ThermalTrak+TMC amp - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 02:15 AM   #171
diyAudio Member

Dado,
Old 20th September 2012, 03:17 PM   #172
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Cambe, how is going with the PCB for the regulator, do you need the PSU PCB too?
dado
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:31 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Ordering parts now for reg and amp. Yes, please post PSU PCB.
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:06 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

PSU
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU-sch.jpg (96.2 KB, 478 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Main PSU-b.LAY].pdf (17.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf Main PSU-b(photo).LAY].pdf (13.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Main PSU-b(hotiron).LAY].pdf (13.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 27th September 2012, 03:54 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
Here it is.
dado
I found an error on the PS regulator PCB. There was missing connection between Q9 emitter and the ground. Here are correct pdf files.
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSregulator-BJT-b.LAY]-error.jpg (273.6 KB, 436 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PSregulator-BJT1.2(photo).LAY].pdf (37.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf PSregulator-BJT1.2(hotiron).LAY].pdf (37.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:50 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

This is new PS Regulator Layout, made to follows the role for less interference with the power lines (at list I hope, comments wellcome). The schematic is not changed.
Next step, better layout for the amp, hopping to get even better performance for this TT amp.
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSregulator-BJT-c.LAY].jpg (279.6 KB, 406 views)
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:18 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Shouldn't there be a diode from output to input of the regulator so output caps don't discharge through the pass transistors and hatever else? Also, R28 seems redundant, as the collectors of Q4 and Q2 ill have scores of kR impedance and only several pF of capacitance. Because of their high impedance R28 ill not matter much, like it ould if Q15 ere driven by a lo-impedance source.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:50 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Shouldn't there be a diode from output to input of the regulator so output caps don't discharge through the pass transistors and hatever else? Also, R28 seems redundant, as the collectors of Q4 and Q2 ill have scores of kR impedance and only several pF of capacitance. Because of their high impedance R28 ill not matter much, like it ould if Q15 ere driven by a lo-impedance source.
Thank your for the comments. A diode across power regulator transistor could not help to much as at the input of the regulator are big caps in the PSU, so smaller caps at the output or on to amp board will discharge faster thtough the amp and R22, R23, R122, R123.
R28 is redundant and I put it there just in case, it does not do any harm. This PS regulator(old layout) is in working amp and behaves as expected. It could be better for sure, but until now I never received any comment. Could you suggest more, also what about the new layout?
dado
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:33 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Actually I really like that layout.

For the circuit, if you have an experimenting spirit and a good signal generator, you can do a lot. But only if you ant to. If you are satisfied ith the regulator I see no reason to improve it.

For one thing, I think regulators are somehat misapplied. A regulator too fast ill make you unable to use local decoupling or lo-ESR capacitors. This isn't necessary and quite possibly hurtful. After all, 1 inch of decoupling alays does better than 6 inches of trace beteen the regulator and the circuit. A regulator that bites off more than it can che ill oscillate ith films inches aay.

So it is important to kno hat causes oscillation into capacitive loads and ho to make a regulator that is benign. Your regulator looks like it's pretty slo, not high-performance, so it probably fits this profile.

Using a regulator does not mean you have to use small output capacitors. It shouldn't anyays, this can be fixed in design. But you need a good signal generator to be able to verify and adjust in real life.

I have a Tektronix FG504. I've had to fix it several times but it's all I could ask for. Do you have a good one?
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:03 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

I have two, a Tektronix 475(one channel is not working, I have to fix it, but alwais lack of time) and much slower ITT OX 710C.
dado

Hide this!Advertise here!