Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

You're asking for two different things.

The second thing, enabling on-board user input, is stickier. In a subsequent message, Morias notes Rune and possibly Volumio has implemented touchscreen input.

@hifix

My bad :(

I have been using my MoOde Players exclusively with whatever tablet/phone/laptop is at hand.

I just plugged a desktop HDMI display into my MoOde Player and implemented Steps 1 - 7 of Morias's changes. Rebooted and MoOde Player came up on the local display. Plugged in a USB mouse and voila, there's the cursor on-screen. I can mouse and select in the same way I would do using the Web GUI on a remote device. USB keyboard works fine too. All while playing nicely with the remote GUIs.

Note that I didn't implement Step 8, specifically the --nocursor option, which would be counterproductive here.

Personally, I have no need for this (I want my player tucked out of sight) but it looks like the functionality you are looking for is already available with just a little work. Keep in mind that the browser is running in kiosk mode; what you see is what you get.

I apologize for my overreaction first time around. Coffee is a curative for brain farts.

Regards,
Kent

You're asking for two different things.

The first thing, enabling on-board video output, is pretty straightforward and answered by Morias. You'll have to make some adjustment for your specific display (orientation, size).

The second thing, enabling on-board user input, is stickier. In a subsequent message, Morias notes Rune and possibly Volumio has implemented touchscreen input.

I suspect more than one of us is noodling with getting similar capability into MoOde Player, but I hope your mind control technique fails. Tim already has a substantial ToDo list of higher priority items. If not having this feature is a deal breaker, use an alternative player until the time comes.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
To the best of my understanding, Morias was trying to get the touchscreen / touchscreen inputs to work.
I was thinking more along the lines of a monitor / TV connected to the HDMI port.

Hi,

lol, Jedi...

I'm still trying to understand the usage scenario where an HDMI connected display with kbd/mouse is preferred over just using a Laptop, Tablet or integrating the Pi 7" Touchscreen as described in the post below
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-788.html#post5084075

I'm not familiar with

"terminal commands to implement the hardware on/off switch"

-Tim

G'day Tim,

In a setup where one can connect the audio player to a TV / monitor as part of an AV setup. As long as this doesnt compromise the audio quality, it would be a real plus IMO.

Commands that i copy and paste into the terminal emulator which might result in a green switch appearing in the System Configuration to enable the HDMI display and USB mouse :D I think i should have called it the software on / off switch.

I will look again into the the touch screen option.

Fantastic software.

*Releasing Jedi mind control* :D

I'm still trying to understand the usage scenario where an HDMI connected display with kbd/mouse is preferred over just using a Laptop, Tablet or integrating the Pi 7" Touchscreen as described in the post below
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-788.html#post5084075

Tim: One usage scenario is an audio kiosk in a teenager's room with a Rpi Zero (w) running Moode and able to access Chromium, possibly with a Google Assistant microphone interface.

Best,

Energyman

@hifix

My bad :(

I have been using my MoOde Players exclusively with whatever tablet/phone/laptop is at hand.

I just plugged a desktop HDMI display into my MoOde Player and implemented Steps 1 - 7 of Morias's changes. Rebooted and MoOde Player came up on the local display. Plugged in a USB mouse and voila, there's the cursor on-screen. I can mouse and select in the same way I would do using the Web GUI on a remote device. USB keyboard works fine too. All while playing nicely with the remote GUIs.

Note that I didn't implement Step 8, specifically the --nocursor option, which would be counterproductive here.

Personally, I have no need for this (I want my player tucked out of sight) but it looks like the functionality you are looking for is already available with just a little work. Keep in mind that the browser is running in kiosk mode; what you see is what you get.

I apologize for my overreaction first time around. Coffee is a curative for brain farts.

Regards,
Kent

Thank you Kent! I do appreciate the feedback.
With the Pi having to "work harder", did you notice any negative effects to the sound ?

Cheers man.

Last edited:
With the Pi having to "work harder", did you notice any negative effects to the sound ?

I was wondering that too. I have the OS and all my music on a 128GB microSD card in the Pi itself. As the card is getting full, I've noticed the MoOde GUI has really slowed down. I wonder if the sdcard is drawing more current as it's operating, being read by the OS while streaming music.

I'm thinking there's no reason for this to be a problem, since the OS is in a separate partition (with different file system) than the music storage partition (using FAT32 file system, I think).

Maybe it's a bad idea to have all the music loading from the same storage device that the OS boots from?

Would that mean running a MoOde Pi with a 2GB sdcard and plugging in USB thumb drives will sound better (due to less drain on the psu?) than running a big sdcard holding both OS and all music files? Or should that not matter?
--

Cheers man.

Thanks Kent for trying the instructions. It is nice to know it is working and I didn't make any transcription errors.

In respect of the rpi working harder I don't notice any issue and I am running a rpi 2.

The cpu load is well within what the rpi can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent, what Hz/Db Crossfeed DSP setting do you use?

Best,

Energyman

[full disclosure: I'm 72. In my teens and twenties, I was a hot-shot audiophile who could listen for 5 minutes and then tell you whether it was a DGG, Decca, Columbia or RCA recording and what microphones were used in the recording session. I no longer have "perfect" ears!]

I haven't been able to decide which setting I like best. It depends on the source material. I don't like to use loose terms like "more natural," etc. but for me, even the default crossfeed setting, albeit subtle, makes extended listening enjoyable. Without crossfeed, I find headphones annoying.

Regards,
Kent

Cheers man.

G'day, mate.

I didn't notice anything right off the bat but I haven't spent a lot of time listening in the past day.

My test article system was an RPi3B with a no-name DAC. If cpu loading became an issue I suppose one could play with cpu affinities (at least with the standard kernel) but I don't see the need in my case.

