The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Current setup

I do measurements to setup the current:

Right channel
Vin 57,3 V with phono riaa loaded
VR1 1,6 V with 15R / same voltage with 22R

Left channel
Vin 56,9 V with phono riaa loaded
VR1 1,8 V with 15R / same voltage with 22R

Why these difference of voltages between channels?

To get the desired 200mA current I have to reduce the R1 value, so If voltage VR don't change more for Right channel I need 8R & for Left channel I need 9R, that's right?

Hi Salas

Read a bit from the start. Its been explained many times. Rule of thumb for the 3 leds ccs schematics I=2.2V/Rset very roughly.

Thanks for the rough guide formula
I found something similar from the Simplistic HV regulator

"Keep the constant current source running at least on double the mA that your application circuit needs in steady state. Triple is nicer.
Its all a matter of how big a heat sink you can use. The current used by your audio circuit is not heating the PSU shunt Mosfet. It heats at its most (Vout*CcsIma) when unloaded. The upper Mosfet can hold up to 200V Vin-Vreg. 50V difference is OK to run at its smoothest though, nobody wants to discard more just heating up the P-Mosfet. It heats for Vdif*IccsmA. It can stabilize with just 10V Vdif non the less, but it will be compromised somewhat for transients. R1 sets the CCS current, Iccs=(Vleds-VgsQ1)/R1.
The reg voltage reference is made up by a Wilson (ring of two) CCS feeding a bypassed resistor voltage drop. You can use a fixed R5 or the +trimmer arrangement for a variable shunt. Be careful there not to go beyond 200V Vin-Vout, if you like your nice P-Mosfet alive.
Great performance in practice, tried to keep em practical with easy to source components. 2N6520 is a -350V PNP and KSP94 is an alternative -400V PNP for the higher voltage shunt, as 2SA1625 is. That is if you wanna go to that 360V mark or go to a higher range. The IRF840 works up to 500V.

Regards

Salas "

This serve to explain?

Audiohifi

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Remote Sensing for several regulators

Help, how is the schematic of Remote Sensing for:

-Buffalo II DAC: +5VDC ~350mA, could use Quangao schematic but don't have Rs & I don't know how many current have.
-Metronome ASRC: +7,5VDC, I don't know the current needed
-IVY III I/V+Filter: +-15VDC rails ~150mA, really idle draws 90mA per rail.
-Borbely I/V+Filter: +-24VDC rails ~100mA

Initially I want to use mine Hypnotizes but after hear Rs in the Salas Simplistic low voltage shunt regulator wih the Salas Phono RIAA I changed & now I prefer to do mine own P2P PCB with Rs if somebody tell me how can do.

N.B. Now I'm using the reg. without the Rs cap.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 4 wires configuration can be implemented exactly as you did in your point 2 point regulator even on boards if you cut traces accordingly. All those Hypno boards are V1.0 same thing, same take off points can be created. Did you get appreciable improvement for the phono regs over 200mA by the way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.