Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Can anybody point me to the exact Post # for information on using Moode with the Pi zero, and Pi zero W. Yes I tried the search function but it was hopeless and if you use Google to search it never gets you to the right spot. I'm looking at the zero-w as an option because I expect it to operate at lower temperature and draw less power compared with the rpi-3. The idea would be to use the built-in wi-fi to stream from my home network.

Hi,

What would you like to know about using Zero W with Moode?

-Tim

Can anybody point me to the exact Post # for information on using Moode with the Pi zero, and Pi zero W. Yes I tried the search function but it was hopeless and if you use Google to search it never gets you to the right spot. I'm looking at the zero-w as an option because I expect it to operate at lower temperature and draw less power compared with the rpi-3. The idea would be to use the built-in wi-fi to stream from my home network.
It just works out of the box with Moode 3.6, standard kernel.

I use mine with a Pimoroni pHAT DAC.

Cheers,

Phil

DO it !! :D

I also have mine working for a while with Moode 3.6.

I wanted to keep the touchscreen on when playing music, and allow it to turn off (screensaver) when I'm no longer playing. So, I created a .py program to turn the screen on, and pointed the Moode's update screen option into that program. Works great :) It actually turns the screen on even just adjusting the volume when playing spotify.

Hi Ferdz,

Would you mind to share your .py program?

Thanks Axel

Rongon, could it be that your DB usage, logs, etc. have grown silently? Have you tried all the 'cleaning' tools on the web interface to clean up DB, clear logs, etc?

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've cleared system logs recently, but they are set on 'verbose.' Maybe I should set that back to the default.

I haven't cleared the playlist. I'll try that this evening.

Are there other things to try?
--

There isn't one, however you can use M.A.L.P. from the play store OR use the Chrome webapp feature to add a shortcut to the home screen, it works somewhat like an app.

I use the Chrome webapp primarily. M.AL.P. is used to pause / skip tracks when the screen is locked.

M.A.L.P. looks pretty good. I've tried 3 or 4 others as well. The trouble I have with all these Android MPD clients is their seeming inability to deal with the extensive radio station list in MoOde Player. Maybe I just haven't found the magic menu. I like the streaming stations for their variety beyond my personal music collection so Tim's Web app works best for me. Besides, using it gives me a common interface across phone, tablet, PC, and touchscreen if I ever get one.

Regards,
Kent

M.A.L.P. looks pretty good. I've tried 3 or 4 others as well. The trouble I have with all these Android MPD clients is their seeming inability to deal with the extensive radio station list in MoOde Player. Maybe I just haven't found the magic menu. I like the streaming stations for their variety beyond my personal music collection so Tim's Web app works best for me. Besides, using it gives me a common interface across phone, tablet, PC, and touchscreen if I ever get one.

Regards,
Kent

M.A.L.P. does it. From the main menu pick "Files", rather than browsing the library by Artist or Album.

HTH

J.

add a Radio Station logo

Hi,

as a Linux newbe tried to add a Radio Station logo for my new generated 256 Kbps Soma FM variant:

pi@moode:~ $ cp /var/lib/mpd/music/RADIO/Soma\ FM\ -\ Groove\ Salad\ 256.png /var/www/images/radio-logos/
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/var/www/images/radio-logos/Soma FM - Groove Salad 256.png’: Read-only file System

Any idea?

Thanks Axel

rpi2 config

Hi, I want to share my current setting, maybe someone interested.

My Unit : RPI2B + Diy dac PCM5142 (use dac+pro driver)
Upsampling : 32bit / 384 kHz soxr multi threads, very high quality
Moode : 3.6 LL kernel (I didn't like the sound from RT kernel and have a problem with moode hang randomly)
or moode 3.1 with new mpd version (I use 0.20.8)
Isolated CPU core for mpd : 2 cores (1 core the sound seem to stress and more punchy, 3 cores ok but slow down the system)
MPD schedules : FIFO
CPU Governer : Performance
Music source : 16/44.1 flac connect to usb HDD and power with seperated linear supply.
SD card : Transcend 8GB Ultimate that have MLC nand flash and error correction.
LCD Display : cheap 2x16 HD44780
Main supply : Linear power via gpio (pin2=5V, pin6 = ground), I noticed sound improvement than tiny rpi micro usb.

