Help a noob build a ZV9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am in the process of building my first Pass DIY amp. I have searched the listings for answers to many of the questions that I have with varying levels of success. So i thought i would start a post where i might be able to ask specific questions regarding "a beginners guide to the ZV9" and as other people build their ZV9 they might add questions to this post... an informal wiki.

1. My first questions relates to capacitor C7 as labelled on Veterans boards. I would like to use either a Kimber 1uf or Solen 1uf cap. The Kimber's are polarized. How would i determine the correct orientation. It appears that they run in parallel to the 10,000uF cap. If this is the case do i attach the +ve leg of the 10,000uf cap to the +ve leg of the Kimber?

2. Star grounding: Do i star ground from the PCB ground, output ground and rectifier ground all to the chassis. If this is the case and i am using 400v 35A GBPC rect. bridge, where would i star ground on this as there are only tags for live and neutral?

3. Would a 3amp slow blow fuse work with this project?

4. Has anyone used Artic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound to attached JFET's to heatsinks iinstead of mechanical screws. It seems like a good solution and is used extensivley in the computer industry.

Thanks
Neil

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
neil_kaye said:
Hi,
I am in the process of building my first Pass DIY amp. I have searched the listings for answers to many of the questions that I have with varying levels of success. So i thought i would start a post where i might be able to ask specific questions regarding "a beginners guide to the ZV9" and as other people build their ZV9 they might add questions to this post... an informal wiki.

1. My first questions relates to capacitor C7 as labelled on Veterans boards. I would like to use either a Kimber 1uf or Solen 1uf cap. The Kimber's are polarized. How would i determine the correct orientation. It appears that they run in parallel to the 10,000uF cap. If this is the case do i attach the +ve leg of the 10,000uf cap to the +ve leg of the Kimber?

2. Star grounding: Do i star ground from the PCB ground, output ground and rectifier ground all to the chassis. If this is the case and i am using 400v 35A GBPC rect. bridge, where would i star ground on this as there are only tags for live and neutral?

3. Would a 3amp slow blow fuse work with this project?

4. Has anyone used Artic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound to attached JFET's to heatsinks iinstead of mechanical screws. It seems like a good solution and is used extensivley in the computer industry.

Thanks
Neil

1. yes-same polarization as main (10KuF) cap

2. make your star ground on filter cap,wire all grounds independently to this point,and connect chassis to it via thermistor

3.depending what size of xformer and main cap bank you intent to use

4. old ways,good ways........mebbe one day you'll must change that part ,from any reason.......computer industry is more "use it ,throw it if doesn't work anymore"

Re: Re: Help a noob build a ZV9

Zen Mod said:

1. yes-same polarization as main (10KuF) cap

2. make your star ground on filter cap,wire all grounds independently to this point,and connect chassis to it via thermistor

3.depending what size of xformer and main cap bank you intent to use

4. old ways,good ways........mebbe one day you'll must change that part ,from any reason.......computer industry is more "use it ,throw it if doesn't work anymore"

Thanks for responding zen mod.

1. What is the filter cap and what is a thermistor?
2. The xformer is 250VA per channel with 4 10,000uF caps for the main bank

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Help a noob build a ZV9

neil_kaye said:

Thanks for responding zen mod.

1. What is the filter cap and what is a thermistor?
2. The xformer is 250VA per channel with 4 10,000uF caps for the main bank

1. filter cap is your main bank ;)
2.you can try with mentioned fuse,but I have some doubts that you'll need bigger one

thermistor..........resistor with (in this case) negative temp. coefficient.....with current ,resistance decreases.........just chill out some time and read those Pass's manuals little more ....... ;)

neil_kaye said:
What is the filter cap and what is a thermistor?

Hi Neil,

a thermistor is a special resistor that offers a resistance when it is cold. When it becomes hot, after a few seconds, resistance drops near to zero. It is used here as inrush current limiter: what make fuse blow at startup.

