Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello friends, I`m satisfied with Moode 3.7, but very excited to try Moode 4.
What is the easiest and quiest way to do it without strugling with linux ? I know what ssh is and have already tried update from moode 3.7 with no success. Tried with steps on moodeaudio page at very bottom and mosbuild too.
Tim, are you planning to make some final image after beta testing ? I would rather wait. I think not many of audio-positive guys are good at linux :-(

I've been unable to get to step 2 in mosbuild. I get to the end of phase 1 where I have a choice between saving the base OS img for additional builds or not. I've tried choosing y and n. I do see "New base OS image created" on the terminal screen followed by
"** Remove the USB drive and use it to boot a Raspberry Pi
** The build will automatically continue at STEP 2 after boot."

I've tried rebooting from the micro sd card in the pi and booting from the flash drive after configuring the pi to boot from a flash drive. So far I've been unable to get to the next portion of the script that begins at line 447 with "main banner". I'm assuming I'm not following the directions correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.
You cannot see the banner on screen ... you have to look at log file via this command :

tail -f /home/pi/mosbuild.log

Are you sure that the 8gb SD card is enough? It says there's not enough space.

Attachments

• 2017-12-09_220025.jpg
    2017-12-09_220025.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 330
The Risk of Default Passwords

And yes, I already change the passwords on my PI's. I just think it would be easier to do from the build script *and* it might remind others to do the same

Sure, but it’s all relative. For someone to get into your Pi, a whole lot of things have to happen, not least of which is breaking through your router and firewall, possibly breaking into your wifi network and the likelihood of that is extremely low for casual intrusion.

As someone that regularly performs intrusion testing, the first question is always ‘why?’ What have you got that makes it worth the many, many days of effort to break in? I hope you don’t have a file called ‘passwords’ or ‘bank’? I’m constantly amazed at the number of people that do.

The article you linked is long on panic-inducing hyperbole, short on details.

Your biggest risk is from a Trojan you invite in. Your second biggest risk is from you giving someone access via social engineering.

If your system is secured to the level that you’ve run out of other stuff to do and all you have left is to worry about the security of your Pi, knock yourself out.
I
Just last week I changed the logins of their main system router and the ssid of the main post office public wifi to ‘changeyourpassword’ - pure incompetence when they have an open wifi network in a government department. I hope they got the message. I’m going back today, I’ll check.

I have a quite big playlist in random mode (about 10000 tracks), so when I'm using a 'slow' device like iPad2, it is a bit slow. I don't know if other people have the same behavior.

Hi,

Turn on Auto-shuffle in Audio config. Read the (i) help for it so u have an understanding of how it works.

Then press the Random play button on the Playback panel. The Consume button should also light up.

Auto-shuffle will add a single randomly chosen track to the Playlist. When the track finishes it will be removed and another one added. Thus, the Playlist never grows :)

-Tim

I see "tail: cannot open '/home/pi/mosbuild.log' for reading: No such file or directory tail: no files remaining" I'll try downloading and running the script again and looking before I reboot.

I've tried running the script a few more times. I've rebooted from the micro sd card and the flash drive. I haven't been able to find an instance of mosbuild.log at the conclusion of part 1 of the script or after rebooting. I've also tried running an SSH session in parallel with the script and never found a mosbuild.log script in the /home/pi directory. What I seem to end up with after running the script is the version of Raspbian I started with. When I reboot I can supply screen dumps of terminal sessions.

I've tried running the script a few more times. I've rebooted from the micro sd card and the flash drive. I haven't been able to find an instance of mosbuild.log at the conclusion of part 1 of the script or after rebooting. I've also tried running an SSH session in parallel with the script and never found a mosbuild.log script in the /home/pi directory. What I seem to end up with after running the script is the version of Raspbian I started with. When I reboot I can supply screen dumps of terminal sessions.

When mosbuild.sh is finished, no error ?
It ask you to reboot.

So poweroff your RPi, unplug your USB adapter, remove the SDcard from it and replace the one is the RPI with the one you just removed from your USB adapter.

Then power on and look for the log file :)

When mosbuild.sh is finished, no error ?
It ask you to reboot.

So poweroff your RPi, unplug your USB adapter, remove the SDcard from it and replace the one is the RPI with the one you just removed from your USB adapter.

