Dx Supply, output adjustable, stabilized power supply - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2013, 09:54 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Home made pcboard now painted using nail polish

To fix failures...now it will go to the acid.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dx Supply ZZ (2).JPG (660.1 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Dx Supply ZZ (1).JPG (676.7 KB, 712 views)
Old 20th January 2013, 12:31 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vargasmongo3435
Look nice Carlos!, how many ounces of copper?

Regards
Juan
Old 20th January 2013, 01:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default I do not know.

Não sei quantas onças...ahahahahah!

I do not know how many onces... ahahahahah!

Here you have a complementary video..while doing.

I am still doing, the Dx Supply home boards - YouTube

Picture is onça... this is a brazilian panther

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Onça pintada.jpg (292.8 KB, 638 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 20th January 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 01:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vargasmongo3435
dude! scary, why you bring the Jaguar !!! jejejejeejeje "I think is protection" jejejejejeje beautiful animal

Regards
Juan
Old 20th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default When you pronunciate ounce, you are speaking the portuguese name for Jaguar

It is onça.... pronouciation is alike ounce.

here you have video part 4... etching.

Dx Supply etching, making of part 3.mp4 - YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 21st January 2013, 08:26 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Today i was busy at work and i had not time to continue

To assemble the Dx Supply.

Maybe tomorrow.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000258.jpg (368.3 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg P1000252.jpg (515.3 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg P1000257a.jpg (327.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:50 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Something more about power into the Dx Supply

Each case will be studied here:

Dx Supply was made for our friends to save money because electrolitic condensers are very expensive.... It also provides yout stable output voltage and this helps you to achieve the low levels of distortion published.

It was made to receive maximum of 60 plus 60 volts DC and this comes from a 42 plus 42 volts alternated transformer... the maximum power to be drained, under these voltages, is 180 plus 180 watts, and this represents 360 total watts.

So, it was made for you to adjust 42 plus 42 volts into the output...this is the correct voltage to feed the Dx Super A amplifier.

Observe Dx Super A power specifications (42 plus 42 volts), results from the simulator with the supply voltage stable (regulated, stabilized at 42+42)

- 85 Watts RMS at 8 ohms, THD 0.001%, 1.5A plus 1.5A of current drain, that represents a power consumption of 63 watts plus 63 watts (63 watts per rail) and the total of 126W (efficiency is around 67% to 8 ohms).... rail fuses should be slow blow, 1.5A plus 1.5A or a little bit more if you like to enter clipping... speaker series fuse is 3A or a little bit more if you intend to enter clipping.

- 160 Watts RMS at 4 ohms, THD 0.002%, with 3A plus 3A of current drain, that represents a power consumption of 126 + 126W, or total of 254W... rails fuses should be 3A or more, all them slow blow... speaker fuse 6A or more...also slow blow.

- 250 Watts RMS at 2 ohms, THD 0.005%, with 5A + 5A of current drain, that represents a power consumption of 210 + 210W, or a total of 420 Watts of total power consumption.... 5A plus 5A slow blow fuses to the rails and 10A series fuse in series with the speakers (slow blow)

But, if you accept some distortion (we all accept..if we do not accept, the amplifier clips anyway and sometimes we do not perceive so fast it is)...then it can go to:

290 Watts RMS - 2 ohms - 1 percent distortion
330 Watts RMS - 2 ohms - 5 percent distortion
360 Watts RMS - 2 ohms - 10 percent distortion

10% distortion is not that crazy as you think, because some manufacturers (respectable ones) publish integrated circuit distortion at this level of distortion to increase the numbers...watch manufacturer datasheedt about them.

360 Watts RMS is the worst case scenario.... where the supply will face the maximum consumption resulted from the Dx Super A operation at 2 ohms and with 10 percent of distortion... here the current drain goes to 6.3A each rail ... and the consumption is 530 watts to a single channel.

The Dx Supply is good to feed two channels operating simultaneously, at 8 ohms and full power.

The Dx Supply can to feed one channel if you operate at 4 ohms, so, under this sittuation you will need two supplies, one to each channel.

The Dx Supply will need an extra pair of transistors to operate safe if you feed one channel at 2 ohms and drive it to full power (distorted)... you should check your rectifier rating and electrolitic condenser values because the supply was made, mainly, to feed two channels at 8 ohms.... two pair of transistors was the choice to save money into this supply.... so... you gonna need to tweak if you decide to push the limits into 2 ohms loads.... one of the main need is the extra pair of series power transistor...so... as a result, you gonna have three ouput pairs.

The dissipation into these series pass transistors....

... the ones are in the Dx Supply, made to be used together the Dx Super A audio power amplifier.

We gonna have, as the worst case scenario, (when transformer have no voltage... but this is almost impossible....but for safety reasons we take this into our calculations) a voltage drop of 18 volts (60 to 42C) into the series pass transistors, so, multiply this voltage drop by the rail current (that gonna depend your case/choice)... then you will have the power developed into the series pass transistor colector to emitter junctions (input to output of the series pass regulator transistors)

As an example, to clarify the subject, if you have TWO Dx Super A channels, driving 8 ohms loads, operating full power (undistorted), draining energy from a single Dx Supply, will result in 54 plus 54 Watts of power dissipation.... in real world this use to be much less, because we have voltage drop into the Dx Supply input, so, voltage drop from colector to emitter being reduces will reduce the result of the multiplication of current by the voltage that results in the power.

regards,

Carlos
Old 22nd January 2013, 05:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default I am busy at work and at my job.

I could not assemble the Dx Supply to test the pcboard layout

Dx Supply part 3 - I am busy both at home and job - YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 1st February 2013, 11:42 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default I am assembling the Dx Supply using home etched pcboards

Resulted not that good (etching process no good) but i am fixing errors and assembling anyway.

I am waiting new condensers that gonna arrive from USA, a gift from Evette/Dudainc..... a box with 40 units of 4700uf/63 volts will arrive and will substitute the temporary ones i am using (old ones and smaller ones)

This is being made to be used together the Dx Super A triple, one channel for bass having a low pass filter and two channels without any input filtering...just potenciometer in the input...all clear of troubles and pre amplifiers that can mess with the audio reproduction.

Here you have a picture...i am doing it slowly, as i am waiting for new pcboards from the Dx Super A, transistors from Evette (Canadá) and pcboards from Juan Vargas (Puerto Rico)

Here you have Dx Super A thread:

Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000518.jpg (433.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:00 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default I am using one of these two supplies you see in the last post

I am trying the Dx Supply once again, this time i have installed 25.000 plus 25.000uf, the amplifier is operating with 38 Volts, the supply voltage unloaded is 44 volts...loading it drops to 40 volts and keeps the output voltage stable...highly filtered as i tortured with 1 hertz and no noise from the supply, totally and absolutelly silent even when we drain high currents.

Speaker is using 4 ohms coil (it is dual coil) and i have pushed almost 100 watts RMS... due to 6 volts of voltage drop into the series pass transistors (from colector to emitter) i am having some heat into my test small heatsinks.... but when draining high current the voltage drop into series pass transistor is only 2.3 volts...this way heat is not that big.

Circuit is Dx Super A operating with one single pair in the output and i cannot push it hard because of that.... 100 watts only a few seconds.

As you can see, i have simplified the supply to enjoy it's power while i am waiting more transistors, pcboards and electrolitic condensers.

Just to be listening the Dx Super A and to have fun.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000520.jpg (658.4 KB, 292 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!