Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Installation Issues

I downloaded the program from tim's site, & flashed the image onto a SD card.
i then installed the SD card into the Pi & connected the ethernet cable & started the system,
the boot sequence ends in "Moode login: "
i am sorry but i scanned the setup guide thoroughly but i do not see any reference to this at all.

Am i making a mistake somewhere. Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Ravi

I downloaded the program from tim's site, & flashed the image onto a SD card.
i then installed the SD card into the Pi & connected the ethernet cable & started the system,
the boot sequence ends in "Moode login: "
i am sorry but i scanned the setup guide thoroughly but i do not see any reference to this at all.

Am i making a mistake somewhere. Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Ravi

Hi, Ravi.

I'm not sure I understand your situation. It sounds like you are monitoring the Moode Player via a command-line interface. Why are you doing that (and how)? Is the webpage interface not functioning?

I ask because Moode Player is designed to be accessed and controlled via a web browser running on a separate machine connected to the Moode Player through either wired or wireless ethernet connection. The Startup guide is terse but complete in describing how to access the player either way.

Tim is away but there are lots of users checking the forum so ask away!

Regards,
Kent

Hello.
Yes i finally got it working, apparently i thought i could use my HDMI monitor to watch the player Boot up & then i could control it via an android phone. Either way your input & Tims email got me pointed in the right direction.

Although i do have another issue now. Apparently my old PC connects to the UI just fine, but when i use my new smartphone to access the UI no luck at all.
Wonder what i am doing wrong now?????

Hi, Ravi.

I'm not sure I understand your situation. It sounds like you are monitoring the Moode Player via a command-line interface. Why are you doing that (and how)? Is the webpage interface not functioning?

I ask because Moode Player is designed to be accessed and controlled via a web browser running on a separate machine connected to the Moode Player through either wired or wireless ethernet connection. The Startup guide is terse but complete in describing how to access the player either way.

Tim is away but there are lots of users checking the forum so ask away!

Regards,
Kent

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Ravi,

I think you're looking at the setup guide found on moodeaudio.org which I quote below:

"SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

1. INITIAL SETUP
a) insert sd card
b) connect USB or I2S audio device
c) connect USB storage devices
- Ethernet mode
a) insert ethernet cable
b) power on
c) http://moode"

Step c, as quoted, I believe to be a typo.

In other words, in your browser, on the machine that you are going to use to control the Raspberry Pi running MoOde, you need to type the following:

http://moode.local

The "local" in the above command in the browser causes the browser to look across your network and find the IP address for the Raspberry PI that was assigned by your router.

Hope that helps. Not trying to be Tim Curtis here; but, just trying to help since I know he's off line working on 2.8

Hi Kent,

I have the same problem with my pi zero and USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Phil

Phil, I haven't found a smoking pistol yet but I think my problem is two-pronged.

1) the location of the Moode Player and its distance from the access point result in marginal signal level. The numbers reported by Linux have to be taken with a grain of salt but for this particular adapter and driver typically I'm reading -60 to -70 dBm with a link quality typically 50/70. Some Internet gurus claim this is already too weak for streaming voice or video but normally my player hangs in there.

2) there a dozen WiFi access points in the vicinity and who knows how many non-WiFi 2.4 GHz radio sources like Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. I believe (but don't have a way to check) this environment is seriously degrading the signal-to-noise ratio.

My current working hypothesis is that some third source randomly overwhelms the weak signal. When I reboot and look through syslog I can see episodes where carrier is lost but then reacquired automatically as it should be. I haven't figured out yet why sometimes it isn't reacquired. The error messages reported from the wireless subsystem are arcane and I'm having to dig my way into sources.

This is a demo installation for my friend and she's more interested in listening to music than listening to me explain how to troubleshoot Linux:rolleyes: Temporarily, I've moved the RPi into an exposed location on the end of long wires which is unsightly but which gives us uninterrupted operation (signal level -41 dBm and link quality 69/70; Yay!). If I get the opportunity to experiment I'm going to use a peer-to-peer wired ethernet connection with the RPi to monitor the system in realtime instead of diagnosing it retrospectively.

Regards,
Kent

Hello.
Yes i finally got it working, apparently i thought i could use my HDMI monitor to watch the player Boot up & then i could control it via an android phone. Either way your input & Tims email got me pointed in the right direction.

Although i do have another issue now. Apparently my old PC connects to the UI just fine, but when i use my new smartphone to access the UI no luck at all.

To follow up on ultrafi's answer, you may have to use the dotted IP address for the player (in my installation it's 192.168.1.24) instead of the symbolic name. Whether either "moode" or "moode.local" works in your browser depends on the configuration of software running behind the scene.

Browsers on Apple iPhones and iPads can resolve .local names (they invented the zeroconf process that makes this possible, and named their implementation bonjour). So can browsers on my Linux (in Linux, the implementation is named avahi). Out of the box, however, browsers on Android-based systems, don't. Seriously annoying, since Android has implemented the necessary process (they named it network service discovery).