Then power on and look for the log file :)

Hah. Looks like I made a simple, stupid mistake. I used a flash drive, not a card reader as the USB device. This time I rebooted with the micro sd card from the card reader. I'm currently watching the output of all the commands in part 2 scroll by. I hope to be configuring Moode shortly.

Tim,

I just upgraded from a fairly recent 3.x version (probably not the latest, but I did a clean install of beta 12).

first of all thanks for continuing to maintain this project - it's the best media player out there!

I ran into a small problem with the wifi install. At the end of the install, something goes wrong and wifi settings are lost. Since the screen is off at this point and there's no way to SSH into the box, I wasn't able to determine what it is that went wrong but all I know is the box drops off the network (no new HDCP requests) and it just disconnects from wifi.

I was however able to complete the install on a wired network without any problems and then configure wifi.

Second, I can't get random/shuffle play to work. I can play individual music files, but if I just select the shuffle button as I was able to in the 3.x versions and clicking "play", when I do that now, the "play" button is unresponsive and nothing is played. I HAVE enabled auto-shuffle in the settings.

Last edited:
Tim,

I just upgraded from a fairly recent 3.x version (probably not the latest, but I did a clean install of beta 12).

first of all thanks for continuing to maintain this project - it's the best media player out there!

I ran into a small problem with the wifi install. At the end of the install, something goes wrong and wifi settings are lost. Since the screen is off at this point and there's no way to SSH into the box, I wasn't able to determine what it is that went wrong but all I know is the box drops off the network (no new HDCP requests) and it just disconnects from wifi.

I was however able to complete the install on a wired network without any problems and then configure wifi.

Second, I can't get random/shuffle play to work. I can play individual music files, but if I just select the shuffle button as I was able to in the 3.x versions and clicking "play", when I do that now, the "play" button is unresponsive and nothing is played. I HAVE enabled auto-shuffle in the settings.

Hi,

Did the WiFi issue occur with the Image Builder or manual Recipe?

After you click the Random play button, the Consume button should also light up. Verify that Auto-shuffle is running.

pgrep -l ashuffle

-Tim

Hi,

Did the WiFi issue occur with the Image Builder or manual Recipe?

After you click the Random play button, the Consume button should also light up. Verify that Auto-shuffle is running.

pgrep -l ashuffle

-Tim

it happened in both. first time through I followed the manual recipe almost too blindly and probably wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. Looking over it again, I may have overwritten something at the end of section 7 step 2. I then tried the Image Builder and it did the same thing.

I just ran pgrep -l ashuffle and got nothing. Looks like Auto-Shuffle did not get set up. I re-ran that portion of the recipe manually and it works now. Looks like in the Image Builder somehow it got missed.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

On beta12 and have turned on moOde upnp and hit set. On my MAC I am running Audirvana 3.1.8 with preferred audio devices in drop down Built in output,minidsp and Volumio. There is MoOde Upnp is not found. Have checked with Damien of Audirvana and he confirms MoOde should be there if enabled on MPD config.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

I manually built the latest beta again on Sunday.

I tried Koda's automated script, but obviously wasn't paying attention and booted the rpi with the usb microsd adapter plugged in rather than unplugged. Perhaps this question should be in flashing lights as I think a few others have tripped up as well.

However, building it manually allowed me to pay attention to what I was doing.

Some thoughts on the build are as follows:

+ I used the pre-compiled binary for mpd however found I needed a "sudo" out the front to move it into place. The line in the instructions could say where to skip to in the instructions if the pre-compiled binary is used.

+ I always get the flashing lighting bolt on my rpi touchscreen. I am aware this is a power issue, but none of my adapters (and I have tried a few) make it go away. Accordingly, I always add "avoid_warnings=1" to /boot/config.txt

+ I find the default raspbian repository very slow and installing software often fails with an error. Accordingly, I edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file and add my local Australian repository from RaspbianMirrors - Raspbian which gives me a 5x speed improvement. I think the automatic build instructions / manual instructions could have an option for region and depending on your region the sources.list is updated to a local repository. Eg "What region are you in?" with answers such as "USA, UK, EU, JP, AU" which would then update the repository information.

Otherwise everything else went well. I am going to try Koda's log2ram idea next. I am looking forward to the new UI. Thank you Tim and all for your efforts.