• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try and used a balanced source if you can. Nice System:)

I'm stunned, I would have never in a million years believed you. I didn't want to spend a lot on new cable so I bought some belden 20ga signal wire and some neutrik xlr connectors and made myself some cheap balanced cables.

Even with these cheaply made cables, the sound improved immensely. I mean, WOW! I'm not good at describing sound like some of you in this forum but all I have to say is WOW! what a difference. Why would a balance source and cable make such a difference? No need to explain, I wouldn't understand anyway. All I know I was shocked at the difference in quality from just changing from the unbalance output to a balanced output.

Its to bad I have to send these amps back in a couple of days. But at least now I know I definitely want an amp with the NC500 in it.

Hi Colin,

Your revision C boards are getting a public lynching over on audioshark. I tried defending them, but got banned in the process. You better go and clarify things about the new board. But keep in mind the owner of the forum is a dealer and he's choked beyond words about the Nord's stealing the spotlight from the wares he's peddling.

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Oh, so superb. How do you keep a straight face here? Some comments made by you really caught my eye, including:

Keep in mind that Joe has the old boards that have been revised since. I will be the first to say they are mediocre at best

I came up the the concept, not the circuit design. As I have explained in detail, once I finally tested them, I wasn't impressed. They weren't like the boards I built.

That whole thread seems a little tough to follow and believe - I haven't read all of it, just the first few and last few pages...

I've been playing around with a design probably similar to Colin's and to my ears in my setup, they sound awesome. I doubt very much the rev C boards are problematic in their fabrication - Colin used Quick Circuits; I suggested them after being pleasantly surprised with the quality of the boards and assembly on Bruno's pre amp group buy. I don't know if the schematic design changed, but I doubt there's that much to go wrong - it's quite a straight forward circuit.

And oh the irony of calling that place "the friendliest audio forum" LOL!

That whole thread seems a little tough to follow and believe - I haven't read all of it, just the first few and last few pages...

I've been playing around with a design probably similar to Colin's and to my ears in my setup, they sound awesome. I doubt very much the rev C boards are problematic in their fabrication - Colin used Quick Circuits; I suggested them after being pleasantly surprised with the quality of the boards and assembly on Bruno's pre amp group buy. I don't know if the schematic design changed, but I doubt there's that much to go wrong - it's quite a straight forward circuit.

And oh the irony of calling that place "the friendliest audio forum" LOL!

Many people bought the Nord amps based on my recommendation. Since I haven't heard, or seen measurements of the rev C boards, if someone isn't satisfied, then it reflects poorly on me. 100% of everyone who compared my NC-500's with SIL994's to the 400's preferred the 500's.

Last edited:
Yes I think it's been established that the old boards were mediocre. This is why they were changed to the rev C. Everything was shared here don't you recall??

And yes I came up with the concept, but didn't design the circuit. It's all on record.

Yes, as is your continual flip-flopped view on the Rev B boards. One minute they're fine as is. Next they're "mediocre at best."

Ah fair enough. I don't know what changed between the B and C versions...

As far as I know he's implemented Richard's fixes for noise suppression, and stability for the SIL 994 opamps. But board layouts and component choices all have an impact on the sound and measurements. This is why you measure with top notch gear like the APX-555 after you design a new product. And if something is off, redesign until perfected. You can rent machines like that for a decent price. Then it would also allow him to post the full gamut of measured results with each opamp on his website. Then for QC purposes, something like the inexpensive Picoscope is good enough to confirm that each board meets spec before it goes out the door. Standard industry practice here.

https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/5000/flexible-resolution-oscilloscope

Yes, as is your continual flip-flopped view on the Rev B boards. One minute they're fine as is. Next they're "mediocre at best."

Why do you always try to warp things around with hopes readers don't scroll back and read the historical posts? It's all in the history. i tested the Rev B board and said there was a slight noise with the Sparkos and LM4562's, and major noise with the SIL994's. Yes some people still like them anyways, but they don't have boards that measure like this at their disposal to compare them to either.

84e0dab5b8fdb1db1542fa3a1a1fcbb5.jpg

I doubt very much the rev C boards are problematic in their fabrication - Colin used Quick Circuits; I suggested them after being pleasantly surprised with the quality of the boards and assembly on Bruno's pre amp group buy. I don't know if the schematic design changed, but I doubt there's that much to go wrong - it's quite a straight forward circuit.

Any number of board houses won't screw up fabrication. Hell, I'd use PCBway - they would be a lot cheaper.

The schematic is straightforward, but remember people are messing with op amps within a feedback loop. That can be a dangerous game. They're also messing with different regulator circuits to feed it. (While we're at it, the circuit is still DC coupled and lacks bypassing for the op amp supply.)

Any number of board houses won't screw up fabrication. Hell, I'd use PCBway - they would be a lot cheaper.

The schematic is straightforward, but remember people are messing with op amps within a feedback loop. That can be a dangerous game. They're also messing with different regulator circuits to feed it. (While we're at it, the circuit is still DC coupled and lacks bypassing for the op amp supply.)

Exactly why the boards should be tested with each of the recommended opamp choices before firing them out the door to clients.

