Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

I'm looking to build a Pi-DAC-Moode inside a pre-amp, where I'll have other boards so space is limited. I had not intended to include it but now the idea is growing. The zero-w looks like a good option because of it's size and the built-in wi-fi. I didn't see many folk choosing the zero, presumably because why should they if not space constrained.

Do I give anything up in choosing the zero-w over the larger Pi boards if the goal is to use it 'only' as a music server, e.g. for Spotify and possibly a NAS. Does the zero-w have the performance it needs to give a good user experience with Moode ?

When my chassis arrives (slow boat from China) I may find space for a larger Pi, but don't know yet.

Hi,

The 0W I have for testing performs just fine playing music w/Moode, however its on-board Wifi chip is not going deliver same throughput, signal strength, etc as as a good USB Wifi adapter for example Edimax 7811Un.

I use a Pi-3B + SSD as a file server for music files and that works well. I've never used a Pi-0 in this way so I can't comment on how it would work as a NAS or file server.

As @TheOldPresbyope mentioned, Wifi antenna needs to be outside of an all metal chassis.

-Tim

Hi,

Yes the pre-loaded stations. If u want to use different stream urls for the preloaded stations then u would need to update the .pls files and the associated entries in the cfg_radio sql table.

If u know some Linux send me email and I'll explain how to do this.

-Tim

I know that this is an old post, but I was wondering if you could share the explanation about how to do this in order to use the aac rather than mp3 streams from Soma?

Thanks!

I have built a new streamer. After reading endless discussions on different forums i did this:

Raspberry Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro with three power supplies:

1. iFi ipower 5V ps for Pi with 9400uF caps buffer connected directly to GPIO pins 6 (gnd) and 2 (+)

2. 3.3V ps with LT3042 for clocks and the digital part of DAC + pro connected to pins 20 (gnd) and 1 and 17 for (+). You have to bent PI3 pins 1 and 17 on gpio header, than DAC will not get 3.3V from Pi

LT3042 400mA DAC power supply xmos | eBay

3. 3.3V ps with TPSA4700 for the analogue part of DAC + pro. You have to remove R14, than DAC will not get 5V from Pi and then connect the + on the output leg of 3.3V reg

TPS7A4700 Ul IAAOSwSlBYts6j | eBay

One 50VA 2x6V transformer for ps 2 and 3, already ordered one 100VA and more caps for regulators ...

I have changed caps C7/C8 after PCM1522 for Digikey P/N PCF1457CT-ND Panasonic ECH-U1C222GX5. SMD parts are nightmare.

After i did this picture i connected 4TB 2.5" hd with my music files (wav, dff, dsf) directly to Pi. In this way i have the best sound quality, better than playing from NAS. Adding better rca outputs and one nice case is planned.

I am using Moode 3.7 and imho the best sound is with LL kernel and Fifo setting. Sound quality is absolutely phantastic compared to Pi3 with waveio and Buffalo II Dac, but soon i want to built another streamer using Pi3, Digi plus pro - i2s - Buffalo II. It is incredible how important power supply and clocks are.

I am missing one feature in Moode. When i go one track forward, than it automatically plays music, when i am going one track back, than i have to press "play" again if i want to hear a track again. Any chance to change this behaviour ?

Attachments

• 20170520_002948.jpg
    20170520_002948.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 377
I have built a new streamer. After reading endless discussions on different forums i did this:

Raspberry Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro with three power supplies:

1. iFi ipower 5V ps for Pi with 9400uF caps buffer connected directly to GPIO pins 6 (gnd) and 2 (+)

2. 3.3V ps with LT3042 for clocks and the digital part of DAC + pro connected to pins 20 (gnd) and 1 and 17 for (+). You have to bent PI3 pins 1 and 17 on gpio header, than DAC will not get 3.3V from Pi

LT3042 400mA DAC power supply xmos | eBay

3. 3.3V ps with TPSA4700 for the analogue part of DAC + pro. You have to remove R14, than DAC will not get 5V from Pi and then connect the + on the output leg of 3.3V reg

TPS7A4700 Ul IAAOSwSlBYts6j | eBay

One 50VA 2x6V transformer for ps 2 and 3, already ordered one 100VA and more caps for regulators ...

I have changed caps C7/C8 after PCM1522 for Digikey P/N PCF1457CT-ND Panasonic ECH-U1C222GX5. SMD parts are nightmare.

After i did this picture i connected 4TB 2.5" hd with my music files (wav, dff, dsf) directly to Pi. In this way i have the best sound quality, better than playing from NAS. Adding better rca outputs and one nice case is planned.

I am using Moode 3.7 and imho the best sound is with LL kernel and Fifo setting. Sound quality is absolutely phantastic compared to Pi3 with waveio and Buffalo II Dac, but soon i want to built another streamer using Pi3, Digi plus pro - i2s - Buffalo II. It is incredible how important power supply and clocks are.

