need more than 60-80 watts peak power.
Thanks
Just to remove one pair of the output transistors you will loose two TT diodes I used between drivers emitters. I am not sureabout thermal behavior because it influence thermal stability. Look here Little GEM, but I did not build the TT version only with normal output transistors.

Last edited by dadod; 9th April 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!