Why do you always try to warp things around with hopes readers don't scroll back and read the historical posts? It's all in the history. i tested the Rev B board and said there was a slight noise with the Sparkos and LM4562's, and major noise with the SIL994's. Yes some people still like them anyways, but they don't have boards that measure like this at their disposal to compare them to either.

84e0dab5b8fdb1db1542fa3a1a1fcbb5.jpg

I'm not warping anything. Go back and read your own posts. A paraphrased summary for those who can't be bothered: I heard a slight hiss - very slight - no I'm not bashing them; it was extremely slight - they're absolutely fine as is - Richard's suggestions can only help - they were mediocre at best.

And now, finally, you are preaching measurement. Glad you finally got there on that.

I'm not warping anything. Go back and read your own posts. A paraphrased summary for those who can't be bothered: I heard a slight hiss - very slight - no I'm not bashing them; it was extremely slight - they're absolutely fine as is - Richard's suggestions can only help - they were mediocre at best.

And now, finally, you are preaching measurement. Glad you finally got there on that.

I have been trying to encourage measurement data for months. I admit I was trying to be polite with my impressions of the rev B boards at the time. But now that the Rev C boards have replaced them, perhaps I'm using more descriptive wording to convey my impressions.

The guy who doesn't like the Rev C boards, bought them based on my recommendation. I was also contacted via PM from another guy telling me the same thing, who also bought them based on my recommendation.

All seems OK below is my post and includes emails from Marty
the first one starts "They sound tremendous "

He may well have modded Rev B boards as his order was left from when Hypex run out of modules.

Colin
Thanks for your reply. The issue is, as the Nords had MORE break in time the midrange became more and more reticent. Doing comparisons with the NC400 and the Nords using not only my VR5 but the Pulsars and LS50 it was apparent with all speakers I tried. It was as if certain cues and passages had been blurred out listening to the Nords. Also with the VR5 using the Nords there is LESS bass than the NC400. Mind you I also have a ARC REF75, Parasound A21, and a pair of very special hybrid mono amps that I have as comparison. I can check this evening and find out what revision boards I have.

Quote Originally Posted by boggit View Post

Hi Marty
Sorry to hear you have concerns re the sound could I suggest you give me a shout probably best to have a telephone conversation. Could you also confirm you have Rev C boards please. As at the time of your order we were shipping modded Rev B boards. Any way these were the emails just for clarification.
Colin

Received the amps, great packaging. They sound tremendous but I am wondering do your boards allow me to swap the op amps? I am going for something a little less recessed in the midrange. Thanks
Marty

Hi Marty
Good news, I would wait a while for them to settle in. You also probably need to get used to more bass?
Yes you can swap op amps just make sure pin 1 goes to the indent. Be gentle with the 994 and pull from the lower board. But as I said they will open out a little.
Regards Colin

Compared to my NC400 the midrange is recessed. Is this a trait of the 994?

I was kind of waiting for more feedback giving time to open up or indeed get used to the new sound. I can only react if I know. Anyway if you have modded Rev B boards I would be happy to ship some new Rev C boards FOC.

As you can see from lots of other customer feedback they like the amps. We go out of our way to help and support customers and that's not just customer service talk!
I look forward to hear from you. Colin

Hi Colin,

Your revision C boards are getting a public lynching over on audioshark. I tried defending them, but got banned in the process. You better go and clarify things about the new board. But keep in mind the owner of the forum is a dealer and he's choked beyond words about the Nord's stealing the spotlight from the wares he's peddling.

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

I didn't read the whole thread - but looks like almost 30 pages of subjective opinions and irrelevant bickering. Can you summarize the main factual issues discussed (if any)?

I didn't read the whole thread - but looks like almost 30 pages of subjective opinions and irrelevant bickering. Can you summarize the main factual issues discussed (if any)?

Well no facts that would meet your standards were discussed, because no measurement results were shared. However the people who buy amps on that forum, are comfortable judging gear subjectively. It's up to the manufacturer to ensure it meets specs both objectively and subjectively.

My earlier post here covered it, something and nothing one guy, most other people were coming out in support as below the second guy is in the industry supplying high end cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post CUT AND PASTED FROM AUDIOSHARK

Just for the record, my Nord One Up amps with the Sparkos op amps are stellar. Given the cost of admission, they are a steal. I gave mine several weeks of break in before I even listened critically. I shipped them to 2 other forum members who loved them as well. Sure, not every speaker or system will be compatible but it's the same with Class A, AB, or D.

Agreed Joe!

I'm at 200 hours with signal input on my pair of Nords with Rev C board and SI op amps. Mine are dynamic, smooth, full range and detailed at all volume levels. Great value for the exceptional sound I'm receiving.

Well no facts that would meet your standards were discussed, because no measurement results were shared.

Did a scarecrow frighten you when you were a kid? You seem to be rather obsessed with fighting straw men.

It's up to the manufacturer to ensure it meets specs both objectively and subjectively.

What are "subjective specs"? For any given system or component, you will always find some people who think it sounds great and others who think it doesn't sound that great. What possible subjective specification can a manufacturer ensure a product to meet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.