iPhone App for loudspeaker measurement: who wants to try ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I wrote an app for iPhone dedicated to loudspeaker measurement: sound
generator, soundmeter, Fourier transform, ...

I think it is quite hard to sell such niche product and as I am interested
by constructive feedbacks, I can offer few "promotional codes" to users
of this forum. Well at least this is my first app so I think I can offer these
codes.

Sadly this is restricted by Apple to "U.S. iTunes Store": ask for a code
only if you can use it.

First ones will be served.

Details of this application are available on iTunes Store. This application is called "Messon".

Believe me: it works better than it looks !

I wish you good on this, i'm in Canada so can't get at the ap. I also don't have an iPhone, but given the number of iPhones at the computer shop i work at part-time, i could test it. I have one of my hifis there so all that would be needed to ply.

dave

I'd love to try it, I already have a FFT program from another company for the iphone, so i'd be glad to provide some feedback.

iPOD Touch support

I have a 2nd Gen iPOD Touch, would it work on that as well as the iPhone?
I don't know that I would use it much, but I am pretty good at beating up software and finding hickups that need fixin' or offering suggestion to make user interfaces run smooth.
Scott

I have prepared 3 promotional codes. Each of you normally received a mail.

To know how to use these codes, you can read this page for example: Help with iTunes App Store promo codes
As already said, I am not expert on promotional code. But it seems to be very easy to use, using the "redeem" link on iTunes store.

Take care that these codes lose their validity after few weeks. If you do not use it, give it a friend !

Does it work with iPod touch ? I don't know: maybe if it has a built in microphone.
Anyway this is part of the feedback I am interested in. At least the soundgenerator should work.
Regarding linearity of the built-in microphone, there are curves available on the net. Note that various generations of iPhone are not equivalent.

Last edited:
Hi, I was successful at redeeming, and have the app on my phone.

I have a couple of questions.

Was this designed for the 3G or 3GS mic? I know that they're a bit different and the 3GS mic has quite a bit more low end roll off.

Hi,

First of all thanks for trying the promotional code. Now I know that it works.

I did not optimize so far to take into account the frequency response of the model on which the application is running. Thus I assume a flat response, which is not the case in reality, as you can see here: Faber Acoustical Blog » iPhone Microphone Frequency Response Comparison
Consequently, you will certainly notice with measurements some peak around 9kHz and some drop in low frequencies.
Note that no weighting should be selected when making speaker measurement ("dbA", "dbB",...) otherwise this will alter the response severely.

Best option would be to use and external microphone but this requires some hardware stuff (open a cable with jack connector and use the right resistor as impedance adaptation). From the reference quoted above, it seems that the provided headset is much more accurate than the embedeed microphone, at least in low frequencies.
But if you use the headset as microphone, you certainly need a dock for audio output. I did not try this because I do not own a dock.

FL

You are right Fabien;) I just purchased it from the UK store.
I'll give it a try with my "new" ESL-63's:)

Please give some feedback !
I will update accordingly the best I can.

The sound generator ("source") itself is rather good honestly. I think the
"narrow band" is unique and efficient because it generates a sound which
corresponds more or less to a pink noise filtered on 1/4th of an octave.
Compared to pure sine wave, this makes a more averaged and reproduce-able
test for loudspeakers.
The "soundmeter" part is limited by the behaviour of the hardware itself.
Yet, this has no impact if you are making differential test. I mean compare
left to right. Thanks to this, you can detect a faulty loudspeaker. Which is
useful for an ESL (my ESL57 are in that case: one of the panel suffers
from aging).
Then "measurement" is just an automation of previous tabs.

Regarding the frequency response of the embedded microphone: there is
currently no compensation in the software. This could be included in next
realeases. See useful information here:
Faber Acoustical Blog » iPhone Microphone Frequency Response Comparison
Maybe one day some-one will sell a dock with audio input, on which we
could plug something like an ECM8000...

Hello all,

I am still eager to hear your first feedbacks !

Waiting for this, my second audio App is "under review" and will be available soon on AppStore.
This will be a pure audio generator, thus less "niche product" than my previous App.
If you have any request for such product, just tell me !
As for "Messon", I will give few promotional code to first ones to ask for it on this forum.

Waiting for this, my second audio App is "under review" and will be available soon on AppStore.
This will be a pure audio generator, thus less "niche product" than my previous App.
If you have any request for such product, just tell me !
As for "Messon", I will give few promotional code to first ones to ask for it on this forum.

So, next App is "Diapason Audio Generator".
Promotional codes available on request. These codes are restricted to US Apple Store.

I would love try your Messon app. My brother happen to make concert sound systems from used parts and refurbished speakers, and he could do with some help measuring them.

I do sound generating electronics for fun, so the analysis part might prove valuable when it comes to measure what the equipment is doing to the sound.

Thank you in advance,
Carl.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.