Krell KSA 50 PCB

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all, finally got my crap together and have the outputs and driver boards for one channel all connected.

I wired up my handy +/- 26VDC power supply to the driver/inputs and all is good (no smoke). I dialed in bias to get 1.2V across the driver resistors as indicated on the wiki. I then check the voltage across the output resistors and I can only get up to .025v. No matter how much I turn up the 5k bias trimpot, it maxes out at 1.5V on the driver resistors and .025 on the outputs resistors...the fets/sink does not even get warm...

I am not using my intended +/- 37V supply, as I wanted to check it with a lower supply first...could it be the lowish voltage/current from my test supply?

I was getting some values close to those on the wiki, but thought since I was at 27V rails and not 37V, I would be a bit off anyway....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have hooked up the +/- 40V supply and get these values almost exactly - from the wiki...

If your front end is working like mine you will get the following voltages:

r103, r107 (rail-0.6v)
r108, r109 (rail-27v)
r112, r113, r116, r117 ~2.2v
r120, r121 ~1.59v
r122, r123 ~1v
(voltages measured across the identified resistor)

Now I cannot get the outputs resistors (via R126 bias pot) higher than .03v. The collectors of output transistors are are all seeing near rail voltage.

Here is a pic. the 2SA1943 is on bottom, and 2SC500 on top.

Power is fed to input and driver board from connector at bottom. . Output power is fed by input board.

I have the two NPN/PNP outputs connected (red jumper) and then meeting up with the FB (green wire) at the connector which goes to the + speaker binding post...

With this config, I connect the attenuated signal input from CD player to the input board, and speaker output from power GRND and FB/Output, and I get very high voltage (near rail voltage) at outputs...

Attachments

• p1010032a.jpg
    p1010032a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,351
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just noticed something - the input board does not have a power ground labeled, but I connected the power ground to the leftmost GRND connection of the three listed. I will try to disconnect it to see if that is it...

The Driver board is the only board that has a POWER GROUND connection, correct? None on output boards and none on input boards?

EDIT - From what I have read, the Power GRD connections are correct...

regarding my previous pic at the connector on bottom from right to left...

Output to + speaker terminal
Signal in
Signal Ground
No Connection
Power Ground - Star Ground (both input and driver boards to metal tab at power caps)
-V Rail
+V Rail

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Unfortunately, no. A working scope I do not have...

Would a reversed installed bias and offset pot do such a thing? It seems to work correctly (lower bias CW) and all voltages across driver and input board resistors seem good as I posted.

Maybe bad OP transistors? But all bad?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The emitter voltages of Q109/Q110 should be identical to the base voltage values of the output devices, means there's something wrong with the connection to the output stage.

I realized this from a few posted voltages, but isn't there the 2.2 ohm resistor between them? I don't see how they can be the same, or am I missing something?

I have confirmed that the resistance between driver emitter to output base is 2 ohm...is this the issue??

BTW - I am measuring the above voltages with respect to power ground.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry, I edited my previous post after jacco's reply...

I am getting that 625mv across that 2r2 base resistor....

The 2SA1943 (PNP) are on the - drive/-V rail side of outputs, and 2SC5200 (NPN) is on the + drive/+V rail side, of output board just as the schematic shows...

I confirm 600mv on all driver and output transistors.

That is 600mv across Base/Emitter of all driver and output transistors...