I got two Digikey p.n. 570-1032-ND: current limiter inrush 10ohm 5A

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The problem is where to place them.

I would put the two thermistors before the transformer, between live and safety gnd, and between neutral and gnd, respectively.

But Zen Mod says to put one between chassis and star ground. It's not clear to me how does it works.

Ciao

P.S.

The star ground point mentioned by Zen Mod is the negative pole of the first 10000uF capacitor of the PS pcb. As we both use Veteran's boards, we have two PS boards. So I would better have the star ground point on the chassis, between the two PS, and connect there filter caps grounds, safety ground, input and output signal grounds.

Hey Neil,

Since you asked for help, i would recommend building the original Zen amp first. It's a well documented project, and your chances of finishing it with a working amp are high.

Sure, the ZV9 is a more refined amp, and probably even sounds better than the original Zen. But the Zen amp is a great learning experience.

If i can't talk you in to building it, at least read all the Zen articles leading up to the ZV9. Good luck and have fun :)

(and buy big heat sinks) :devilr:

I would put the two thermistors before the transformer, between live and safety gnd, and between neutral and gnd, respectively.
Thomas, that does not sound as a good idea, if I understand you correctly. If you use the Thermistor as an inrush current limiter, you must put 1 Thermistor in series with the hot (live) lead. I usually solder the thermistor directly to the hot leg on the AC-inlet socket. Dont ground the hot lead through a termistor, which will be as good as a short:hot:
Nothing wrong with connecting the circuit GND to chassis ground through a Thermistor though:)

Steen:)

All this help is really fantastic. I will put together a wiring diagram in the next few days after i peice this altogther and perhaps then soemone would be kind enought to look it over.
In the meantime, i am building a VU meter and was wondering where i should connect the circuit to the amp in terms of the risk of adding noise:
1. Low input at the line level in or/
2. High output at the speaker out.

Thanks

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Help a noob build a ZV9

Zen Mod said:

Let me make a suggestion here:

It is difficult to get a real star ground on the filter cap because
there is so much charging current flying through the cap's
terminal. Try running a fat, short piece of wire from the filter cap
ground to a star ground.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Nelson Pass said:

Let me make a suggestion here:

It is difficult to get a real star ground on the filter cap because
there is so much charging current flying through the cap's
terminal. Try running a fat, short piece of wire from the filter cap
ground to a star ground.

I know that you know......... :devilr:

little copper or Al plate screwed (schraubed) to cap is usual way for that........

off topic.........I didn't receive yay or ney regarding Babelfish pcb related mail
in disgrace again ? :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help a noob build a ZV9

Nelson Pass said:

When were you ever in disgrace?

hehe
like we said locally (on Serbian)........Sala mala (pronouncing as "shala mala")

which means "little joke" or ,if I understand it correctly " just teasin' ya"

just one more question (just to be consistent with my profile :clown: ) :
how many stages you numbered in MA24?

no further comments ........expected :Popworm:

Neil,

Watching your progress with interest. If you have a digital camera please posts some pics as you get close to assembled.

As to the Arctic Silver, I havent used it for anything but computer use. However, I'd be inclined to try it based on CPU use experience. It needs to be applied PAPER thin(try to get practically to translucent) or it will not perform as well as much cheaper alternatives.

This is about as far as i have gotten:
1. Boards are stuffed
2. Heatsinks and toroids ordered. I hope to cut the heatsinks into usuable lengths this week.
In anticipation of putting it all together, i have prepared a skecth of the proposed wiring (Toroid to rectifier to PSU to AMP and all to star ground).
I would be great to get some feedback and suggestions.
Thanks
Neil

Attachments

• wiring_schematic_3.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 256
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if (I dunno,I didn't look closely on pcbs) audio and power gnds on pcb are splitted ,you need to route both from star ground

all other will work better as attached

Attachments

• wiring_schematic_3.jpg
    wiring_schematic_3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 998
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.