I am missing one feature in Moode. When i go one track forward, than it automatically plays music, when i am going one track back, than i have to press "play" again if i want to hear a track again. Any chance to change this behaviour ?

Hi,

I really love to see this kind of DIY that pushes the envelope :) Maybe you hang out with the inmates in the Line Level forum?

Current behavior is:

- Click on the Playlist item to restart the track
- Click prev btn rewinds the track to the beginning
- Click prev btn again starts playing the previous track

What would u like to see?

You are bit ahead of me but yes I'm about to announce the new 3.7 release.

-Tim

Hi,

MoOde release 3.7 is available at moodeaudio.org. This is a free upgrade for existing product key holders and is available as both a downloadable image and an in-place update for previous 3.6 release.

If you are currently running release 3.5 then install 3.5 -> 3.6 update, reboot then install 3/6 -> 3.7 update. Don't forget to VIEW the update instructions and as always -- BACKUP your SD card before installing in-place updates.

This release has important bug fixes and updates. Refer to the release notes below for details.

Enjoy!

-Tim

=============================
3.7 Release 2017-05-25
=============================

New features

- NEW: Silver color theme

Updates

- UPD: Validate "Source name" on NAS config
- UPD: Validate "Save playlist" on Playback panel
- UPD: Increase msg duration for several update jobs
- UPD: Improve playlist click logic
- UPD: Improve logic for show/hide wifi-bt setting
- UPD: Add show/hide logic for Max USB current setting
- UPD: Cleanup names in audiodev table
- UPD: Add validation to Software update
- UPD: Set systemd default to multi-user.target
- UPD: Bump font size on playlist active

Radio Stations

- NEW: JB Radio2 (320K)
- NEW: The Finest Amsterdam
- UPD: Ambient Sleeping Pill
- UPD: EuropaJazzRadio - 88.3 Smooth Jazz HD
- UPD: EuropaJazzRadio - The Sound of Jazz
- UPD: La Premiere
- UPD: Mad Music Asylum
- UPD: Musiq 3
- UPD: Radio X Brussels
- UPD: Rinse FM
- UPD: Smooth Jazz Global Radio
- UPD: SomehowJazz
- UPD: Triple J Unearthed
- UPD: Triple J
- UPD: UCFM
- UPD: WFMT
- UPD: WRTI Philadelphia 90.1 - Classical
- UPD: WRTI Philadelphia 90.1 - Jazz
- UPD: Spelling of Buddha Radio
- DEL: Classic and Jazz
- DEL: AddictedToRadio - Blues Classics
- DEL: The Ann Channel Detroit
- DEL: FARPASTPOST - Post Rock Radio
- DEL: FM 106 - Canada's Classic Rock
- DEL: KWAX Classic
- DEL: Phases Radio
- DEL: Radio Monte Carlo - RMC1
- DEL: Rock FM

Bug fixes

- FIX: Audioinfo DSD input/decode rates
- FIX: MPD output thread priority
- FIX: Library sort double-byte characters
- FIX: Logic in GetMixerName for USB DAC's
- FIX: Missing values in reset Network cfg

Attachments

• moode-r37.png
    moode-r37.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 351
Hi,

MoOde release 3.7 is available at moodeaudio.org. This is a free upgrade for existing product key holders and is available as both a downloadable image and an in-place update for previous 3.6 release.

If you are currently running release 3.5 then install 3.5 -> 3.6 update, reboot then install 3/6 -> 3.7 update. Don't forget to VIEW the update instructions and as always -- BACKUP your SD card before installing in-place updates.

This release has important bug fixes and updates. Refer to the release notes below for details.

Enjoy!

-Tim

Wow. You've been a busy bee! +1

I updated from r36 about an hour before I saw this message.

Do the update instructions get saved locally? I'd like to read them again now that I've updated. It felt like I had to reboot several times before everything was sorted, notably, getting correct responses from "System Info" and "About." Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Regards,
Kent

A couple of days ago MoOde refused to boot up. I think the reason is that I accidentally turned on the power supply switch and then turned it off after 3-5 seconds. Perhaps the card got corrupted.
It took me a an hour to setup everything, but somehow RPI cannot see my WiFi anymore. (in fact sometimes it does not show any neighbouring WiFi networks either) Still troubleshooting and using wired mode at the moment.
Will update MoOde to the 3.7 release and see if it can fix this magically.

Edit: Users of Allo BOSS DAC, which settings work best for you? Has anyone tried Digital interpolation filter settings for this DAC?

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I'm looking to build a Pi-DAC-Moode inside a pre-amp, where I'll have other boards so space is limited. I had not intended to include it but now the idea is growing. The zero-w looks like a good option because of it's size and the built-in wi-fi. I didn't see many folk choosing the zero, presumably because why should they if not space constrained.

