Interested in ADM7151 regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Analog Devices produces a new regulator ADM7151 (adjustable), ADM7150 (fixed voltages) which has better specifications than TI's TPS7a4700.
Actually as far as I know, this is the best performer today.

I'm planning to make some PCBs to test them with my circuits, using the reference design from the datasheet with a couple minor additions (extra cap, resistor+led for indication). And I was wondering if anybody else is interested in it?

As you already know the more we make, less the cost.

Plus, it comes in SOIC package which is diy-friendly.

Here's the datasheet:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADM7151.pdf

And some features:

Input voltage range: 4.5 V to 16 V
Maximum output current: 800 mA
Adjustable output from 1.5 V to 5.1 V
Low noise
1.0 µV rms total integrated noise from 100 Hz to 100 kHz
1.6 µV rms total integrated noise from 10 Hz to 100 kHz
Noise spectral density: 1.7 nV√Hz from 10 kHz to 1 MHz
Power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) at 400 mA load
>90 dB from 1 kHz to 100 kHz, VOUT = 5 V
>60 dB at 1 MHz, VOUT = 5 V
Dropout voltage: 0.6 V at VOUT = 5 V, 800 mA load
Initial voltage accuracy: ±1%
Voltage accuracy over line, load and temperature: ±2%
Quiescent current (IGND): 4.3 mA at no load
Low shutdown current: 0.1 µA
Stable with a 10 µF ceramic output capacitor
8-lead LFCSP package and 8-lead SOIC package
APPLICATIONS
Regulated power noise sensitive applications
RF mixers, phase-locked loops (PLLs), voltage-controlled
oscillators (VCOs), and PLLs with integrated VCOs
Clock distribution circuits
Ultrasound and other imaging applications
High speed RF transceivers
High speed, 16-bit or greater ADCs
Communications and infrastructure
Cable digital-to-analog converter (DAC) drivers

Last edited:
PCB for ADM7150

Actually I have purchased 10 pcs ADM7150 and is preparing to make PCBs for 117 and 78xx pinout. Since I don't know how to use PCB layout software, I will go to an electronic shop in Shenzhen (China) in the next few days and ask them to do it for me. I am wondering should I use single side or double sides PCB because double sides cost more than 2 times of single side. What is your opinion?

Humidity control for ADM7150

Why is it so straight on humidity control of this component? I never received a package with such warning before.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,663
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,638
I will be using the regulator to drive my DAC that I am using Dexa at this moment. Dexa is excellent but expensive that I would like to try out the differences between Dexa and ADM7150.

The PCB should accomodate the necessary 1uF cermaic and 10uF tantalum through hole capacitors. I don't think I have steady hands to hand solder SMD caps. Do you think it makes a different between through hole and SMD parts? What about making PCBs to accomodate both through hole and SMD parts?

My plan is to use double sided pcb with smd components. I don't think that you can get away with one side only.

With regs it doesn't make a huge difference if it is through hole/smd.
The major advantage is size.

If you make a pcb with through hole & smd, then what is the point?

But I am not planning to use the super tiny smd parts. I think that for example tantalum caps and 1206 resistors and easy to solder.

Yes with SMPS. I want to try three different of those that I have and see the results. One is a standard 5v smps for charging my phone, and the other two are 9 and 6v marked as "audio grade".

The plan is to power a buffalo dac and raspberry pi. When Russ White's cap is ready I'm going to switch to that.

I'm going to send today the gerbers for manufacture, I will have them back in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.