• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
all

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 398
General Question

The boards look great !!!!.

When there is a discrepancy between schematic and BOM which should be followed?

for example I/V power supply schematic calls for 2.2 ohm/3W resistors whereas BOM says 0.2 ohm/ 3W. Please don't take this as criticism.

For the I/V stage are C1,C7, R30,R31,R32,R33 needed for this project?
It seems that the resistors are taken care of by the 200 ohm resistors on DAC board.

Thanks

Bob

HV power supply for the Tube stage

Hi Andrea, Quanghao and all members,

I would like to know in your experience if it would be any improvement with using a tube rectifier instead of the solid state diodes in the HV power supply for the E182CC. I can see in the schematic there are caps in parallel to the diodes of the bridge rectifier to suppress switching noise of the diodes. I know the tube rectifier is more gentle with switching the half waves. Please tell me your experience.

Also what would be the result of using tube regulators in place of the 47+47uF capacitor next to the loading resistor of the E182CC.
What is your experience of capacitor vs tube regulator? Is there any rule of thumb about it?

Thanks

Last edited:
apelizzo,
In a my recent experience with the my 845 two stage amplifier I have created a comparison test between the vacumm tubes and the solid stage rectifiers.
A full bridge of 6D22 Svetlana has been compared with a series of 1N5408 diodes (see http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Claudio845/GM70_ps1.gif for detailts).
No difference in the final sound has been detected from my friends.
Only using lower performences vacuum diodes like 5R4 and GM70 connected as diode you can detect a more softened sound but many many details are lost.
So, my idea is that in many cases the vacuum diodes may worsen the sound and it is very difficult that these improve it.
In any case you can make your experince and design a simple vaccum tube for this dac using a 5Y3, a 47+47uF Jensen cap. and a LL1636 20H 100mA choke.

Glow Tubes voltage regulator or Cathode Gas Diode

apelizzo,
In a my recent experience with the my 845 two stage amplifier I have created a comparison test between the vacumm tubes and the solid stage rectifiers.
A full bridge of 6D22 Svetlana has been compared with a series of 1N5408 diodes (see http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Claudio845/GM70_ps1.gif for detailts).
Only using lower performences vacuum diodes like 5R4 and GM70 connected as diode you can detect a more softened sound but many many details are lost.
So, my idea is that in many cases the vacuum diodes may worsen the sound and it is very difficult that these improve it.
In any case you can make your experince and design a simple vaccum tube for this dac using a 5Y3, a 47+47uF Jensen cap. and a LL1636 20H 100mA choke.

Andrea,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciate.
I would like to know also about your experience with Gas tube regulator used as shunt on the plate resistor. They should act as "large capacitor". But what is your experience with these glow tubes instead of electrolytic capacitors for example in a E182cc tube stage like the DAC1865?

Best Regards

Joined 2009
Paid Member
apelizzo,

My experiences in my 4xTDA1541 DAC projekt are quite contrary to yours,

after changing to the 6X4 rectifier with the Tent Lab E-Choke.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.