Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hah. Looks like I made a simple, stupid mistake. I used a flash drive, not a card reader as the USB device. This time I rebooted with the micro sd card from the card reader. I'm currently watching the output of all the commands in part 2 scroll by. I hope to be configuring Moode shortly.

Yup, user error. Using a card reader and 2 cards worked. Could I have copied the contents of the flash drive to an SD card to initiate phase 2?

Balance control

Tim - I would very much like a balance control capability to be added at some point in the future.
The Moode player is truly a fantastic piece of work and I use it every day.
But my hearing is not as perfect as it used to be and my personal balance is offset by about 15%.
The output of my Schiit DAC runs into a very simple hybrid amp that only has a volume control.
Being able to tweak the image center in the Moode player would be a great add for me . . .

Tim - I would very much like a balance control capability to be added at some point in the future.
The Moode player is truly a fantastic piece of work and I use it every day.
But my hearing is not as perfect as it used to be and my personal balance is offset by about 15%.
The output of my Schiit DAC runs into a very simple hybrid amp that only has a volume control.
Being able to tweak the image center in the Moode player would be a great add for me . . .

Hi,

This would probably be a request for the developer of MPD since its MPD that handles setting volume level. moOde just sends MPD a setvol <level> command.

-Tim

Could balance (in the force!) be achieved using an Alsa setting, if you just want to set and forget? amixer sset Master 80%,20%. will shift the balance toward the left, as an example. Will this remain set?

Of course using an amp with a balance control for someone with balance needs rather than wanting to adjust the balance of the source would be the most obvious and simplest answer... what happens when listening to CD, radio sources?

I use a balance control to center the image on my large (non Moode) system.
Set and forget would work well for me.
Took a look at the MPD forum, but it seems that the thinking there is "that's not what MPD is for".
Have had a shot at Alsa, but still haven't figured out if it can be done there with an external USB DAC. I do use the EQG function - would appreciate any guidance on tweaking channel balance using Alsa . . .

Tim, I have beta 12 which I made using the image builder.
Basic functions work fine, however, I have 2 problems.

1. The upnp renderer is set on but it is not showing in Bubble upnp or
when using a upnp device scanner.

2. I have standard kernel only with no option to install the advanced kernels.

Where have I gone wrong?

Could balance (in the force!) be achieved using an Alsa setting, if you just want to set and forget? amixer sset Master 80%,20%. will shift the balance toward the left, as an example. Will this remain set?

Of course using an amp with a balance control for someone with balance needs rather than wanting to adjust the balance of the source would be the most obvious and simplest answer... what happens when listening to CD, radio sources?

I use a balance control to center the image on my large (non Moode) system.
Set and forget would work well for me.
Took a look at the MPD forum, but it seems that the thinking there is "that's not what MPD is for".
Have had a shot at Alsa, but still haven't figured out if it can be done there with an external USB DAC. I do use the EQG function - would appreciate any guidance on tweaking channel balance using Alsa . . .

Hi,

If audio device has a hardware volume controller then as @Zootalaws pointed out ALSA can be used to control the level of L and R channels independently. For example lets say the ALSA name for the volume controller is "Digital" then the cmd below will set the L/R levels such that the L level is 15% higher than R.

amixer set Digital 60%,45%

This volume setting is separate from moOde volume setting.

-Tim

Thanks, Tim - Tried the amixer command - my volume controller is called "PCM" - the command is accepted, but nothing changes because I think my DAC does not have a hardware volume control.
For the moment, I am using a passive attenuator on one channel between the DAC and the amp that balances things out. It seems to work well without screwing up the frequency domain aspects of the signal.
Please consider this closed . . .

Tim, I have beta 12 which I made using the image builder.
Basic functions work fine, however, I have 2 problems.

1. The upnp renderer is set on but it is not showing in Bubble upnp or
when using a upnp device scanner.

First, thx again, Tim !! :)
Second had the same problems here; also since the early Beta releases; upnp renderer on->not showing up in anything ;-) (restarted,rebooted,re-installed, nothing ;-) )

2. I have standard kernel only with no option to install the advanced kernels.

Where have I gone wrong?

the advanced kernels aren´t up right now; think we have to wait/hope ! ;-)

No sound

Set up moode beta 12 using automated image builder. Up and running, can access using Chrome browser on my Android. Set up nas source - success- I can see my tracks in library. Selected allo boss as i2s device. But I am not getting any sound.
(Checked volume levels)
Any guess what I am missing?

Regards
Goutham

Hi Ian,

Not seeing this issue on my end. Name changes work ok.

Maybe at some point in B9 the conf file name was edited? Once they get out of sync, UI name change will not have any effect.

-Tim

Same issue here. Updated conf file manually too after changing renderer name in the ui (upexplorer didn't get cover art anymore).
No update, I used image builder to get beta 12 from scratch.

Hi @DaveGahan,

Use upexplorer to troubleshoot. If there is some sort of breakage this util can help isolate the problem.

pi@rp3:~ $ upexplorer
upexplorer: usage:
-l : list devices
-1 : loop only once (initial discovery)
[-u] Add url to device lines
-r <server> <objid> list object id (root is '0')
-s <server> <searchstring> search for string
-m <server> <objid> : list object metadata
-c <server> get search capabilities
-M <renderer>: monitor AVTransport
-v <renderer> get volume
-V <renderer> <volume> set volume
-p <renderer> 1|0 play/stop
-P <renderer> pause
--album-art <renderer> print album art uri for playing track

<renderer> params can be either "friendly names", or UDNs
<server> params must be "friendly names"

-Tim

Hi tim,

Good work! But not quite seamless yet...

I completed Stage 1 of the update, the put that card into the Pi (with HiFiBerry DAC+ fitted) and rebooted. Pi shows up on the network; Fing says SSH enabled (I added a blank ssh file to the root partition); but I cannot SSH into it (is the username/password still pi/raspberry?); nor does anything show up in the Web browser when pointed to the MoOde pi's IP address.

What are the magic words to get it working?

Stuart