iPhone App for loudspeaker measurement: who wants to try ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will post this week the latest versions (and the last I hope) of my audio related iPhone Apps:
> "Messon Speaker Meter": major update to come this week
> "Diapason Audio Generator": no update planned
> "SPLnFFT Noise Meter": a minor update is currently "under review". No further update planned

Thus this is the end of promotional codes. I thank you in advance those who received one for their feedbacks to come.

Salut Fabien!
Just tried to find your application on the App Store (french) from my iPod touch (2nd Gen.) and when I search "messon", "messon speaker meter" shows up in the list.
But if I select this proposition it returns a "No Matches" message. So I can't get it, I will try later with my home computer which is the one I use for synchronization...

The iPod touch (2nd G) comes with a mic on the headphone line. I have no idea about its. Maybe you do ?
Do you use some compensation files to flatten the mic FR ?

Salut Fabien!
Just tried to find your application on the App Store (french) from my iPod touch (2nd Gen.) and when I search "messon", "messon speaker meter" shows up in the list.
But if I select this proposition it returns a "No Matches" message. So I can't get it, I will try later with my home computer which is the one I use for synchronization...

The iPod touch (2nd G) comes with a mic on the headphone line. I have no idea about its. Maybe you do ?
Do you use some compensation files to flatten the mic FR ?

Hello,

Indeed it is called now "Messon Speaker Meter", so that the purpose of this App becomes more obvious at first sight.

From 2nd generation of iPod touch you can use an external microphone, the one provided with the headset. I have not tried it myself
as I do not own an iPod touch but this is the way I expect it to work.

I do not use compensation files so far.
There are a lot of information from this site:
iPod Touch 3G Headset IO Frequency Response Faber Acoustical Blog
iPod Touch 3G Headset IO Frequency Response Faber Acoustical Blog
My conclusion is that the external microphone should be prefered to internal
microphone. And that some special dock should give even better results.
For the time being, if you want to apply compensation, the best option
is to use the "mail" feature and copy-paste results in excel. Then you can
apply whatever compensation you want.
I may have a look nevertheless to the possibility to include compensation files. Yet I put priority on the improvement of methods. This week a new
release (v1.2) will come that improves significantly the response to white noise.

I know now why I could just see it in the proposed list after typing "Messon" in the search field of my iPod but not select it, preview it and buy it.

I bought it from the itunes store on my PC and when I wanted to synchronize it said that the application is not compatible with this iPod (2nd Gen.)

I know now why I could just see it in the proposed list after typing "Messon" in the search field of my iPod but not select it, preview it and buy it.

I bought it from the itunes store on my PC and when I wanted to synchronize it said that the application is not compatible with this iPod (2nd Gen.)

I think this is probably a question of OS: please connect your device and check you OS version in iTunes (click on your device in iTunes).
The App was compiled with latest OS version which is 3.1.3. Just to propose latest one hopping this is the more stable one.
There might be something specific with iPod and not iPhone: the firmware update might not be free. But I do not know much about iPod. Maybe it is just for very first versions of iPod touch.

There is no hardware compatibility issue: with latest SDK, you enter hardware limitations and you do not choose any more which devices you claim the App is compatible with. I entered: "microphone" and Apple selects automatically compatible devices.

Hi, I have been eying the Studio Six Digital iPhone app measurement tools, but the price has been a factor, or buying a test mic and phantom power supply, your apps seem good, and with a low/reasonable price.

I simply wish to take accurate measurements of my speakers. Is the mic in the iPhone accurate enough, from listening position and right up against the driver?

Can the graphs from all the apps be saved to the iPhone or a computer?

What is the lower and upper limits of this, would love to know if my 1-30Khz compression drivers are hitting those levels as i'm sure my ears are not.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I have been eying the Studio Six Digital iPhone app measurement tools, but the price has been a factor, or buying a test mic and phantom power supply, your apps seem good, and with a low/reasonable price.

I simply wish to take accurate measurements of my speakers. Is the mic in the iPhone accurate enough, from listening position and right up against the driver?

Can the graphs from all the apps be saved to the iPhone or a computer?

What is the lower and upper limits of this, would love to know if my 1-30Khz compression drivers are hitting those levels as i'm sure my ears are not.

Many thanks in advance.

There are two "professional" sellers for such applications: Studio Six Digital and FaberAcoustical. And then there is me :)
I appreciate the work FaberAcoustical does with measurement of hardware: see the blog part, for example: iPhone Microphone Frequency Response Comparison Faber Acoustical Blog
Some facts:
* hardware is limited regarding sampling frequency. I am using 44100Hz; 48000 might be use-able I think which means that upper use-able frequency is between 22.5 and 24kHz (supposing hypothetical perfect analog filters at the input). In practical, you will not get higher than 20kHz
* embedded microphone is not very linear. The microphone on the provided headset is much better. Still better: a dock with audio input like Belkin TuneTalk + an external microphone + pre-amplifier ... There are even more sophisticated docks but at a cost !
Whatever your choice, you will be limited in practical to maximum 20kHz.
Then you can think of applying compensation files (one of the two sellers I quote claims they do) but there will be no miracle below 100Hz: when there is no signal, just noise to amplify, you cannot do a lot of things to compensate.