Do I give anything up in choosing the zero-w over the larger Pi boards if the goal is to use it 'only' as a music server, e.g. for Spotify and possibly a NAS. Does the zero-w have the performance it needs to give a good user experience with Moode ?

When my chassis arrives (slow boat from China) I may find space for a larger Pi, but don't know yet.

I have a pi zero-w working with the odroid hifi dac 2 at the moment on my bench , sound is pretty good while I sort my DIY dac out. zero is a bit slower to respond though and can drop out occasionally due to wifi. pi3 on ethernet is bullet proof though.

Hi,

I really love to see this kind of DIY that pushes the envelope :) Maybe you hang out with the inmates in the Line Level forum?

Current behavior is:

- Click on the Playlist item to restart the track
- Click prev btn rewinds the track to the beginning
- Click prev btn again starts playing the previous track

What would u like to see?

You are bit ahead of me but yes I'm about to announce the new 3.7 release.

-Tim

Thanks for the answer. I am new to moode player after many years of squeezebox. Now i know how to restart the track :)
When i was writing my post my player was already turned off so i checked the relase number on Your webpage and it was already 3.7.
I have 3.6, today i will update for 3.7.

There is one thing i am missing, or it is hidden somewhere. Simple display of track X from YZ tracks somewhere close to the display of time.

Like in Logitech app:

hHcJbMjzf4qH70U2fsgnTU6EZVnxaW0cdDu3jHqXTMQ8kEtIbxNdkNbJhw6B2gg7fw=h900

:)

Hi,

Enjoy!

-Tim

Tim, you've been a busy bee!

+1

I updated an RPi3b running r36 without incident even before you posted. I must have checked for an update just after you "went live".

It seemed to me that I had to reboot twice before "About" and "Sysinfo" gave me the correct answers. Other than that, everything seems to be working.

However both an RPi2b and an RPi0w running r36 failed to update properly. In both cases the update process took a while, as expected; the "Reboot required" box popped up as expected; but when rebooted they came up in anomalous, unresponsive states.

All three RPis were connected via WiFi and had adequate power.

Pulling the uSD cards and examining their contents on a Linux laptop, I noticed several odd things, among them /var/www/relnotes.txt hasn't been updated and the size of /var/local/moode.sqsh is only some 900MB rather than the ca 1.9GB I would expect. I can't mount it as a squashfs.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kent

My new RPI 3 arrived today.

Since my brain is not what it used to be :( and it's about 18 months since I first set up my old RPI can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to do on the RPI before installing Moode 3.7?

Nothing to it for MoOde Player itself. Just burn the image file to your uSD card, plug it in, and power up. You can do all needed configuration via the Web GUI.

However, the devil is in the details.

- the procedure for burning the uSD card depends on your host O/S (MS Windows, OSX, Linux)
- you may have to go through some mechanical/electrical steps to install your DAC.
- if you're not using wired ethernet your initial access to the running MoOde Player will be through its default WiFi access point. See the setup guide for details and for details on autoconfiguring it if you want it to join your WiFi network in station mode when it boots instead of coming up in access point mode.

Regards,
Kent

Hello,

I've just setup my Pi and Moode and it seems great thanks but I have a few questions please. So I'm totally new to Raspberry Pi's, Moode and while I know Windows very well, I'm not that knowledgeable regarding Linux, but am keen to learn!

I don't have any digital files or NAS. I really just want to use the Pi as a server to stream Spotify. I want the Pi to be the client for the Spotify streaming. I believe Airplay would require a phone or PC to stream from, is that correct?

Is there a way to have the Moode box run a spotify client and is there some clear instructions on how to achieve this? My google skills are failing me..

Also, how can I add additional radio stations to the Moode default stations?

Lastly, are there any instructions on getting started with Moode? The setup readme is great thanks but is that the extent of the "manual"? Is there a document that might have answered my above questions?

Many thanks,

Rob

Hello,

I've just setup my Pi and Moode and it seems great thanks but I have a few questions please. So I'm totally new to Raspberry Pi's, Moode and while I know Windows very well, I'm not that knowledgeable regarding Linux, but am keen to learn!

I don't have any digital files or NAS. I really just want to use the Pi as a server to stream Spotify. I want the Pi to be the client for the Spotify streaming. I believe Airplay would require a phone or PC to stream from, is that correct?

Is there a way to have the Moode box run a spotify client and is there some clear instructions on how to achieve this? My google skills are failing me..

Also, how can I add additional radio stations to the Moode default stations?

Lastly, are there any instructions on getting started with Moode? The setup readme is great thanks but is that the extent of the "manual"? Is there a document that might have answered my above questions?

Many thanks,

Rob

Note the title of this forum: DIYaudio - feel free to write a user guide.

And yes, your google-fu is weak. Googling "moode spotify client" returned a significant number of hits that pointed directly to the question you asked. Try it.

You could search this forum for "Spotify client" and get a similar range of useful responses.