• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, to a cheap loudspeakers like mine does not make much sense to spend a fortune on their improvement, I think.

These CAST resistors are too long to place them in the KEF's crossover.

In a new design without budget and space constraints ...

Humble Homemade Hifi - Otello

@Boggit: this is a crossover!!! ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

By the way, I do not understand why adding (bypass) Styroflex the sound has much improvement. The impedance will be lower but not enough to explain it, I think.

Tony Gee is like a chef, he likes to mix components to get the sound that seeks.​

Last edited:
HiFi Critic: Crossover Resistor Sound

-> http://duelundaudio.com/wp-content/.../02/Resistors-vol5-no-3-HIFICritic-Hi-Res.pdf

First:

Duelund CAST: 79%

“Did not sound like a resistor”, the CAST sounded
neutral, transparent, free from audible distortion or
emphasis, with excellent clarity and detail, good plus
dynamics, and very good rhythm. The non-CAST
construction Duelunds at half the price will clearly be
also worth trying despite (or because of) their negative
temperature coefficient, which is claimed to compensate
to some degree for medium term compression due to
voice coil heating. (For this to work properly, the two
time constants would need to be matched, which seems
unlikely.)
Second:

Mundorf MResist SUPREME (bi-filar WW): 64%

Mundorf’s MResist SUPREME showed some extra
brilliance and slight ‘ringing’, but dynamics and clarity
were well preserved, nicely expressive and transparent,
with low subjective distortion, and above average
rhythmic integrity.
CONCLUSIONS

While it’s true to say that we were using a very high
quality test platform, the differences we heard were
greater than expected and led to clear preferences.
Duelund’s mythic reputation was upheld: its products
really do seem to provide the required attenuation
without significantly disturbing the music quality.
(Close tolerance to order.) While slightly coloured,
Mundorf’s MResist also justified its reputation, this
high specification component holding musical values
essentially intact thanks to exceptional build quality.

One surprise was the higher ranking of the 5W
Mundorf MOX over their 10W example, but it was
also clear that these two were of different construction,
and both are very good value. The Caddock MP series
film sounded familiar, as it should, and certainly had
hi-fi credentials, but was not the test favourite. Close
tolerance values are available for this precision resistor.
Industry generic ceramic wire-wounds do the job
but are unremarkable, with some added subjective
distortions, while the Welwyn W24 warhorse no
longer figures. Found to be rather self-effacing, Vishay’s
Sfernice oxide film type was quite neutral but musically
rather bland.

Duelund CAST Resistor on Test – Jimmy's Junkyard

The end of off-topic, I hope.

Last edited:
If all that matters is DSP and loudspeaker, then you shouldn't need amps that good.

I agree. The nc400's are total overkill. So what? :)

So far everyone who's heard the Sparko opamp say it has more of a mellow character. And it's not because they heard others say it. It's because it does.
If you say so.

So if you heard the Nords with the new SIL994 based buffers and liked them better than your NC400's, would you admit it without seeing the measurement data? Or would you be to afraid to give your opinion?
If I would prefer the Nords over the nc400's I have in a properly controlled double-blind listening, I would have no problem stating my preference.

Well the guys at Quickcircuits turned the Rev C Nord Input Buffer Board Around in 5 days and done a really good job. So here they are complete with Sonic Imagry 994 OP Amps and our new Sparkos Voltage regulators, They are the best sounding combination so far and has really improved Soundstage.

Have you tried lowering the size of the resistors in the feedback network? Given the greater current capability of the SI (as I understand it) they can drive a bigger load. Reducing those resistors will have far more impact on noise than the other adjustments you've made thus far (placing basic EMI/HF filtering off to one side).

@Bavmike The Sparkos V regs seem to improve the low level listening and organization at high volumes, I don't know if I'm Audiophile imagineing it or not! and no I'm not going to measure it! But I feel happier with these than 30p LM78 7915's! And they work!
@SGK More than happy with the sound at the moment but have really appreciated your input, our next priority is working on a 12V trigger solution.
@ Maty tinman Now this is a crossover! On a Troels Graveson
jenzen-ats-crossover-pics-5_zpsw2ma9dsv.jpg

Last edited:
@Bavmike The Sparkos V regs seem to improve the low level listening and organization at high volumes, I don't know if I'm Audiophile imagineing it or not! and no I'm not going to measure it! But I feel happier with these than 30p LM78 7915's! And they work!
@SGK More than happy with the sound at the moment but have really appreciated your input, our next priority is working on a 12V trigger solution.
@ Maty tinman Now this is a crossover!
jenzen-ats-crossover-pics-5_zpsw2ma9dsv.jpg

I believe it. They are barely idling at full load where the HxR's are being maxed out.

Yep they are as solid as rock! I'm loving the 994's and again I have to thank you for the information on them, the soundstage is just so deep. I think I caught him by surprise by how many I needed! One of my customers in the UK is using the Phison Audio PD2 Preamp bit of price mismatch!

No problem. My goal here is to kill the myth of "class d sound". So flog those units out to the masses by the hundreds! :)

I still think there must be something very wrong with your circuit/board if you are burning out the Hypex regs. They're good for 100mA, quiescent current of the op amps you are dabbling with is low and the required output current is low also. Have you not gotten to the bottom of the issue yet?

PS: For safety's sake, invest in a proper crimp tool (with ratchet) and practice using it.

Last edited:
Can anyone help identity the problem here?
I'm building a stereo NC500 with SMPS1200A700.
Standard stuff here.
1 115V jumper
2 change J6 J7 to unreg
3 connect Var to Vhv-
4 J4.3 (nAMPON) tied to GND
5 connect adapter and PS with JST connectors
6 ground IEC ground and adapter ground to the chassis.

I'm getting +/-89 on Vhv and +/- 22 on Vsig.
But there's a 1.7V dc offset between LS- and LS+.
Where's should I start looking?

Can anyone help identity the problem here?
I'm building a stereo NC500 with SMPS1200A700.
Standard stuff here.
1 115V jumper
2 change J6 J7 to unreg
3 connect Var to Vhv-
4 J4.3 (nAMPON) tied to GND
5 connect adapter and PS with JST connectors
6 ground IEC ground and adapter ground to the chassis.

I'm getting +/-89 on Vhv and +/- 22 on Vsig.
But there's a 1.7V dc offset between LS- and LS+.
Where's should I start looking?

Talk to Hypex support. They are very helpful with OEM's.

Nord One NC500MB NC500 Mono Blocks vs NC400 mono kit directly from Hypex

Referring to the original topic, I have got a question. I am currently struggling to decide what 2 monos I should buy. In Euros, the following two option cost about the same:

- 2 x Nord One NC500MB NC500 Mono Blocks
- 2 x NC400 mono kit directly from Hypex

What amps are better (and why). Did anyone have the possibility to hear both?

Greetings,

Thomas

The consensus seems to be that stock, there isn't much between them. With the Nords you have the ability to upgrade with a different input-buffer at a later date.

I have only heard the Nord UP SI, on cheap Tangent speakers and I think they are incredible. They are the only speakers I have access to and cost way less then just the OPamps.

The Nord mono blocks are great amplifiers even with the standard buffers and of course they are built and ready for use straight away.
If you are not 100% happy you can tailor the sound to your taste with a change of buffer and op amps.
I was thinking of building the NC400 but purchased the Nords for the reasons given above.
I was quite happy with standard the buffers but did try the Sparkos and Burson op amps and prefer the Bursons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.