Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim

Thanks for a great new version. But I don't get the Tidal part, I have entered my login but then what?? - before I was using bubbleupnp at my Nas and Lumins Ipad app. But how does this work?

all best aboe

Hi,

AFAIK in BubbleUPNP you need to set the renderer to "Moode UPNP" and the library to "Moode UPNP-mediaserver", then the music service (Tidal, etc) folders should show up.

-Tim

Thank's jonner,

than i got no luck:

pi@moode:~ $ cat ./mosbuild.log | grep "^// \|^\*\* "
** Tue 30 Jan 18:12:11 UTC 2018
// STEP 2 - Direct build so no need to expand Root partition
** Change password for user pi to moodeaudio
** Download latest moOde release
** Unzip release
** Install boot/config.txt
** Reboot 1
** Tue 30 Jan 18:12:41 UTC 2018
// STEP 3A - Install core packages
** Basic optimizations
** No proxy configured
** Update Raspbian package list
** Upgrading Raspbian installed packages to latest available
** Reboot 2
** Tue 30 Jan 18:28:27 UTC 2018
// STEP 3B - Install core packages
** Install core packages
** Tue 30 Jan 18:30:13 UTC 2018
// STEP 3B - Install core packages
** Install core packages
** Error: should never arrive at case = *
** Error: should never arrive at case = *

Hi,

Very odd.

Zip up /home/pi/mosbuild.log and email it to me. I'll have a look.

-Tim

Tim, thank you for da MOODE 4.0!!!
:worship:
I just did the build now enjoying my upgraded toy.

I am a noob with regards to building an image. Literally my first time. So it took me some time to research, and some trial and error. For people like me, I think it's important to have a happy path guide at least for a sample configuration. I know others have different scenario (like booting via USB, no ethernet link, etc).

Anyway for my scenario:
I have ethernet connection, I have USB keyboard (temporary for install/build process only), 7" display:

1. Download Raspbian Stretch image
  2. Flash the image into SD card using USB Image Tool
  3. Connect RPI to ethernet
  4. Attach keyboard
  5. Put SD card in RPI
  6. Power up RPI
  7. Important: so I can monitor from another computer, I need to enable SSH. Because for some reason rasbian has turned off the access by default.
  8. sudo raspi-config
  9. navigate menu to enable SSH
Then at this point, follow the commands listed in moodeaudio.org
It will then prompt to power-off. Note that RPI will not power-on by default, so you'll have to power RPI back on manually (unplug-replug power cable).
Just like what others have shown already. From another computer, you can monitor the progress by mosbrief command. Here's what's needed.
  • I first have to look into my router on what IP address the RPI was assigned
  • Use Putty.exe (or other programs) to connect to the RPI (ip address)
  • run SSH shell and login. Note: when the build has started, the password is changed to moodeaudio. Login name is still pi
  • When logged in, just keep typing mosbrief from time to time.
At this point, I watched movie from netflix. When the movie is done, so is my Moode 4.0!:D

y6QBqmR.jpg

Agreed about the SQ improvement, I now prefer this to 3.7 with the RT kernel.

Yes, I feel that it is considerably better than the older versions with the custom kernels.

Even with the previous RT kernel some complex events could be a tad harsh and 'shouty'

I felt it was my systems failing until this latest MoOde release where that artefact is now thankfully missing :) replaced by a smooth and detailed presentation that stays coherent during sustained and involving passages.

I'm noticing the improvement too in another player that has recently upgraded it's MPD version (an x86 player not rpi)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I feel that it is considerably better than the older versions with the custom kernels.

Even with the previous RT kernel some complex events could be a tad harsh and 'shouty'

I felt it was my systems failing until this latest MoOde release where that artefact is now thankfully missing :) replaced by a smooth and detailed presentation that stays coherent during sustained and involving passages.

I'm noticing the improvement too in another player that has recently upgraded it's MPD version (an x86 player not rpi)

Sound quality improvement over Beta12?

Yup, same here. I'm sure I formatted the SD card, and cleared my browser cache though.

I was following the recipe "Build Recipe v2.3, 2018-01-26" included in the "rel-stretch-r40.zip" which contains error, nearly also installed the beta12 version.

There are lines containing the link "http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/beta/rel-stretch-r40b12.zip" to the beta instead of the release.
The correct path is http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/prod/rel-stretch-r40.zip

I was following the recipe "Build Recipe v2.3, 2018-01-26" included in the "rel-stretch-r40.zip" which contains error, nearly also installed the beta12 version.

There are lines containing the link "http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/beta/rel-stretch-r40b12.zip" to the beta instead of the release.
The correct path is http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/prod/rel-stretch-r40.zip

I had the same problem even after Tim said he had fixed the recipe. I did a fresh download (several times) and it still referred to beta12 in the build recipe 2.3.

I gave up and used the automated build without issue.

Hi Tim

Thanks for a great new version. But I don't get the Tidal part, I have entered my login but then what?? - before I was using bubbleupnp at my Nas and Lumins Ipad app. But how does this work?

all best aboe

Hi, aboe

As Tim implied in his response, you still have to use a UPnP Control Point app. I happen use BubbleUPnP too. You have to tell it to use Moode UPnP [1] as the UPnP Renderer and Moode UPnP-mediaserver [1] as the UPnP Media Server (which BubbleUPnP confusingly calls Library). This arrangement has been working great for me with Tidal and Google Play Music since Tim added the feature.

Regards,
Kent

[1] or whatever you changed the names to when you set up UPnP.

Lovely photo. I have been trying to add an image to MoOde. I select an image from my desktop and hit update. So far this has not worked for me. Would mind coming to the rescue. ;)

I had to resize my image ;)...it was too big and too big a file size.

It worked at 2580x1504 pixels and 296.4 kB. but that was a random resize and I think the file size was the most important parameter.

probably similar to album art (under 500kB ? does that sound right ?)

Kent is correct about reducing the alpha blend..about .35 is good, and once you update then refresh your browser page..

@ TheOldPresbyope
And I agree, the photo was quite lovely.

Thanks Kent, it was quite magical from the dining room window at breakfast...grabbed the camera and let the breakfast go cold.

Last edited: