M-Audio Audiophile 192 & Windows 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using this card for quite a few years now, and I've started running into some major issues with the stability of the drivers. I have another audio card I use for multimedia and gaming, but the Audiophile is what I use to drive my big speakers (through a 150W receiver)

Here's the (current) hardware setup:
ASRock z77 Extreme6/TB4
i7-3770k
32GB 1600mhz DDR3
2x EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192
ASUS Xonar DX (running UNi Drivers)

Here's a little history of the symptoms:

WinXP: no issues

Win7 x64: When putting system to sleep and waking back up, or in some circumstances when quitting out of a game or program that intensively used the card, the audio will stop completely. No volume indicator in the Sound Mixer, no audio comes out. Disabling and re-enabling the card fixes the issue so not a major problem. Was using 6.02 drivers

Win8 x64: Same as above

Win8 x64 after adding 2nd GFX card and moving the Audiophile from PCI2 to PCI1: Drivers install correctly, audio tests out fine, run a program and at some point the audio will loop a 2-5ms wave basically making a klaxon like sound until the driver is disabled. When driver is re-enabled, once any sound is played, the same thing happens. Only solution is to completely uninstall and delete the drivers, and re-install. I get almost identical behavior from 6.02, 6.08, and the old WinXP 5.14 drivers (though the WinXP ones are more stable). A further symptom is that when putting the system to sleep, it hangs, never goes to sleep, and eventually powers OFF, requiring a full reboot.

Now I realize M-Audio has given the big middle finger to their Delta customers, and no drivers are officially supported for Win8 on their cards, but this was one of the best low-latency cards I've ever owned, and I'm loathe to give it up until they stop making motherboards with PCI. There's also a community that built "fixed" drivers for Xonar cards, why not for Delta?

I would really like some help either getting the drivers I have stable, or maybe drum up some interest in making a fixed driver for Delta cards. Even if I only got ASIO support any nothing else, that'd be fine by me

Sounds like a conflict (IRQ).

Sound cards , Video , and ethernet should have separate IRQ's
or just share with a USB host controller.

Change slots.

Look (below) , only my ethernet is sharing with a USB.
Sound and Video have a single dedicated # IRQ.

Computer > properties >device manager > view > resource by connection >
IRQ.

OS

Attachments

• IRQ.jpg
    IRQ.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 498
Sounds like a conflict (IRQ).

Sound cards , Video , and ethernet should have separate IRQ's
or just share with a USB host controller.

Change slots.

Look (below) , only my ethernet is sharing with a USB.
Sound and Video have a single dedicated # IRQ.

Computer > properties >device manager > view > resource by connection >
IRQ.

OS

It looks like that PCI slot was sharing with the Firewire controller on my board, I disabled the firewire port, and I'll cross my fingers that brings me back to only having to disable and re-enable my audio once in a while

Attachments

• OHCI.PNG
    OHCI.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 452
Win8 x64 after adding 2nd GFX card and moving the Audiophile from PCI2 to PCI1: Drivers install correctly, audio tests out fine, run a program and at some point the audio will loop a 2-5ms wave basically making a klaxon like sound until the driver is disabled. When driver is re-enabled, once any sound is played, the same thing happens. Only solution is to completely uninstall and delete the drivers, and re-install. I get almost identical behavior from 6.02, 6.08, and the old WinXP 5.14 drivers (though the WinXP ones are more stable). A further symptom is that when putting the system to sleep, it hangs, never goes to sleep, and eventually powers OFF, requiring a full reboot.

Already years ago (AP192 was on the markets already) there was this type issues with some PCI based cards on SLI setups. I can't recall if it was ever properly solved (search Creative forums as for an example). It's possible that you can't get AP192 working properly in your setup with those 2 GPU's ....
Have you checked if your system Power profile is culprit for that sleep problem?

Check the system: Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks
If possible, try different PCI latency timers (through BIOS or using some suitable tool (for XP there were PCI Latency Tool)).

Last edited:
Already years ago (AP192 was on the markets already) there was this type issues with some PCI based cards on SLI setups. I can't recall if it was ever properly solved (search Creative forums as for an example). It's possible that you can't get AP192 working properly in your setup with those 2 GPU's ....
Have you checked if your system Power profile is culprit for that sleep problem?

Check the system: Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks
If possible, try different PCI latency timers (through BIOS or using some suitable tool (for XP there were PCI Latency Tool)).

I'll try to do some research on PCI / SLI compatibility to see if that will help me narrow it down.

Also yes I'm 100% sure it's not the power profile causing the sleep issue. It only happens when the AP192 driver is installed, and does not happen once drivers are uninstalled. I'm about to test it now that the 1392 controller is disabled per ostripper's suggestion about IRQ conflicts.

Post sleep/wake test result:

Still experiencing the power issue, but the driver didn't corrupt after that happened this time! I'll test it for a few more days, but it's looking like the IRQ conflict was the cause of the driver malfunction. Now I'll have to debug the power stuff

I lost the use of the same sound card with the death of my old XP machine. I resurrected it today oddly enough with an old recycled pentium pc and my first try with Linux. It sounds better than it did with windows into the bargain

Could you consider a second pc just for playback?

Unfortunately no, I use it for engineering and production in FL Studio, so Linux is out, and I need the raw processing power. I suppose I could build a whole new production machine, but that's an expensive undertaking and would be better served with a newer interface I think.

Also, since disabling the 1394 controller, I've had not a single instance of the audio drivers becoming corrupted. My only remaining issue is the sleep/power problem, which I can live with tbh, but would like to fix for power bill reasons

Last edited:
As I see you are still having issues ....
Z77 chipset has no native PCI support. They use a bridge
to the PCI-E bus. new motherboards:no pci native support and possible problems | Hardware Heaven Forums

My "new" MB is a older AMD with 3 PCI/4 PCI-E .AMD south bridge has
a dedicated PCI controller. Newer Intel's are best ALL PCI-E. They
want you to get rid of all that "legacy" hardware.

There might be NO fix for this issue.
The M-audio might just be incompatible with the bridge - it might need a real
native controller.
OS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.