Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
On my opinion, it is not so much the length of the connections that matters, but the AC leakages between grounds of various equipment connected together.

all of the above. distortion and noise slightly higher, cost and complexity slightly higher and no real ground issues or field coupled EMI issues in home systems.

-RM

Last edited:
Bear in mind that the circuit I simulated was quite close to the one that Self was referring to in his book where he discussed the input current distortion. If you simulate a "better" circuit whose base distortion at 1kHz or 20kHz with a low-impedance input, and get significantly lower base distortion, then you may see increased distortion due to the inclusion of a 1k source resistance.

All I am saying is that I was unable to duplicate his results with a circuit that was very similar to his.

This is where my 'quest' concerning 'input current distortion' started, the subject was introduced (at the least to me) by Bob Cordell.

In reaction to the, above referred post, I did some simulations and posted the results, I even tried to build a 'input-current-distortion' measurement device (posted earlier), this failed while my environment seems to noisy and my lab equipment seems not fitting the job. After that I offered to send the measurement device to anyone that has an interest.

Hi Harry,
... rather than chasing improvements to reduce a non-dominant source of the distortion.
... It is so easy to build a very good tail current source that it seems foolish to even begin to talk about input current distortion without first setting the stage with a good tail current source.

After this post and the work done by me no (real) discussion about the subject emerged, so (by now, and after the post referred above) I give up. Thanks for the flowers :)

Frans.

Last edited:
Dear friends, may I offer, as contribution to this discussion, the relevant part of a chapter from Audio Power Amplifiers?

Dr. Kolinummi was specifically interested in investigating distortion mechanisms in open loop stages, so this may be of interest.

Jan

Hi Jan, in my opinion everyone talking about amplifiers should have this book on his bookshelf :) as it sits (annotated and all) on mine.

Last edited:
I know this is probably a cop-out answer, but I think it depends on what is the dominant source of the input current distortion in the first place. For example, if the original input current distortion was basically due to the input-referred signal of the open-loop, and its distortion, then little improvement might be expected. By input-referred, I mean the signal current at the input of the amplifier to obtain the required output. This might be thought of as the open-loop transimpedance of the amplifier - just thinking out loud here.

On the other hand, if the input current distortion were the result of some shortcoming in the input stage, like a poor tail current source or junction capacitance effects, the even-order input current distortions might be canceled to some extent, depending on how well-matched the complementary parts of the input stage are, and how well-matched their shortcomings are.

Cheers,
Bob

Answering questions with questions does not resolve a thing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
all of the above. distortion and noise slightly higher, cost and complexity slightly higher and no real ground issues or field coupled EMI issues in home systems.

-RM

I think whether one believes the ground issues are significant is where it gets into personal belief on where the 'next veil' is. You believe in the efficacy of mains filters and have gone on record on how important they are to you. But you also use power line ethernet which I would never put in my house due to the HF grot it add that you them have to filter. But UK homes use a ring main system so you are inside the grot antenna unless you rewire the listening room.

I've copped out and am looking to battery power all source equipment (thanks to Jan) and if I can't use optical (TV and bluray). But I know its warm fuzzy rather than hard measurement :)

... no real ground issues or field coupled EMI issues in home systems.
In my system, I can hear a difference simply by changing the phase of any AC power cord.
(Easy to measure the best one looking at Voltages between the two grounds before connecting them together.)
I have a little headphone amplifier that I used professionally witch can be powered both by AC or by batteries. The difference is amazing.

I was under the impression that we had established that there are a number of mechanisms at play:

1. Modulation of transistor beta due to early effect (transistor beta is a function of collector-to-base voltage)
2. Modulation of transistor collector-base capacitance (transistor collector-base capacitance is a function of collector-to-base voltage)
3. Beta is (or can be, depending on the transistor) a function of Ic, even with fixed collector-base voltage.
4. Tail current is supposed to be pure DC but can be modulated by the signal if the tail current source is not properly implemented.

All these mechanisms can result in the base current of the input stage transistors being distorted. When that current passes through an impedance, this will be converted into a voltage distortion. If the input transistors are exactly matched, and impedances seen at the two inputs exactly matched, these distortion products are common-mode and will cancel. Imperfect matching will result in some of the common-mode distortion being converted into differential distortion, which, as far as the amplifier is concerned, is actually signal that should be faithfully amplified.

Which of the four above-listed mechanisms is the dominant factor in a given amplifier design, depends on the specifics of that design.

Have I missed anything?

P.S. I find the talk of inverting mode + input buffer interesting. So far everyone seems to have ignored the fact that in that case, the input buffer will experience a common-mode signal. So, somewhere in your circuit you are going to have to use a technique other than inverting-mode operation to ameliorate problems caused by a common-mode signal.
I'd like to add one point. The input stage, being operated as transconductance element, transfers a voltage into a current, which then is feeding the transimpedance stage ("VAS") to yield the output voltage. BJT have an exponential basic input law, when driven by a voltage. So, the input stage output signal, considered in each of the both branches on its own, has to be distorted. It is now common belief that summing both signals at the input to the transimpedance stage will cancel distortions of certain orders.
One should ask whether this is exactly true. Even if it is, the control loop actions will produce further components of non-linear input current in order to correct remaining distortions.