If you really want to measure the band between 20 and 30kHz then forget the iPhone. Even a very accurate though affordable microphone like Behringer ECM8000 is not rated to upper than 20kHz.

An iPhone will be a rather good sound generator, and a rather limited soundmeter. Instead of putting much money in an iPhone App, you should
better consider buying an audio Application for the Mac then a good external
microphone+pre-amp (like the Behringer I quote).

If you want a first overview at a very low price, then there is my App with preferably the microphone from the headset. After all, if you decide to
invest in microphone+pre-amp later, the 4$ for this App will be rapidly
forgotten.
Regarding export of measured values, the "mail" feature makes it possible to send a mail with values to yourself. Then a copy-paste in excel and you
create there the graphs you want.

You could also buy a sound generator only (like my "Diapason Audio Generator") and buy a true hardware soundmeter. But this has a cost:
affordable ones are limited to 8kHz and with imposed weightings. But this
will not help you to measure up to 30kHz.

Take care to be up-to-date regarding OS version prior buying any App !

Hope this helps.

I have a copy of Faber Electroacoustical Toolbox, also FuzzMeasure. Would it be good to use these as tone generators and my iPhone 3G with the mic headset as the recorder?

I am not familiar with these tools. I looked at their specs and it seems to me that they are very interesting.
I am afraid that measuring with an iPhone will be the weak point of your setup.

If you can borrow a basic soundmeter like this well known one:
sonometre.jpg

then you can connect the line level output to your Mac directly.
This will give you a first idea on your system.
Do not buy this basic soundmeter: keep money for next step:
buy a decent microphone. And either a pre-amp or "XLR to USB with phantom power".

If you really want to use the iPhone as a start, generate a white noise with whatever tool on the Mac,
record carefully (dont move) a "memo" of few seconds on the iPhone and send it to you (I donot
know with which free app but this should exist).
The white noise can come from a test CD as well.
Open this audio file on your Mac with any audio wave viewer that can make an FFT. There are free tools for that, maybe including the two tools you mention.

My App is interesting for those who want a standalone simple automatic cheap solution. If you accept to spend more money and more complexity i.e. post processing on a Mac/PC then you may skip the iPhone.

Now I remember that "Messon ..." is indicated in iTunes as compatible with iPhone only. Which is not true.
I am currently trying to solve this. I hope that just by updating the application (once I get the solution) you will be allowed to use this App.

I have a copy of Faber Electroacoustical Toolbox, also FuzzMeasure. Would it be good to use these as tone generators and my iPhone 3G with the mic headset as the recorder?

I have just tried FuzzMeasure with my Behringer ECM8000+Mic100+MacBook.
It looks really pretty good. I just don't know what are the restrictions of the demo version.

I should have a look at this swept sine technique...

Some other interesting programs are discussed here:
Spectrum Analyzers - Mac INTEL - Gearslutz.com

I think this is probably a question of OS: please connect your device and check you OS version in iTunes (click on your device in iTunes).
The App was compiled with latest OS version which is 3.1.3. Just to propose latest one hopping this is the more stable one.
There might be something specific with iPod and not iPhone: the firmware update might not be free. But I do not know much about iPod. Maybe it is just for very first versions of iPod touch.

There is no hardware compatibility issue: with latest SDK, you enter hardware limitations and you do not choose any more which devices you claim the App is compatible with. I entered: "microphone" and Apple selects automatically compatible devices.

Hello,
It is not an OS compatibility problem as I am using version 3.1.3.
When synchronizing, it only says that "Messon" was not installed because it is not compatible with this iPod.
I even tried with the mic/headset connected in case it needed to "see" the mic...

Sorry, I hadn't read your latest message before writing this...

Last edited:
Hello,
It is not an OS compatibility problem as I am using version 3.1.3.
When synchronizing, it only says that "Messon" was not installed because it is not compatible with this iPod.
I even tried with the mic/headset connected in case it needed to "see" the mic...

Sorry, I hadn't read your latest message before writing this...

Some news from Apple: "We are investigating this issue for you. (...)".

Is it possible to post screen shots here? Although I do not have iphone, I am eager about this tool.

I just added screenshots to my website here: http://quad-hifi.ifrance.com/AudioApps/index.html

Select the right App at the bottom: "Messon Speaker Meter". And you will see what this App pretends it can do.
Honestly I am very satisfied of the App now. I could still add features but the most useful step would be to buy a dock with a line input to connect an external microphone. Yet this brings complexity which is not my intention.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.