New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I may be able to help

JamesMelhuish said:
I have just moved to fluidhosting and am beginning to set up the new Single Driver Website and Full Range Forum. Apparently they have good service. Specs. are below, but I don't know if there is enough RAM for you. This plan is the virtual private server, not dedicated hosting.

VPS Plan Pricing

Power Plan:

Disk Space 4500 MB
Monthly Traffic 50 GB
CPU 300 MHz
Memory 256 MB
IP Addresses 2
Monthly Price $119.95
Setup $50

redhat Linux
Apache 1.3.26
PHP 4.1.1
mod_perl 1.24
MySQL 3.23.36
PostgreSQL 7.0.3
OpenSSH 3.1p1
ProFTP 1.2.2
Front Page Extension 5.0.2
gcc 2.96
Webmin 0.980
Usermin 0.920
Open WebMail 1.65
Majordomo 1.14
sendmail

(no affiliation with fluidhosting, other than recently subscribing to their service...)

James

See : fluidhosting.com

James,

Thanks for the offer, the price is probably a bit high for us and the site relies on Mysql 4 so that would be another problem.

rkbh1 said:
Guys:

I am relatively new to diyaudio.com, but I may be able to help - I have access to a T-1 line and can probably fix up a Linux box with ssh access to the administrators. Can one of the administrator'e email me for the next steps?

I'll send you an email today.

here is my theory... a few boxes spread around the world... not neccesairly rack/managed hosting... more like *stable* home users, but one rack somewhere in england?, seams central, that manages the database, all of the vbulletins on the others servers access the central database (wouldnt cause any trouble), so you could have mirrors of the site... i myself have a 10mbit/10mbit cable connection that could hold a mirror probably... but not just the site :whazzat: , itd get raped ;)

well anyway, just an idea ;)

Re: Re: I may be able to help

AudioFreak said:

... and the site relies on Mysql 4 so that would be another problem.

You mean vbulletin? Vbulletin breaks on my box with MySQL 4, unfortunately had to roll back to 3.2x... i'm seasoned in freebsd/linux/apache/mysql/php ... if any help is needed (sure you guys have it covered, running a nicely customized board), just in case tho, email me i'm always around and would love to help ;)

Have you considered hosting on Ausgamers? you would have to supply/buy a box from them

But judging by your bandwidth, and average users online at a time a pentium 3-S 1.4ghz should suffice. We could all supply hardware?
and as usual.. for hosting the computer has to be in a rack mount case and power supplies/everything has to be non modified hardware due to chance of fire

AudioFreak said:

I will be making changes to the attachments system soon so that larger graphics will only display a small version and you can click on it to view the original fullsize image.

Bandwidth usage on each server would be less as would storage space required and cpu load, but, RAM required on the main forum server really wouldn't change much (and this is 1 of the 2 main reasons why all the cheap hosts have refused us unless we go dedicated)... It's really a case of 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. There are potential gains and potential losses. I'll be working on this once we get our new hosting sorted out ... for now, it'll have to stay as it is as there is just not time for me to change things now.

Actually. it would be wise to disabled attachments altogether. Also,
Delete all the images as attachments in the database as it chews up excessive data.

For example. This thread, page(reply) is a total of 49kb(html, minus pictures) adding a 190kb picture brings this up to 239kb if 100 people were to view this page it would be 23900kb of outbound data. Thats 23mb, for one thread, 100 users.
Take away that picture and you bring it down to 4.9mb thats an 18mb difference, caused by one image.

on the reply button theres a 'img' tag so you can remotely link images. There are pages dedicated to hosting images for forums. For example: www.ugbox.net or www.theforumisdown.com

You can chop down the data massively by doing this.

Tensop,

As stated earlier, the site uses GZip for all transfers so it's going to be way smaller than you calculate, also, this site relies on attachments, without them, this site would basically cease to exist. By making a true small version of any big graphics, you save a fair chunk on out going traffic 90% of the time and occassionally when someone wants to see a particular image in full size, they just click it and it loads the big version. We also limit attachments so your 190kb picture could not exist.

I personally think we should have a member's gallery that members can upload there audio schematics ideas prints and pictures and then when some one posts a picture it actually comes from there gallery. For me the gallery would be best and i think some can relate to it being a great idea also.

better idea...

JasonL said:
I personally think we should have a member's gallery

In the future, this is likely to exist but it all takes coding and time ... with the server move happening in just a few weeks time, time is not exactly something I have alot of at the moment.

Now can we please get back to the topic. We can talk about things you want done to improve the site in another thread ... go ahead just start one someone or for that matter, you could make a suggestion on the poll we run on the homepage. For the time being, the only thing i'm interested in is finding a new place for diyaudio.com, please keep this in mind and dont post anything else in this thread.

I would like to suggest colocation at http://www.fdcservers.net/. For $99/month, you get unlimited bandwidth and a 5mbit connection. for $149/month you get a 10mbit connection. I could probably donate at least a case and power supply, and I'm willing to set it up, and have it shipped to Chicago (where they are located). I'm sure other people here have a few things they can donate, and we could probably put a server together for $400 or so.

Also, one way to help pay for the colocation is reselling hosting to people. I know at least a couple people who would pay $10/month for a gig of space. They wouldn't use any considerable amount of bandwidth, so they would not affect this site.

Another way to make money would be to sell diyaudio.com email addresses to members. With a dedicated server, that would be no trouble at all, and I could set up the email server and webmail. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would pay perhaps $5/month for a really nice POP3 email address.

For anybody thats interested. I also have a cheap T1 unmetered bandwidth, dedicated server .

-Here is my current sale:

The name of my business is:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Diamond Hosting - Click Here To View The Website

CURRENTLY FEATURED SERVER

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4-1.7Ghz
RAM: 512MB
Hard Drive: 60GB UltraDMA 7200RPM
Operating System: Redhat Linux 9.0
Unmetered High Speed Connection
2 IP Addresses
99.999% Uptime

Get all this for only $299.99/Month CAD!

-Current Available Upgrades:

Pentium 2Ghz – $25/month
Pentium 2.4Ghz - $40/month

RAM Upgrades, Additional Hard Drives, Additional IP addresses, 10Mbit and 100Mbit dedicated connections available upon request.

-Colocation Hosting now available.

Bandwidth start at 100Mbit.
For 50GB it only costs $140/month.

Omnidust Labs [ http://omnidust.com/hosting ] Is already selling this Dedicated Server on their website.

Well thanks for the offer, but I think the $150USD/month for unlimited bandwidth on a 10mbit connection is a much better deal.

I have a few questions for people here:
1) Would you pay a yearly fee for a diyaudio.com email address?

2) How much would you pay yearly for the above adress? It would probably include 50 megs of storage and unlimited attachment size.

damonpip,

I've spoken to nathan myself and he presents a fairly good offer that will be worth us considering. Given that you dont know the full details, I dont think that you or anyone else is really in a position to decide what is or is not a good deal so please leave that to me.

Re: your questions... As per my earlier posts, please keep this thread totally on topic and leave such questions for another thread. I've already suggested that someone start another thread for such things in Everything Else.

Status
Not open for further replies.