Matthias

Last edited:
Hi Jan, in my opinion everyone talking about amplifiers should have this book on his bookshelf :) as it sits (annotated and all) on mine.
I do not agree at all. Kolumni's book was a great disappointment for me as, in his approach, I did not find anything original in it compared to Hephaïstos's writings between 1980 and 1995 in L'Audiophile (in french) :
index
index

I do not agree at all. Kolumni's book was a great disappointment for me as, in his approach, I did not find anything original in it compared to Hephaïstos's writings between 1980 and 1995 in L'Audiophile (in french) :
index
index

Thanks for the references, I am not able to read the French language directly but google translate is of great help.

Still I would like to re-express my view about Kolumni's book, even if there was nothing new for you, getting confirmations for one's knowledge, or [some kind of] a second opinion (even a different view) is also worthwhile.

P.s. Searching for "site:asrr.org Hephaïstos" does not yield any results.

Last edited:
I'd like to add one point. The input stage, being operated as transconductance element, transfers a voltage into a current, which then is feeding the transimpedance stage ("VAS") to yield the output voltage. BJT have an exponential basic input law, when driven by a voltage. So, the input stage output signal, considered in each of the both branches on its own, has to be distorted. It is now common belief that summing both signals at the input to the transimpedance stage will cancel distortions of certain orders.
One should ask whether this is exactly true. Even if it is, the control loop actions will produce further components of non-linear input current in order to correct remaining distortions.

Matthias

It is certainly true that the output currents of the differential input stage collectors must be distorted. It follows that the net input current to the VAS (mainly flowing into the Miller compensation capacitor in many cases) must also be distorted to compensate for later distortions in the open loop. Indeed, this is the case because these currents are, for the most part, error currents.

The summation of the two currents from the collectors is usually done by a current mirror. That is indeed where some distortions and common-mode effects are canceled. One does need to be mindful that simple current mirrors are not perfect, and therefore that cancellation may not be perfect. For example, in a simple 2T mirror, even if the transistors and emitter degeneration resistors are perfectly matched, the signal output of the current mirror is less than the signal input to the current mirror by the amount of the two base currents of the transistors in the mirror.

It is also the case that the input transistor in the 2T current mirror is diode-connected, meaning that Vcb is zero. This can put some transistors near the region of quasi-saturation, with current gain lower, and less than that of the output transistor of the current mirror. Of course, the output node of the current mirror is often at a higher voltage than the input node, especially when a 2T VAS is used. These are just examples of some things that can detract from the perfection of the current mirror.

If a 3T current mirror is used, with an EF "helper" transistor, some of these effects are mitigated, including the base current error, the differences in Vcb of the two mirror transitors, and the closeness to quasi-saturation of the mirror input transistor that was otherwise diode-connected (it now has an additional Vbe of Vcb headroom).

This approach works very well with a 2T VAS, putting both mirror collectors 2 Vbe + degeneration drop above the negative rail. If the voltage drop across the VAS degeneration resistor is the same as the degeneration drop at the mirror emitters, the 2 mirror collector voltages will be essentially the same (within a tweak to account for some small differences in Vbe between the mirror transistors and VAS transistor).

Cheers,
Bob

It is certainly true that the output currents of the differential input stage collectors must be distorted. It follows that the net input current to the VAS (mainly flowing into the Miller compensation capacitor in many cases) must also be distorted to compensate for later distortions in the open loop. Indeed, this is the case because these currents are, for the most part, error currents.

The summation of the two currents from the collectors is usually done by a current mirror. That is indeed where some distortions and common-mode effects are canceled. One does need to be mindful that simple current mirrors are not perfect, ...
We are in accord here. I didn't want to refer to the imperfect real-world implementation of the mirror and summing point. Rather, I was wondering whether exactly all distortions would cancel in a thought experiment. Since the transistors of the input diff pair are always driven into different directions of the exponential curve with different transconductance slopes, I really would be surprised.

The main point, related to some simulation results presented on the previous pages, was: two nonlinear elements, surrounded by a finite-gain ideal loop, probably won't lead to exact linear behaviour.

BTW, do you see a reason to worry about stability of a 3T mirror "with EF helper"? Simulating it, one can easily get phase margins of only 30 degrees, and some people even talk of peaking in such a mirror.

The fitting of 2T VAS and 3T mirror is indeed nice. With a 2T mirror, one has to increase emitter resistors. But balancing also becomes more critical, since headrooms are smaller.

Cheers,
Matthias

Last edited:
Thanks for the references, I am not able to read the French language directly but google translate is of great help.
Still I would like to re-express my view about Kolumni's book, even if there was nothing new for you, getting confirmations for one's knowledge, or [some kind of] a second opinion (even a different view) is also worthwhile.
P.s. Searching for "site:asrr.org Hephaïstos" does not yield any results.
The links I gave are valid.
I do not think Google translate will work well because all the pages are scanned images. However, even if you do not understand the french text, the schematics are very instructive and will show how Hephaïstos was in advance in the search of the highest linearity. For example, look at this :
L'étage d'entrée de l'ampli -3- différentiels insolites (Héphaïstos)
There is a Caprio's input stage. Who knew it at that time ? By he way, Caprio is a DiyAudio member ! You also find other topologies which are sometimes discussed by now.

The links I gave are valid.

If I gave that impression then I apologize, my comment was just that the site is poorly indexed and that the search engine can not provide any help in finding useful information.

Yes I tried, google translate is of no help, and, although looking at the pictures may be nice, having the insights of the auteur is needed to get full appreciation of the data presented.