Aleph J-X Amp Project

I was planning on using the barredboss 10.125" x 8" sections for my Aleph-J with either a 400 or 500va 18VAC xformer. Should give me ~25-26VDC rails, I'll be ok heat wise with just a J right? I'm not building an X version.
That's what I'm thinking based on Bill Fuss's comments. I would think a Plitron 300VA 18-0-18 or Antek AN-4218 400VA should work great for ~24V rails for a stereo version or single monoblock.

That's what I'm thinking based on Bill Fuss's comments. I would think a Plitron 300VA 18-0-18 or Antek AN-4218 400VA should work great for ~24V rails for a stereo version or single monoblock.

I used an Antec 400VA for the standard one and a 600VA for the higher powered one. They are pretty underrated IMHO.

8" long pieces are plenty, one per channel @90 watts diss.

Always nice to get a little confirmation, thank you :)

I'm most likely going to use the Antek AN-4218, I've had good luck with their transformers and use them whenever I want a toroid.

I was also eyeing the AN-6218 just for the extra-hugeness and overkill factor :p It wouldn't cost that much more, but probably really wouldn't have much impact on sound quality and I would have that much higher of an inrush current to deal with.

Always nice to get a little confirmation, thank you :)

I'm most likely going to use the Antek AN-4218, I've had good luck with their transformers and use them whenever I want a toroid.

I was also eyeing the AN-6218 just for the extra-hugeness and overkill factor :p It wouldn't cost that much more, but probably really wouldn't have much impact on sound quality and I would have that much higher of an inrush current to deal with.
I have the 4218 in my F5 and I'm guessing it should be fine for the J. In my case, I may lean to the Plitron because it is slightly narrower, thus fitting the slimline package style I want. I hope to be able to place the heatsinks about 5-5.5" apart and span them with the X daughter board that is 3.25" (think of an "H").

Not sure if that would be an issue if the + and - halves of the "X" are not tightly thermally coupled?

Thanks Bill.
It is interesting that you preferred less current.
I am not sure what you mean by organic, could you describe the differences in a bit more detail.

That's tough to put into words, it's purely subjective. In my system the envelope of the sound field develops more naturally with the standard J bias. My spkrs are Seas Excel so they don't need any help with generating dynamics.
I've had an Aleph 5 for a few years and loved it, but the J is definitely a cut above that in transparency. I'm pretty well hooked on Single Ended after trying the F5, I just didn't like the clinical (to my ears) sound. This is just my own opinion and you know what they say opinions are like (Everybody has one).

I wasn't actually correct, the DC offset was approx 2mV, I forgot about the offset produced by the generator.

The amp runs hot: the 8x8 heatsink with 1.75 fins was way too small for 2 x 18V transformer.

For AJ-X configuration, front end components (inside white border) should not be installed. I just removed them from test channel and I'm slowly getting ready for an X

just to be sure
Peter you are building exact http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111197