Regards,
Kent

Hi Tim,
I just came across the wonderful product and was looking to install it on a old rpi model B for now (in process of getting a rpi3) - my main thought is I want to have pihole and moodeaudio running together. Does moodeaudio work on a locked down OS? Is it possible to add in extra packages that would be required to run extra programs on there that just sit in the background? My wife would not be super happy if I order multiple rpi's which just do one thing at a time, that why I am looking to consolidate things into one.

Is there a way to install moodeaudio onto a clean jessie install? Or is the only way to get moode via the image available on your site?

Hi Tim,
I just came across the wonderful product and was looking to install it on a old rpi model B for now (in process of getting a rpi3) - my main thought is I want to have pihole and moodeaudio running together. Does moodeaudio work on a locked down OS? Is it possible to add in extra packages that would be required to run extra programs on there that just sit in the background? My wife would not be super happy if I order multiple rpi's which just do one thing at a time, that why I am looking to consolidate things into one.

Is there a way to install moodeaudio onto a clean jessie install? Or is the only way to get moode via the image available on your site?

Don't know how closely Tim is monitoring this forum at the moment, so let me throw in my own 2 cents worth.

The Moode image contains both the Moode Player software (mostly stuff in /var/www as well as mpd, a dedicated webserver, and other essential executables), the MoodeOS (Tim's customized Raspbian OS), and infrastructural stuff like management of boot-time loading of drivers. There's no Moode application package which can be installed on a working Debian-based OS.

In principle, one can bring up Moode, ssh into it, and then install Pi-hole from the command line by downloading and running its script. Liking a challenge, I'm doing this on a sacrificial Moode system as I type.

The first thing the script does is set a fixed IP address that will take effect on reboot. Then it downloads and installs lots of Raspbian packages to flesh out Tim's MoodeOS. These packages are needed to run its DNS queries and filters and bring up yet another webserver. Then it performs configuration steps. I thought these steps may be problematic for Moode but now that Pi-hole has installed and the RPi has rebooted (at my request), Moode was still in control and the Pi-hole admin web page was inaccessible (indeed, I don't think the Pi-hole webserver is running). That fixed IP address never took effect.

I didn't pursue this any further. It seems to me that since both applications want to control network interfaces, web servers, and the like, and depend on different packages in the Debian ecosphere, there is a good probability of them tripping over each other, as I just saw. Even if one could hammer out a working configuration with them peacefully coexisting, they have their own update cycles which means they may stop coexisting in the future because of a change made by one designer or another.

More to the point, why go to the effort? RPis are as cheap as a case of beer, a modestly good bottle of wine or two tickets to a movie. They are perfect for dedicated, single-purpose applications. Each can be tucked away in a different place. I'd want my Moode Player next to my stereo system, communicating wirelessly, and my Pi-hole DNS server hardwired to my router, but that's just me.

Like I said, just my 2 cents worth.

As an aside, I really like the well-written Pi-hole install script. Very competent.

Regards,
Kent

Hey Kent,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Also additional thanks for testing out a quick install of the pi-hole script. I have seen the issue occur before when I tried installing volumio2 and pi-hole together and after struggling for a while I figured I will move into something new. Seeing the issue here as well means I should ideally focus on other things. If I am bored I will play around later to see if things work. Just for my information, what is the ssh username/password?

I tried installing moode on a rpi last night and I like the feel of the software better than volumio so I will prob play around with it more today. I need to get it working with my DAC. I wanted to follow a more DIY approach for the DAC and built it up using schematics I found online on volumio forums. It worked well with volumio but I am not sure what settings I need to get it up for moode. The DAC is based on the PCM5122 IC on a custom IC board. If you have any suggestions for what to try, that would be really great!

Hey Kent,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Also additional thanks for testing out a quick install of the pi-hole script. I have seen the issue occur before when I tried installing volumio2 and pi-hole together and after struggling for a while I figured I will move into something new. Seeing the issue here as well means I should ideally focus on other things. If I am bored I will play around later to see if things work. Just for my information, what is the ssh username/password?

I tried installing moode on a rpi last night and I like the feel of the software better than volumio so I will prob play around with it more today. I need to get it working with my DAC. I wanted to follow a more DIY approach for the DAC and built it up using schematics I found online on volumio forums. It worked well with volumio but I am not sure what settings I need to get it up for moode. The DAC is based on the PCM5122 IC on a custom IC board. If you have any suggestions for what to try, that would be really great!

quoting myself because I didnt see an edit post option -
I actually figured out the DAC. So all is well. I will explore the other features on this.

Hey Kent,

MoodeOS is based on Raspbian, from which it inherits the default username "pi" and the password "raspberry". Aside: I get a squiggy feeling thinking about the RPis out there running with the default username/password. A network security nightmare.

Glad to hear you got your DAC sorted.

To quote Tim's tagline, enjoy the music!

Regards,
Kent

DHCPD in Moode?

hello folks.

just joined as I'm putting together a system for my van: RPi2 / RaspyPlay4 DAC / Topping TP-30 headphone amp / DEH-80PRS head unit for its amp and DSP / JBL Control One speakers.