When using one core the cpu load around 50%, 2 cores the cpu load reduced to 25% each.
(using top command and press 1 to monitor)

My current setting :

/boot/config.txt

force_turbo=1
avoid_pwm_pll=1
arm_freq=666
sdram_freq=333
core_freq=333
gpu_freq=200
over_voltage=-4
sdram_over_voltage=-4
disable_pvt=1
hdmi_blanking=2
gpu_mem=16
disable_splash=1
# disable red led
dtparam=pwr_led_trigger=none
dtparam=pwr_led_activelow=off
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
# remote control
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_in_pin=26

/boot/cmdline.txt

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=0 dwc_otg.nak_holdoff_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N isolcpus=2,3

edit some mpd.service

/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service

[Service]

#CPUAffinity=1

# Launch params
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/mpd
ExecStart=/usr/bin/taskset -c 2,3 /usr/local/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF

LimitRTPRIO=81
LimitMEMLOCK=infinity

Some config I find around the net and some I tested myself.

Hi,

as a Linux newbe tried to add a Radio Station logo for my new generated 256 Kbps Soma FM variant:

pi@moode:~ $ cp /var/lib/mpd/music/RADIO/Soma\ FM\ -\ Groove\ Salad\ 256.png /var/www/images/radio-logos/
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/var/www/images/radio-logos/Soma FM - Groove Salad 256.png’: Read-only file System

Any idea?

Thanks Axel

Hi Axel,

Moode uses a compressed read-only file system for /var/www. Email me and I'll send you procedure for unsquash / re-squash so you can edit files.

-Tim

Hi, I want to share my current setting, maybe someone interested.

My Unit : RPI2B + Diy dac PCM5142 (use dac+pro driver)
Upsampling : 32bit / 384 kHz soxr multi threads, very high quality
Moode : 3.6 LL kernel (I didn't like the sound from RT kernel and have a problem with moode hang randomly)
or moode 3.1 with new mpd version (I use 0.20.8)
Isolated CPU core for mpd : 2 cores (1 core the sound seem to stress and more punchy, 3 cores ok but slow down the system)
MPD schedules : FIFO
CPU Governer : Performance
Music source : 16/44.1 flac connect to usb HDD and power with seperated linear supply.
SD card : Transcend 8GB Ultimate that have MLC nand flash and error correction.
LCD Display : cheap 2x16 HD44780
Main supply : Linear power via gpio (pin2=5V, pin6 = ground), I noticed sound improvement than tiny rpi micro usb.

When using one core the cpu load around 50%, 2 cores the cpu load reduced to 25% each.
(using top command and press 1 to monitor)

My current setting :

/boot/config.txt

/boot/cmdline.txt

edit some mpd.service

/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service

Some config I find around the net and some I tested myself.

@joe0097

Thanks for taking the time to organize and post this info. I, for one, find it very useful to look through the complete configuration of other peoples' players and read about their experiences with the new kernels offered.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

What would you like to know about using Zero W with Moode?

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm looking to build a Pi-DAC-Moode inside a pre-amp, where I'll have other boards so space is limited. I had not intended to include it but now the idea is growing. The zero-w looks like a good option because of it's size and the built-in wi-fi. I didn't see many folk choosing the zero, presumably because why should they if not space constrained.

Do I give anything up in choosing the zero-w over the larger Pi boards if the goal is to use it 'only' as a music server, e.g. for Spotify and possibly a NAS. Does the zero-w have the performance it needs to give a good user experience with Moode ?

When my chassis arrives (slow boat from China) I may find space for a larger Pi, but don't know yet.

Hi Tim,

I'm looking to build a Pi-DAC-Moode inside a pre-amp, where I'll have other boards so space is limited. I had not intended to include it but now the idea is growing. The zero-w looks like a good option because of it's size and the built-in wi-fi. I didn't see many folk choosing the zero, presumably because why should they if not space constrained.

@Bigun

Keep in mind that putting a WiFi transceiver antenna inside a metallic enclosure likely will degrade or kill your wireless performance depending on how "tight" the enclosure is. It doesn't matter whether the antenna is onboard (RPi0W, RPi3B) or offboard (RPi with USB-WiFi adapter or ethernet-WiFi adapter) the antenna should be in free air.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited: