Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

I use a i5 processor from intel 8 G memory and 1 terabyte hd with a quite old vidocard from nvidia.

I have just try some starts and stops with LTspice, now it does normal, I get a crash when I close the program when it is stil simulating.

regards

Like Jan I’m running LTSpice on different 10/64 systems and never had any crash, although used very intensly with complex models.
Maybe your old NVidia card is causing the problem.
You could try the Intel onboard graphic processor, it’s more than fast enough for the job.

Hans

I have just try some starts and stops with LTspice, now it does normal, I get a crash when I close the program when it is stil simulating.
regards
I'm not surprised.

That's one way to get an "unhandled exception". Remember that an exception is an unscheduled interruption of normal program processing. If you want to stop a simulation, hit the hand (stop) button or ESC key. In other words, don't do that, but only as a last resort.

Like Jan I’m running LTSpice on different 10/64 systems and never had any crash, although used very intensly with complex models.
Maybe your old NVidia card is causing the problem.
You could try the Intel onboard graphic processor, it’s more than fast enough for the job.

Hans

I do not now if this has on mine board, there is no connection for it.

Maybe some day upgrade the pc, because also this kind of motherboards are no more fabricated I did hear.

I have the GA-Z68P-DS3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

regards

Last edited:
I would like to use the AD844 in a simulation.
I have found a macromodel; and indeed I have created a diagram/component, but the macromodel is called AD844.CIR and the LTSpice does not open that.
The .cir was downloaded from Linear as the Spice model.

How can I do it? What steps should I take?
any help appreciated
albert
PS (I added .TXT because otherwise there would be no attachement)

Attachments

• AD844A kopie.asy.TXT
    579 bytes · Views: 48
  • ad844.cir.TXT
    2.4 KB · Views: 44
I would like to use the AD844 in a simulation.
I have found a macromodel; and indeed I have created a diagram/component, but the macromodel is called AD844.CIR and the LTSpice does not open that.
The .cir was downloaded from Linear as the Spice model.

How can I do it? What steps should I take?
any help appreciated
albert

LTspice doesn't care what the file suffix is as long as the complete file name is listed in a .lib or .inc statement. In your case, you just need to include the following statement in your .asc file:

.inc ad844.cir

I have personally adopted a convention of .sub for subcircuits, .mod for model definitions, and .lib for library files so that I can tell at a glance what kind of file it is. But a lot of people just use .txt or .inc and that is perfectly OK.

LTspice has a built-in symbol for the LT1206, which has the same pin-out as the AD844. I've modified that symbol for use with the AD844 (and any other op amp with the same pin-out) and attached it here. Rename it to AD844.asy; this should work for you.

Attachments

• AD844.asy.txt
    963 bytes · Views: 64
Here is a more generic version of the same symbol file. I've just called it opamp-C to denote that it includes the compensation lead like the LT1206 and AD844. To use it, of course, you will need to replace the "opamp-C" value with whatever device/subcircuit you want to use.

As always, rename the symbol file to eliminate the trailing .txt.

Attachments

• opamp-C.asy.txt
    960 bytes · Views: 48
I'm afraid I'm not following you, Jan. Dan and I just offered symbols that match the pin-out of the ad844.cir file, and a suggestion for how to use the ad844.cir subcircuit model in an LTspice simulation. I haven't created a simulation .asc file so I don't have an error to report. Maybe triode_al can try this and see if it works with his simulation file.

Last edited:
Sorry, was referring to triode_al's post 'LTspice doesn't open it'. I was wondering what the actual error message was.

Jan

Jan, The message is:
Could not open library file "/users/albert/Downloads/ad844.cir"
So it knows I downloaded it and where it is.

I have seen that the ad844 file contains a .subckt and some .models sections; in the TIP127.lib file I have seen the same structure. Naming convention?

I wil study the previous respoinses and files carefully, thanks for the help.

What I am up to?
  • I had a PCM1704 up and running with AD844// out; then I made a more elaborate feedback (incorporating some freq. dependencies), and 'poufff' :flame: the whole circuit died on me. I want to understand.
  • I am planning to make an RIAA with the AD844 now, just the high level part.