I'm trying Moode after poor impression gained of Volumio interface performance, and reports of superior SQ (why would that be, given common heritage?)
Interface definitely more responsive I'm glad to say.

So, although I had to **** the Volumio distro in order to get Access Point wireless working, I was expecting Moode to do it automatically. When it didn't I went looking for hostapd and dhcpd/udhcpd services. I didn't find a dhcp server!

can anyone tell me how Moode serves DHCP ?

hello folks.

just joined as I'm putting together a system for my van: RPi2 / RaspyPlay4 DAC / Topping TP-30 headphone amp / DEH-80PRS head unit for its amp and DSP / JBL Control One speakers.

I'm trying Moode after poor impression gained of Volumio interface performance, and reports of superior SQ (why would that be, given common heritage?)

So, although I had to **** the Volumio distro in order to get Access Point wireless working, I was expecting Moode to do it automatically. When it didn't I went looking for hostapd and dhcpd/udhcpd services. I didn't find a dhcp server!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember that when I used AP mode it took a long time - several minutes - for the network to show up.

John

hello folks.

So, when I boot my RPi2B with USB WiFi adapter and a fresh Moode image, it comes up in AP mode. Looking at the running processes, I see

Code:
root      1002  0.0  0.5   8728  5584 ?        Ss   15:35   0:00 dhclient -v -pf /run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp
root      1088  0.0  0.6   8728  6348 ?        Ss   15:35   0:00 dhclient -v -pf /run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhc
root      1137  0.0  0.1   2564  1836 ?        Ss   15:35   0:00 /sbin/dhcpcd -q -w
dnsmasq   1184  0.0  0.2   6264  2488 ?        S    15:35   0:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dns
root      1302  0.6  0.3   5912  2972 ?        Ss   15:35   0:01 /usr/sbin/hostapd -B -P /run/hostapd.pid /etc/hostapd/ho
roo

It's hard to know what your starting point was. Maybe you'd already changed a setting and disabled the auto-AP mode.

Regards,
Kent

hello folks.

Hi,

What Moode inherits from the old ACX/Orion app is its basic architecture and UI design, otherwise Moode is a complete rewrite of the old ACX/Orion code base and runs on a new OS (moodeOS) which is based on Raspbian Jessie-Lite.

AP mode is started automatically if there is no SSID specified for Wifi (wlan0) on the Network config page. Dnsmasq provides dhcp service.

Look at /var/log/moode.log which shows the start up sequence.

-Tim

Thanks all.
I don't know why but the interface now indeed does have the 172.... address.
the only problem was my android devices reported 'authentication problem' and could not connect, so I commented out the hostapd.conf lines on wpa.
I don't know how to debug authentication issues (how?) but I am certainly happy running with an open network.

Do these players use different power supplies or is that another common denominator? In addition to my own misadventures with subpar power, I note the comment about power in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sd-cards.md

Kent

Three of them use 19V 'laptop' PS via the IQ Audio HAT. Three others use tested 2.5A USB wall warts, all are on 230V. I've got 20 or so wall warts of various manufacture, but have standardised on a specific tried-and-true wart that has proven to be durable and delivers enough power.

I went and swapped out all the SD cards on the weekend, connected two units to Ethernet, still get 'reconnect' regularly. This is in three different houses, all three have new 450-600MB routers with up-to-date firmware from Netlink and TP-Link - all three routers are using Atheros chipsets... I will dig out a modern-ish Broadcom chipset unit and see if I have the same issue.

One of the units already had a class 10 SD card and was exhibiting the issue, so I have to concur with Tim that it is nothing to do with SD card, although it won't hurt to have a C10, rather than a C4.

It's not a major issue, but as I had seen the reconnect message on so many disparate units, I thought I would check it out.

I have a few high-gain USB adapter/antenna which have been rock-solid in the past. I will put them through the mill as well and see if it is as simple as the Broadcom chipset embedded in the Pi.

I'm off to my jungle/equator home for four months next week - I will take a bunch of gear with me and spend the time productively looking deeper into RPi3 networking and see what tuning I can do.

I have a fairly comprehensive network lab there, which should allow me to model many different network situations.

Hi Mike,

I think it might be Pi3 integrated WiFi having some issues with Routers. Swapping in a good Wifi dongle and turning off integrated Wifi will test that theory out.

Send me some Jungle pics :)

-Tim

Sadly, while I was in NZ, my wife moved from our house that was surrounded by jungle, with all the snakes, spiders, monitors and monkeys, to a small kampong just a few km from the Malaysian border... it has a small garden, but is surrounded by other houses. It's nicer for security and access to services, but no more daily visits from the gray Langurs :(

Maybe I'll lose less cats to the apex predators there... so a win.

Hello.

Apart from using Android, nothing ;)

The '.local' DNS resolution doesn't work with Android (yet!) as they point their DNS resolution to Google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, rather than at your local wireless DNS server, which would allow them to resolve .local addresses.

You can fix it two ways - hard code your router's DNS into your phones network settings, or make your moode player a fixed IP and enter that IP into your android browser.

Three ways... buy an iphone :)