Trouble is, now that I've come this far, I feel like I should get a touchscreen just to keep up with y'all!

Regards,
Kent

PS - Over the years, I've spend a total of 2 months in Australia, two weeks each in NSW, QLD, VIC, and TAS. I don't remember ever seeing any signs for Mos Eisley! Pity.

I was wondering that too. I have the OS and all my music on a 128GB microSD card in the Pi itself. As the card is getting full, I've noticed the MoOde GUI has really slowed down. I wonder if the sdcard is drawing more current as it's operating, being read by the OS while streaming music.

I'm thinking there's no reason for this to be a problem, since the OS is in a separate partition (with different file system) than the music storage partition (using FAT32 file system, I think).

Maybe it's a bad idea to have all the music loading from the same storage device that the OS boots from?

Would that mean running a MoOde Pi with a 2GB sdcard and plugging in USB thumb drives will sound better (due to less drain on the psu?) than running a big sdcard holding both OS and all music files? Or should that not matter?
--

I don't believe your slowdown is due to current drain. I'm sure others will chip in on issues related to large-capacity uSD cards.

Sound quality, however, can be affected by the psu itself, the wires connecting it, and the distribution of power to the RPi and any associated DAC and amp.

Regards,
Kent

G'day, mate.

I didn't notice anything right off the bat but I haven't spent a lot of time listening in the past day.

My test article system was an RPi3B with a no-name DAC. If cpu loading became an issue I suppose one could play with cpu affinities (at least with the standard kernel) but I don't see the need in my case.

Trouble is, now that I've come this far, I feel like I should get a touchscreen just to keep up with y'all!

Regards,
Kent

PS - Over the years, I've spend a total of 2 months in Australia, two weeks each in NSW, QLD, VIC, and TAS. I don't remember ever seeing any signs for Mos Eisley! Pity.

G'day Kent,

With more thought given, the touchscreen might just be the solution!

I am looking to reconfigure my listening area in the near future, doing away with my transport and DAC and using the RPi + DAC combo.
Having an alternative to a tablet / phone would (for me) be a huge plus. The thought of having to account for a charged tablet detracts form the listening enjoyment.
The local Mos Eisley is farther west. Currently in recession.

Thanks Kent for trying the instructions. It is nice to know it is working and I didn't make any transcription errors.

In respect of the rpi working harder I don't notice any issue and I am running a rpi 2.

The cpu load is well within what the rpi can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for cleaning up radak's work and adding your own spin. It pretty much worked right out of the box

Two minor changes:

With my Samsung LCD monitor it was necessary to set dpmi_drive=1 in /boot/config.txt. There's a lot of smoke and not much light about this in the chatter in the RPi forums. Not knowing the internals of the RPi firmware, I just have to keep flippin' bits until something good happens.

I didn't like my screen going blank while I was experimenting. I'm not sure if it was the explicit 600s screensaver setting; X has its own ideas about blanking. I modified my .xinitrc to contain the often cited xset options
Code:
xset s off &
xset -dpms &
xset s noblank &

Now the screen is on all the time (or it was until I tore down this experiment to move the display back to my desktop computer).

Regards,
Kent

[This message can safely be ignored by most users]

Ah, that will be be me then :)

Thanks Kent, I managed to muddle my way through and it does , indeed work.;)

At the mo, I have copied the complete "command" directory (I have had to use WinScp).

It seems to work OK, although the "autoplay" feature works does not function.

A colleague on another forum suggested a slightly different approach of copying the complete "command" directory and editing the required file and making an adjustment to "fstab".

This also works, but will most likely fail on an update, and also prevents the "Autoplay" feature.

I'll most likely revert to v3.1 in the future; the current path of MoOde does not enamour me to it's continued use.

Thanks for the input.:wave2::wave2:

Ronnie.

I don't believe your slowdown is due to current drain. I'm sure others will chip in on issues related to large-capacity uSD cards.

Sound quality, however, can be affected by the psu itself, the wires connecting it, and the distribution of power to the RPi and any associated DAC and amp.

Regards,
Kent

You are right - the current 'drain' for SD cards is constant while quiesced - the size doesn't matter, nor how full it is.

The only thing that affects current usage is how often the card is read and written, but the current used is in the tens of a mA range.

The 'high-powered' Sandisk Ultra cards are spec'd at a maximum of 100mA at 3.7V, but typical post-insertion figures are 30mA for reads, 40mA for writes. That won't change.

Most reputable manufacturers will post the figures in the spec sheet.

Can anybody point me to the exact Post # for information on using Moode with the Pi zero, and Pi zero W. Yes I tried the search function but it was hopeless and if you use Google to search it never gets you to the right spot. I'm looking at the zero-w as an option because I expect it to operate at lower temperature and draw less power compared with the rpi-3. The idea would be to use the built-in wi-fi to stream from my home network.

You are right - the current 'drain' for SD cards is constant while quiesced - the size doesn't matter, nor how full it is.

The only thing that affects current usage is how often the card is read and written, but the current used is in the tens of a mA range.

The 'high-powered' Sandisk Ultra cards are spec'd at a maximum of 100mA at 3.7V, but typical post-insertion figures are 30mA for reads, 40mA for writes. That won't change.

Most reputable manufacturers will post the figures in the spec sheet.

It sounds like the sdcard, even with a lot of music stored on it, is not a problem. That's reassuring.

Re: sound quality -- I'm expecting delivery of a BOSS HAT DAC in a couple of days. I'm hoping for big bump up in sound quality from that. I was thinking of building a 5VDC linear regulated PSU, but I think I'll just be lazy and get an iFi iPower. I'm currently using the stock Canakit 5VDC 2.5A wall wart.
--

Last edited: