Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2010, 01:08 AM   #31
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

I found that program for free. I am not sure if it works w/vista. I just did a google search, cad 7.0 showed as free download after looking around. If there is a better version, sometimes older is better as we can compare results. I need to keep reading before I say anything more, i guess i might be too ambitious on this and like you said, "take your time." Have another long day at work, but thanks for everyone here, i guess thats why friends call me mavric.
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:17 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

They had the price but no shipping cost, I have had a long day and will check again. Have you had any luck on finding the step up transformers for the esls? and if so , what is the cost. its not even febuary and I am still anxious, but patient.
gonna take my camera to try and take some pics of the rhino, not looking good, but what the heck.
Old 29th January 2010, 02:08 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

kindly check my last post marked as trannys. some good info. and cheap. still working on this project. but hpoefully found a solution to the stators, 2 months ago, I did know what a stator was, of step up transformer, the list goes on and on. Now i know, basic pricapals, so far its a hundred bucks worth of coil, and patience. I really think rhino or even lineX would be a great insulater for panels.
Thank you everyone here, espcially Charlie, I would have shut down this a long time ago. So i look forward, never behind, looking back puts where you were before, you started look forward. sounds stupid, i know. I am looking forward.
Old 1st February 2010, 06:15 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

keep pushin on you won't be sorry,mavric!after researching and reading for quite a long time i had finaly got the courage to build my first prototype within a week or two and within a couple of months after a few trial and error versions i had come up with some thing that worked very well and was so impressed and proud of that even though there is always room for improvement threr didn't seem to be any reason to change the design.right off the bat they sounded excelent.at the time i had no job and spent $200 in trying different materials and my final 10"x22" panels cost less than $20! nothing could be more rewarding than that after waiting years of yurning to build a set. in 99 there wasn't that many diy'ers by the time i did it in 03.get my drift?so keep pushin on! jer
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:34 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

thaks very much for the support. On the other post i mentioned the list goes on, now i have or really need an electronic cross over for the stats, active and variable, my adcoms are only stable down to 4 ohm, so 500hz 24 db shut off is what i am looking for, any seller please PM me. otherwise, ebay is it.
Untill, i get everything together, i will try and post in the right places, have not been on this site long, so still learning. thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:15 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

check out elliot sound products web site he also supplys boards i think if you dont want to make them yourself also linkwitz labs and sds labs .lots of great info on active crossovers there.if any more comes to mind that are in the states i will post them too.jer
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:28 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

wow, such a fast responce! Charlie and I are going to make our own, i hope, trying to save $$, just a punch board and schematics, compare it to what he allready haves in his possesion, just make a copy.
I have not spoken with him, it is the resistors that are in question. trust me, i am patient. I am 32 going 33 , done car audio/ some home theatre, for 18 yrs. NO i am not by anyway saying that I know more, I understand the fact this is something new, to me.. very fascinating, i love a challenge and as i said, "i cannot wait to post results"
thanks again friend. Nathan
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:52 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

making boards is very easy using a laser printer or copier.but what problems are having considering the resistors?
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:13 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Thats what Charlie said, the resisters that were on the schematic didnt make sence, the rating on power handling was very questionable. I am not an engineer, i can read a schematic, Charlie on the other hand puts me to shame. but since he lives 30min. from my house, it is a good feeling that i will have the opportunity to make my or our own with his guidence and support. thanks for the reply, resisters are noted as an issue.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:51 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Charlie, this one is for you my friend and to everyone on my insparation. hope the pics work this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1180016.jpg (145.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg P1180015.jpg (101.6 KB, 223 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!