• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all,
thinking trough all the projekt and reading all the DacEnd
pages there are still a few questions:

@Quang Hao: To what idss should the sk170 in the salas-reg
be matched for best performance?

@andrea: will there be any changes in performance if one would
use 220R IV-Resistors instead 200R?
Do you suppose a sonically upgrade using the ll1660 transformers
in the dacend?
Would you recommend the lundahl digital input-transformer or
which one?

Greetings Ulf

Hi!
@Quang Hao: To what idss should the sk170 in the salas-reg
be matched for best performance?

unnecessary matche 2sk17

@andrea: will there be any changes in performance if one would
use 220R IV-Resistors instead 200R?

It is ok you can you R 220 Ohm,

Do you suppose a sonically upgrade using the ll1660 transformers
in the dacend?
Yes, If you like that, so you can you digital input-transformer the sample

First things first : a question any boards for full set left ? (been away for awhile)
I haven't read any impression of this implementation vs other AD1865.
For example Adrea did salas regs made some difference in overall performance. I was thinking powering an AD1865 with superegs (or salas) directly, again what are these 431s doing near the chip ?

First things first : a question any boards for full set left ? (been away for awhile)
I was thinking powering an AD1865 with superegs (or salas) directly, again what are these 431s doing near the chip ?
Good question, I myself thought why are they needed, so I presume these:
- for the analog part I could not find a good answer. One could try without them to see if there is any difference
- for the digital part the one that feeds the AD1865 might be good to separate from the digital voltage but a small 47uH coil as Andrea did might be enough as well

I think they are used for the sake of completeness but they could be left out if one dislikes them.

Last edited:
YES! the Salas shunt is very very exelent Power supply for DAC or Or any other pre or phono!!!

We use A little post shunt regulators using the TL431 has been inserted to separate all the power supply like suggested in the datasheet of AD1865 and CS8414. And the sound is better!

***I think they are used for the sake of completeness but they could be left out if one dislikes them***

That which is distinct from the other DAC!:p

You can se in the web: DAC End 2 - the AD1865N-K with single ended vacuum output stage

431s

I haven't read any impression of this implementation vs other AD1865.
For example Adrea did salas regs made some difference in overall performance. I was thinking powering an AD1865 with superegs (or salas) directly, again what are these 431s doing near the chip ?

I have the same question regarding the use of shunt 431. According to Andrea's DAC Final Test page he states:

"The shunt regulator has been eliminated after the first 30 minutes because the sound was horrible using this and all the +5V has been generated from a single LT1085."

comment: the good LT1085 has a wider frequency response similar to LM317, never use 7805.

I would like to know why now are back again.

Last edited:
Some image ! i m doing make it!

Attachments

• DAC1.jpg
    DAC1.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 464
  • IV.jpg
    IV.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 447
  • SALAS.jpg
    SALAS.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 435
Yes! but you can wait me will make more some PCB.
now I only have the numbers you have for me please!
Quanghao

So, we have to wait. Are you gonna take pre orders or wait till the new pcbs arrive ?

If I had my way I'd have these 431s and everything accompanying them taken out of the main board. Maybe an extra board. I know it's kind of fuss, all these extra cables but more freedom is accomplished this way.

Where does one get 220uf OsCons these days!

All from ebay:
8pcs 270uf 16v Sanyo Os-Con SP Radial Capacitors Oscon $9.90
Item number: 280455671051. (SP should be the best ones)

10pcs N-Channel Silicon Transistor 2SK170 K170 BL Japan $3.70
Item number: 130351188411

2Pcs Elna 4700uF 25V 85'c Capacitors $2.50
Item number: 110477272327

For Tube coupling cap
2 SPRAGUE "Q" PIO CAPS. 1uf 300v. A+ BEST SOUND QUALITY
Item number: 130361625985

Jensen 47uf + 47uf 500V Electrolytic Capacitor
Item number: 180413478642

Dale resistors Welborne Labs Homepage

Filter Cap HV power supply

Hi there,

In the HV power supply I understand the benefit of using double unit 47+47uF Jensen on c8 and c9 also C6 has to be good as well.
How about C5? Is it worthy to put Jensen audio cap or a Rubycon or Nippon or Vishay can do the job?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.