• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Did a scarecrow frighten you when you were a kid? You seem to be rather obsessed with fighting straw men.

What are "subjective specs"? For any given system or component, you will always find some people who think it sounds great and others who think it doesn't sound that great. What possible subjective specification can a manufacturer ensure a product to meet?

My personal philosophy is if it measures great, and people love how it sounds as well, it's a great product. Some like to dazzle nerds with specs, and some like to create products people buy. The best manufacturers do both :)

My personal philosophy is if it measures great, and people love how it sounds as well, it's a great product. Some like to dazzle nerds with specs, and some like to create products people buy. The best manufacturers do both :)

As a philosophy, that sounds [no pun intended] good, but the problem is that we have (quite a while ago, actually) reached the point where a lot of amps all both measure great and sound pretty much transparent. At that point, manufacturers start to try to differentiate themselves by providing "great" sound instead of transparency - so go for co louring that is (hopefully) liked by as many potential customers (or at least reviewers) as possible. Those are dangerous waters, as inevitably others will dislike the colorations.

Remember the Carver Challenge? Bruno has his own personal take on that "It's tough to resist the occasional sonic touch-up. I can emulate the sound of pretty much any amp out there if I wanted. But so far I'm resisting. If ever I give in, it'll be obvious from the measurements and I hope someone calls me out on it."

As a philosophy, that sounds [no pun intended] good, but the problem is that we have (quite a while ago, actually) reached the point where a lot of amps all both measure great and sound pretty much transparent. At that point, manufacturers start to try to differentiate themselves by providing "great" sound instead of transparency - so go for co louring that is (hopefully) liked by as many potential customers (or at least reviewers) as possible. Those are dangerous waters, as inevitably others will dislike the colorations.

Remember the Carver Challenge? Bruno has his own personal take on that "It's tough to resist the occasional sonic touch-up. I can emulate the sound of pretty much any amp out there if I wanted. But so far I'm resisting. If ever I give in, it'll be obvious from the measurements and I hope someone calls me out on it."

Yes but trying to emulate Bruno, and trying to make products that appeal's to a wide variety of audiences are 2 different goals. Not everyone has hearing on your level.

Yes but trying to emulate Bruno, and trying to make products that appeal's to a wide variety of audiences are 2 different goals.

Indeed. Because Bruno is specifically *not* trying to meet any "subjective specifications".

Not everyone has hearing on your level.
Indeed. A lot of people have a much, much better hearing than I do. Age, motorcycles, small airplanes, military trucks, PA amps and open sports cars have not been that kind to my ears.

I bought Colin's Nord One Up amps based on Mike's recommendation.

In turn, others purchased on both mine and Mike's recommendations.

I don't know exactly what revision board I have, but do have the Sparkos op amps and love what I hear. I know there were some changes along the way to fix some noise issues with the 994 op amps.

I lost more selling my Devialet D400 than what I paid Colin for his amps. Amp for amp, I prefer the Nord amps by a wide margin.

Colin, thank you for the work you are doing. Please keep it up.

Joe

I bought Colin's Nord One Up amps based on Mike's recommendation.

In turn, others purchased on both mine and Mike's recommendations.

I don't know exactly what revision board I have, but do have the Sparkos op amps and love what I hear. I know there were some changes along the way to fix some noise issues with the 994 op amps.

I lost more selling my Devialet D400 than what I paid Colin for his amps. Amp for amp, I prefer the Nord amps by a wide margin.

Colin, thank you for the work you are doing. Please keep it up.

Joe

Yes and Joe is one of the good guys. A tube lover at heart, but an open mind for innovation. Rare to see both in 1 package these days :)

Give me a year and I'll have you convinced that an all SS diet not only makes sense, it's also tastes wonderful :)

:eek:

We'll see. I know it's probably possible. I'd be ecstatic to get what tubes give me in SS. My system is playing music for 10-16 hours a day, so if I can get tube sound from SS, sign me up.

:cheers:

Yes and Joe is one of the good guys. A tube lover at heart, but an open mind for innovation. Rare to see both in 1 package these days :)

Give me a year and I'll have you convinced that an all SS diet not only makes sense, it's also tastes wonderful :)

OK, I am a relative newcomer to smartphones (my first one was as recently as 1996), but for non-essential stuff such as hobby forums, I prefer to have a decent-sized display and a keyboard - and until the EU finally managed to bring data roaming prices down, I refused to support that form of highway robbery.

Just imagine if you had tapatalk on a smartphone. Any comments based on subjective impression could be dealt with within seconds no matter where you are! :)

Dear Julf

This seems like a golden opportunity for you to perform some real measurements?

Nc400 vs nc500 vs nc500+NordBuffer...and perhaps even a nc500+Bavmike Buffer if he would post one of his modded noiseless Hypex ones.

Why are you resisting!? This would put to rest all this banter...assuming you would be honest, which I presume it's the truth you strive for!

I think we would all benefit; and you could see where the 'noise' might be originating from and advise?

You could even get a blind test coordinated afterwards.

Seems too good to be true if everyone is willing to play ball