Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2012, 01:56 AM   #1661
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Lots of downloads of the PDF file but almost no feedback on that, either. Sigh.
Old 16th December 2012, 12:21 AM   #1662
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Tom, I'll happily use your tools when time is due.

ATM I'm too busy with my new toy, a network analyzer, which allows to delve in deeply into our beloved PSU/decoupling/wiring etc topics on real grounds. For a first teaser, look here (and subsequent posts).... more to come here soon in the PSU forum, for sure.

Last edited by KSTR; 16th December 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 16th December 2012, 01:49 AM   #1663
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR View Post
Tom, I'll happily use your tools when time is due.

ATM I'm too busy with my new toy, a network analyzer, which allows to delve in deeply into our beloved PSU/decoupling/wiring etc topics on real grounds. For a first teaser, look here (and subsequent posts).... more to come here soon in the PSU forum, for sure.
Wow. Congratulations, Klaus. What are the make and model of your network analyzer?
Old 16th December 2012, 10:37 AM   #1664
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Wandel & Goltermann SNA-2, built around 1989, absolute mint condition (looks like new, really) with all documentation, only self-calibration of absolute level fails by a dB occasionally which is rather unimportant. It is said to be one of the best network/spectrum analysers of that time but having been very high $ products W&G never made it against the fierce competition from HP on the worldwide market, and sadly stopped production of their range of analysers end of the nineties....
Old 16th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #1665
diyAudio Member

Very, very nice! And I am sure that you will make the best use of it.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:42 PM   #1666
diyAudio Member

Default New speadsheet, v0.992, with MEASURE button for plot

I found an easy way to add a MEASURE function to the plot! So decided I should post the new version.

Now, you can do a mouse-drag on the plot and MEASURE things, like amplitude and time interval. You can zoom-in, first, as much as you want.

A message box pops up, after you release the mouse button, and gives the ymax, ymin, Delta y, xmax, xmin, and Delta X, for the rectangle you made with the mouse, which can be anywhere in the plot area.

It seems quite useful!

I also found the real name of the author of the original plot-zoom code, Jason Vint, and included it in the header, in the code itself.

I also found his zoom-module code for Excel 2000-2003. So I will try posting a special version, for that, a little later, so that maybe the folks with Excel 2003 can have the mouse-zoom capabilities. The 2007 version (v0.992) is attached, in a zipped folder. A screen image is also attached. Notice the new MEASURE button, just above the plot.

Cheers,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v0.992scrn.jpg (401.5 KB, 326 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Power Supply and Transformer Analysis v0.992_xlsm_2007.zip (954.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 16th December 2012, 06:49 PM   #1667
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

You are becoming quite an expert in using/programming MS Excel.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:00 PM   #1668
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
You are becoming quite an expert in using/programming MS Excel.
Thanks. But so far it's like I only know one path through a forest, and have no idea about the rest of it, nor do I know much about any of the trees or other items that I pass, on that path.

But this has been a very interesting and satisfying learning experience, for me. I have always wanted to be able to write VBA macros in Excel, and now I can, sort of.

I have found that I seem to learn best when I am well-motivated by a project goal that requires it.

The speadsheet doesn't really do much and what it does do is not extremely important in the grand scheme of things, and could be done with LT-Spice anyway. But it was a good way for me to get my feet wet and maybe as a specialized tool it will be useful to someone. Including the scalable transformer model makes it somewhat more useful.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:15 PM   #1669
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
The speadsheet doesn't really do much and what it does do is not extremely important in the grand scheme of things, and could be done with LT-Spice anyway. But it was a good way for me to get my feet wet and maybe as a specialized tool it will be useful to someone. Including the scalable transformer model makes it somewhat more useful.
I beg to differ -- yes, I plead laziness, or more accurately, buggeredness (is that a word ... ?), I still haven't played with the thing because too many other things are swirling around, sorry!! But, such a tool can be extremely powerful if fully developed, because for a lot of people it is the ideal way to get real answers; LTspice is a step too far, having to understand all its ins and outs.

There is no reason why the spreadsheet can't be ultimately fully enhanced to make it a complete, fill in the blanks method, way of getting a power supply to be exactly the way you want it ...

Cheers,
Frank
Old 16th December 2012, 11:59 PM   #1670
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
I beg to differ -- yes, I plead laziness, or more accurately, buggeredness (is that a word ... ?), I still haven't played with the thing because too many other things are swirling around, sorry!! But, such a tool can be extremely powerful if fully developed, because for a lot of people it is the ideal way to get real answers; LTspice is a step too far, having to understand all its ins and outs.

There is no reason why the spreadsheet can't be ultimately fully enhanced to make it a complete, fill in the blanks method, way of getting a power supply to be exactly the way you want it ...

Cheers,
Frank
Yeah. It's probably already there, unless I missed something. (Well, it is still only geared to the worst-case load. But it can probably be fooled into doing whatever you want.)

I think that you made a very good point, Frank, which is another one of the reasons I had for pursuing the development of the spreadsheet, and that is that most people just don't want to tackle LT-Spice, especially at the drop of a hat, or for just one seldom-used app (and most never will). But a fill-in-the-blanks Excel sheet is a whole different story; much easier to imagine using, for the non-Spicy people. And many people already have Excel installed.

P.S. Buggeredness? I didn't know you were into THAT. <grin> See: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1262&bih=829

OK, well, at least it has other meanings, too: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1262&bih=829

Last edited by gootee; 17th December 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!