PGP (Pretty Good Poweramp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cmcl

andy_c said:

Looks really nice!

For the triac control of the soft start circuitry, are you using a microcontroller or some kind of triac control chip like the TDA1085C used in the Bryston amps?

Nope. A much simpler setup, based on a circuit idea posted on this forum some time ago by Eva. Works very nice and requires only a dual micropower comparator. TLC352 works fine as well.

Attachments

• softstart.jpg
    softstart.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 706
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Almost done...

syn08 said:
Site to be updated soon...

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like you've mounted the heatsinks with fins horizontally. I don't see how they would work anything close to optimal in that configuration, since convection wouldn't direct much airflow between the fins, and you're not making use of but a fraction of the surface area of the heatsinks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Cmcl

Edmond Stuart said:
Also notice that this version makes use of very simple current mirrors (Q7, R9, R18, respectively Q10,R12,R20), instead of the more commonly used two transistor topology.
Thanks for the explanation.
Is temperature dependency the reason this type of current mirror is not commonly seen in audio? I have only really seen it in Hawksford's transimpedance amplifier before.

Re: Re: Almost done...

abzug said:

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like you've mounted the heatsinks with fins horizontally. I don't see how they would work anything close to optimal in that configuration, since convection wouldn't direct much airflow between the fins, and you're not making use of but a fraction of the surface area of the heatsinks.

Agreed but sometimes you have to work with what's available. Those HSs were around $50 (including shipping from the US) a pair on EBay. I was unable to find anything with vertical fins anywhere close to that price range. Ro-Theta here in Toronto quoted me $150 a piece (that is, $300/pair plus taxes).

Another issue was with the HS positions. Ideally they should be built as the two sides of the case. Well, I was unable to find a decent priced, right sized, case with integrated HSs that would not run into $500-$700, plus shipping from Europe or Thailand, plus taxes, plus customs, plus spares readily available. I am also not ready to invest in a metal shop so what was left as an option was a 4RU Bud Industries case for $150. Top cover is perforated, of course.

The HSs are oversized and the fans control (MAX6665ASA55) is taking care of any transient thermal conditions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cmcl

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Would that be a fully differential amp with shunt feedback? If so, how did you address the issue of input impedance and feedback resistor noise contribution?

The input impedance is rather low and the gain is 1. The target S/N for 1V RMS input is -120dB in an unweighted 20 khz bandwidth, but only measurements on the final PCB will show the exact values (measuring low noise levels on a breadboard is impossible).

Overall, the S/N ratio with the balanced input stage will be worse than the single ended input S/N. Transformers can potentially do better in terms of preserving the S/N and CMRR, but I don't really like the idea.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cmcl

syn08 said:

The input impedance is rather low and the gain is 1. The target S/N for 1V RMS input is -120dB in an unweighted 20 khz bandwidth, but only measurements on the final PCB will show the exact values (measuring low noise levels on a breadboard is impossible).

Overall, the S/N ratio with the balanced input stage will be worse than the single ended input S/N. Transformers can potentially do better in terms of preserving the S/N and CMRR, but I don't really like the idea.

What I did with my design was to make a pair of discrete opamps configured as unity gain followers / buffers for each input, to provide a high input impedance (100k). The noise contribution of the input followers can be made extremely small, and lower value feedback resistors are then allowed in the fully differential section.

Of couse, this adds a great deal more complexity, but that's all part of the fun of it, IMO.

Another question - My amp is a bridged design (two idependent, but identical power amps per channel), so I make use of both complementary outputs from the differential opamp stage.
How do you make use the differential outputs to drive the single ended input of the PGP?
One output must be used in reference to the other (you basically get OL linearity if you measure/take an output individually, referenced to ground).

Cheers,
Glen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cmcl

G.Kleinschmidt said:

What I did with my design was to make a pair of discrete opamps configured as unity gain followers / buffers for each input, to provide a high input impedance (100k). The noise contribution of the input followers can be made extremely small, and lower value feedback resistors are then allowed in the fully differential section.

Another question - My amp is a bridged design (two idependent, but identical power amps per channel), so I make use of both complementary outputs from the differential opamp stage.
How do you make use the differential outputs to drive the single ended input of the PGP?

Cheers,
Glen

With two input buffers, have you estimated the CMRR? Worst case (opamp dispersion, resistor dispersion) its not going to be great...

The output is single ended, that's the output stage that I added to bruno's differential circuit. Full schematic will be posted on the web site as soon as I'm done with the measurements.

Re: Re: Cmcl

abzug said:
Thanks for the explanation.
Is temperature dependency the reason this type of current mirror is not commonly seen in audio? I have only really seen it in Hawksford's transimpedance amplifier before.

Hi Bobby,

Yes, I think so. Another reason is probably that a two trannies mirror produces less distortion. BTW, this is not of any concern in a CMCL.

Cheers, Edmond.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cmcl

syn08 said:

With two input buffers, have you estimated the CMRR? Worst case (opamp dispersion, resistor dispersion) its not going to be great...

The CMRR really isn't effected much - input buffer opamps work fine for professional instrumentation amplifiers, afterall. The buffer opamps have 100% nfb, so (feedback) resistor dispertion doesn't come into it. Each opamp is identical and has a unity gain frequency >4MHz, so OLG throughout the entire audio spectrum and beyond is ample. Unity gain accuracy, phase shift deviation, Z-out, etc is therefore very tight.

syn08 said:

Nope. A much simpler setup, based on a circuit idea posted on this forum some time ago by Eva. Works very nice and requires only a dual micropower comparator. TLC352 works fine as well.

This is probably a dumb question. If the circuit fails to turn on the triac, what prevents the soft-start resistor from catching fire?

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:

This is probably a dumb question. If the circuit fails to turn on the triac, what prevents the soft-start resistor from catching fire?

Cheers,
Bob

There are no dumb questions, but only dumb answers.

My dumb answer is: nothing. But then there are no reasons why the triac would fail to fire and anyway a triac is much safer than a relay.

syn08 said:

Ah yes - that was a nice thread over there in Power Supplies.

I've been looking for a solution that uses variable phase control on the triac. I wish I could figure out what's going on in the Bryston soft start circuit! I guess I'll start out with a simple circuit first and work my way up to a phase control circuit later.

andy_c said:

I've been looking for a solution that uses variable phase control on the triac. I wish I could figure out what's going on in the Bryston soft start circuit! I guess I'll start out with a simple circuit first and work my way up to a phase control circuit later.

A variable phase control circuit should not be a problem if a specialized ic is used. I was looking myself for such a solution and the problem is in how to power the controller. Due to the supply current requirements I doubt a capacitive divider can be used, while a power resistor is to me not a good option.

Re: phase control circuit

dimitri said:
Andy, this is not a good idea.
Power transformer will sing.

You mean due to DC (from asymmetrical chopping of the positive and negative half cycles)? Wouldn't this tend to go away once the 100 percent duty cycle is reached? Or is it some other cause you're referring to? It would be nice to get rid of the high-power resistor.

I did notice that the Bryston circuits have DC compensation that can buck out two diode drops (the full wave bridge with the large capacitors across it in the schematics). Are the Brystons known to have the buzzing transformer problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.