Martin Logan SL3 crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2011, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Martin Logan SL3 crossover

Hi all!

I'm looking for a crossover diagram of the original passive x-over of the Martin Logan SL3!
Wireing diagram and parts values if possible.
Anyone?

Thanks a lot!
Martin
Old 12th June 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I just found this a few weeks ago at the ML Owners' forum. It's not the early model SL3, but the later version. Hope it helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sl3 crossover schematic.PDF (8.7 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by Andersonix; 12th June 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Andersonix!

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!

Regards,
Martin
Old 13th June 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

The best thing to do to the SL3 is to put the Ascent i crossover in,the SL3 has all the same parts you need 2 caps,this sounds much better, It takes the Cap an put it in front of the res.In the sl3 set up the res are frist so there hit with fullrang an thay ring,move them behind the cap like thay did an no lows hit the res there for no ringing.
I have done this to my MLSL3 an sound is much better you can get the Ascent crossover at MLfan club,i have other mods for the SL3 also goodluck
Old 16th June 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I wonder what the heck TYU was saying, frankly I was thinking of selling these speakers but if there is a way to get better bass out of these I might try. I have had tremendous luck upgrading caps and resistors on cone type speakers so maybe it's time to try to upgrade these units, if anyone has any practical information please post it, Thanks much, Rob
Old 17th June 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default tyu

look the SL3 Crossover,

Two mods,
Take the Coil out of The cen.tap,there using only 1/2 the Tranfourmer,put nothing on the cen.tap,you can see the coils is on the neg.input, it a wire!It turns off 1/2,

Next i Get rid of the What i call the Limiter, Mr Powers called it a ML-dce
It a Diode bridg an mofet setup that rides the panel input,an as the input gos up it take power off the panel.I have used this Dce on fullrang ESL like Soundlab an Acoustats An can sound great,$10 you can diy,funny sounds just like a tube-fet can sound good if you have 1kwatts you wont to pump in the the SL3s Most dont
Eats output out of the panel,to get better bass you got to get the panel right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sl3+passive+crossover[2].pdf (8.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 17th June 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Acsent i crossover

This Is the best thing to do with the SL3,same panel as the Ascent,an i.

I have had 5pr of the ML Aerius i,two pr of SL3 one with the Limiter one with out,Requst had the limiter,CLS,II,Thay can be fine speakers but like most just a littel work to get the best out of them,Best Mid on the Aerius
but i am geting better out of the SL3 today,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ascent crossover schematic[1].pdf (10.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 19th June 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Next i Get rid of the What i call the Limiter, Mr Powers called it a ML-dce.
It a Diode bridg an mofet setup that rides the panel input,an as the input gos up it take power off the panel.I have used this Dce on fullrang ESL like Soundlab an Acoustats An can sound great,$10 you can diy
Hello tyu,

Very interesting that Martin Logan makes use of a limiter without advertising it like QUAD does.
Perhaps it is similar to the early versions of the QUAD ESL63 limiter but using a MOSFET instead of BJT power transistor.

You mention it could be DIY'd for about $10.
Can you post a schematic with part numbers or a close up picture of the limiter PC board?

Hmmmmm...I wonder if the MOSFET board ticknpop mentioned in his CLX mod thread is actually a limiter board rather than an audio-detect switch like he had thought.
Martin logan CLX mods

Last edited by bolserst; 19th June 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

5. The Fet turn on board (the lower PC board with heat sinks) has 4 of 0.33 uf/ 250 volt caps on it bypassing the IRF 640 Power fets - Replace with MIT PPFXS 0.33 uf.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

From CLX post

5. The Fet turn on board (the lower PC board with heat sinks) has 4 of 0.33 uf/ 250 volt caps on it bypassing the IRF 640 Power fets - Replace with MIT PPFXS 0.33 uf.

This is Not A TURN ON Setup!

The Quad setup,I think turn off the panels if the amp clips.
This Dose Not!

What This Dose Is Takes the AC an the DC if the Amp clips, AN the Fets Get HOT not the Tranfourmer,vary cool right,Mr Jim Powers Sead there were people Driving there speaker hard with amp like the Krell 600 mono amps That could put out 2k watts an this help not over drive the Tranfourmers.

Mr Powers an ML NEVER CALLED THIS A LIMITER! i did, i well get a pix

Mr Jim Powers Is not with us Anymore,good man gave me a lot of info
thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!