New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a friend of mine who runs an ISP how much 30GB a month would cost and he suggested that it would start at $60. But he thought the ideal solution for this type of site was to run it at home on an ADSL connection.

A moments thought shows that at 256kb outgoing 30GB would take about 10 days. So it's plausible.

Paul

On the idea of shirts, I can get some high quality embroidery done. I'm a friend of a friend of someone who does it. The only high cost part is the setup and digitizing the image, the rest should be fairly cheap. When it comes time for that, I can find out about the prices.

Paul Ranson said:
I asked a friend of mine who runs an ISP how much 30GB a month would cost and he suggested that it would start at $60. But he thought the ideal solution for this type of site was to run it at home on an ADSL connection.

A moments thought shows that at 256kb outgoing 30GB would take about 10 days. So it's plausible.

Paul

If you averaged out our traffic over a month, it would suggest that 256Kbps would be plenty but because sometimes we have 10 people viewing the site and other times there are 600 people viewing the site, 256Kbps wont come close to being able to handle the peaks.

My suggestion is burstable bandwidth. A lot of places let you purchase say a 2Mbps line, which at peak time is burstable to 10Mbps (arbitrary numbers here people :p).
Of course, you're charged for the peak periods, but as long as peak periods aren't too long (like 1/2 a day, every day), then its ok. That way you're just charged a small premium each day for the bursts, and you're charged a smaller fee for the 2Mbps line. Once the site grows of course, the line can be increased to 3, 4, 5, 10, or 100Mps (lets hope it never gets to the point of actually NEEDING 100Mbps to function!)

I've been in contact with a number of the cheaper hosts (host gator, host basket and radish) mentioned here and none of them are willing to host the site unless we use a dedicated server which makes it very expensive.

I still think that we need to persue the idea of having a server donated to us and then using colocation which in the long term is probably the best option. Given that we serve over 20 million pages a month to a couple of hundred thousand unique addresses, the promise of some cheap targetted advertising might be enough to get a company to cover the costs of a new server. Any ideas which companies we could ask?

In the long term, we do need to seriously consider the continued revenue making ability of the site.

AudioFreak said:

In the long term, we do need to seriously consider the continued revenue making ability of the site.

I am sure that there would be takers for "naming opportunities" -- i.e. a commercial rate card for prices approximate to what one pay for advertising in Elektor or AudioXpress. Just have the commercial stuff on another page -- the DIYAUDIO.YELLOWPAGES (pages.jaune?) -- and you could just bill monthly via a credit card, PayPal etc.

Local server donation - location

Surely we need to know the location of the hosting service first.

Shipping a server half way round the world makes no sense, and the hardware is the minor cost anyway.

Also, if we use our own server box, we need a maintenance arrangement - backup unit to swap-out, and someone, or list of people who'll do it.

We'll host it...

Hi guys, This is Brainchild from over in the video forum. I run the site http://lumenlab.com where we sell DIY video guides and will soon be selling kits. We host with Pair networks. We'd be willing to host DiyAudio on a pair networks account, 40 gig x-fer/month, 1+gig DB. In exchange we'd like a 'sponsored by' banner on the front page and a permanent thread in the video section or a small lumenlab banner on the video forum. I know this isn't an advertising site but we are grassroots DIY at Lumenlab. If you guys are amenable to this give me a shout: grayson(at)lumenlab.com

Re: Local server donation - location

dhaen said:
Surely we need to know the location of the hosting service first.
Almost certainly somewhere in the USA.

dhaen said:
Also, if we use our own server box, we need a maintenance arrangement - backup unit to swap-out, and someone, or list of people who'll do it.

That's what managed hosting and colocation are all about, they charge a fee to 'manage' your box at their site and you tell them what to do.

The difference is, a dedicated server remains the property of the hosting company and they might charge $300 - $500 a month for us to rent and use that server, with colocation, we own the server so their base charge would be more around $100 a month plus options.

Status
Not open for further replies.